The Student Room Group

engineering at uni without maths a level

gotten my gcse results and was a grade off the required grade for maths a level, very close to it too in marks which was a pain. i dont struggle in maths at all but i tend to have major exam anxiety which really does affect how well i perform in certain exams, however i am working on this! i’m taking on a path of engineering which i would like to do a degree in at university. a levels i chose were physics, computer science, english (instead of maths) and epq. because i was not able to take maths a level, i know this does close a few doors on a few universities and such, but is there any other way around this? i would also like to try to study university internationally (us or canada), and i know the process to this would be by taking the act or sat which i