The Student Room Group

Russel Group uni acceptance after 2 years out.

I'm a former MechEng student at The University of Edinburgh. After starting straight after my A Levels in September, I withdrew in February after deciding I I didn't like my course / the uni to try to get onto an economics degree (I applied in January before I left, and given I am much more interested in economics I should have done that initially anyway).

After receiving five rejections, presumably due to my lack of economics experience, I now have to decide whether to apply for a course through extra / clearing or spend next year getting some work experience and try to get onto a course I would really like to do.

The main reason I left is that I was really unhappy because I didn't like the course, and I went straight into 2nd year, which made integrating difficult. I worry if I go for something in clearing that I'm not set on, the same thing will happen. I also fear being two years removed from my A Levels will affect my chances with the top universities (although I do have some good stuff lined up, so hopefully, I can fill It out).

I accept that, given my situation, I may not be able to go where I would like to, and I do not want to end up in the same position next year, but as I said, I may regret taking a course so that I can go back to uni in September.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!:smile:
Reply 1
You will not find any decent unis offering economics via clearing. Better to get some relevant work experience and apply for 2024 entry.
Original post by mike23mike
You will not find any decent unis offering economics via clearing. Better to get some relevant work experience and apply for 2024 entry.

This statement is nonsense. Every year there are about 1/2 dozen RG universities in clearing as well as other excellent universities. Rather than wait for clearing you could use extra now. A look at extra shows Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Sheffield and York are currently offering Economics along with many very good non RG universities including East Anglia, Lancaster, Loughborough, Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey and Sussex.

All are excellent universities and were members of the 1994 group

You basically have a choice. You can either apply now too one of these or wait until September and apply to higher ranked universities. The reality is that Economics is very competitive as you have found especially in London aand there is no guarantee you will get into the top universities if you wait.

What is worth asking is why you were rejected and by whom. One of the issues is often a lack of Maths at A level and a couple of the very top universities also look for Further Maths as well. Nottingham amongst the RG is one of the few university that doesnt require Maths at A level.

My personal view is that you would be better applying now to one of the universities available but yo you do need sure it is right for you as you have used your bonus years student funding in Edinburgh.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
This statement is nonsense. Every year there are about 1/2 dozen RG universities in clearing as well as other excellent universities. Rather than wait for clearing you could use extra now. A look at extra shows Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Sheffield and York are currently offering Economics along with many very good non RG universities including East Anglia, Lancaster, Loughborough, Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey and Sussex.

All are excellent universities and were members of the 1994 group

You basically have a choice. You can either apply now too one of these or wait until September and apply to higher ranked universities. The reality is that Economics is very competitive as you have found especially in London aand there is no guarantee you will get into the top universities if you wait.

What is worth asking is why you were rejected and by whom. One of the issues is often a lack of Maths at A level and a couple of the very top universities also look for Further Maths as well. Nottingham amongst the RG is one of the few university that doesnt require Maths at A level.

My personal view is that you would be better applying now to one of the universities available but yo you do need sure it is right for you as you have used your bonus years student funding in Edinburgh.

I applied to LSE ( on a whim ), UCL , Durham, Leeds and Edinburgh with A*A*AA in maths economics further maths and physics. LSE UCL and also Durham I know are very very high for economics so I’m not too surprised they said no and I knew at the time I applied I likely wouldn’t be offered a place but was a little surprised at the other too. These were all places I would have chosen over Edinburgh which is why I chose such competitive ones but I, perhaps foolishly, thought that at least Edinburgh would say yes. I didn’t really expect a yes but again I had hoped to worst case go back to Edinburgh. I’m doing a Cambridge summer school, got a good work experience thing in a big company coming up, and I’m also exploring tutoring and travel, plus my job.

I think my overall question is whether give all the above, if it’s worth taking the year out to try for the same or similar unis, or if given the general response to someone in my situation is such that it would be better to do what you have suggested. I’ve been to look at notts and lborough and wasn’t keen just in terms of the vibe I got but I’m also looking at Birmingham maybe.

Thanks anyway for the response I really appreciate it:smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by acloke
I applied to LSE ( on a whim ), UCL , Durham, Leeds and Edinburgh with A*A*AA in maths economics further maths and physics. LSE UCL and also Durham I know are very very high for economics so I’m not too surprised they said no and I knew at the time I applied I likely wouldn’t be offered a place but was a little surprised at the other too. These were all places I would have chosen over Edinburgh which is why I chose such competitive ones but I, perhaps foolishly, thought that at least Edinburgh would say yes. I didn’t really expect a yes but again I had hoped to worst case go back to Edinburgh. I’m doing a Cambridge summer school, got a good work experience thing in a big company coming up, and I’m also exploring tutoring and travel, plus my job.

I think my overall question is whether give all the above, if it’s worth taking the year out to try for the same or similar unis, or if given the general response to someone in my situation is such that it would be better to do what you have suggested. I’ve been to look at notts and lborough and wasn’t keen just in terms of the vibe I got but I’m also looking at Birmingham maybe.

Thanks anyway for the response I really appreciate it:smile:)

I’ll also say my original intention was to stay at Edinburgh but they said I’d have to apply via UCAS and I was advised that withdrawing for financial reasons was probably a good idea as they would very likely say yes so I took the risk, but then I was auto declined last week when they didn’t respond by the deadline.
Original post by acloke
I’ll also say my original intention was to stay at Edinburgh but they said I’d have to apply via UCAS and I was advised that withdrawing for financial reasons was probably a good idea as they would very likely say yes so I took the risk, but then I was auto declined last week when they didn’t respond by the deadline.

Auto decilne appears to be a problem more over the last couple of years. Personally I would suggest going elsewhere. Durham, LSE and UCL are very competitive and I suspect Edinburg is as well. Edinburgh has a problem with restricted numbers if you are Scottish as they are capped because of no fees in Scotland.
Reading your comments one of the the tjings that comes to mind is what about the vibe you dont like as that will help you look elsewhere. What does worry me is that you might be thinking only certain universities are good enough and the problem with that is they are very difficult to get into especially for a competitive subject like Economics as you have already found out.

Economics, Law and Computer Science have become the in subjects over the last couple of years and are extremely over subscribed. Top London universities are insanely competitive just because they are in London and students especially overseas students see it as the place to go. As an example Imperial make offers to 1 in 20 for CS.

If you do decide to take a gap year then apply to at least 2 very good universities that arent as in demand but still very good or solid choices. Places like Bath and Exeter come to mind.

One of the issues that come through in your thinking is that you seem to prefer Northern universities. Have a good look at Lancaster or York both really good universities. If you feel you want to be in a bigger city how about Sheffield or Liverpool alongside Birmingham. That is one of the reasons I suggest looking at why the vibe was wrong about the others and you can spend a week or so deciding rather tan make a rushed decision over clearing. The reality is that there wont be better options in clearing as the other universities have already decided they are likely to fill their spaces.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Reading your comments one of the the tjings that comes to mind is what about the vibe you dont like as that will help you look elsewhere. What does worry me is that you might be thinking only certain universities are good enough and the problem with that is they are very difficult to get into especially for a competitive subject like Economics as you have already found out.

Economics, Law and Computer Science have become the in subjects over the last couple of years and are extremely over subscribed. Top London universities are insanely competitive just because they are in London and students especially overseas students see it as the place to go. As an example Imperial make offers to 1 in 20 for CS.

If you do decide to take a gap year then apply to at least 2 very good universities that arent as in demand but still very good or solid choices. Places like Bath and Exeter come to mind.

One of the issues that come through in your thinking is that you seem to prefer Northern universities. Have a good look at Lancaster or York both really good universities. If you feel you want to be in a bigger city how about Sheffield or Liverpool alongside Birmingham. That is one of the reasons I suggest looking at why the vibe was wrong about the others and you can spend a week or so deciding rather than make a rushed decision over clearing. The reality is that there won't be better options in clearing as the other universities have already decided they are likely to fill their spaces.

Hi again. Thanks so much; I really appreciate the time you took to reply. I think I'll do exactly that. I'd like to give some of the more competitive unis a shot, but the last thing I want is to end up in the same situation this time next year, so ill apply to at least 2-3 of the places you mentioned.

I'm also considering applying to dual honours courses (namely Econ and maths) because I've heard they are generally less competitive. However, I don't know if that is the case for Econ and maths, particularly at the more competitive unis.

Thanks again:smile:
Reply 8
Check to see how competitive MORSE at Warwick was this year if that appeals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending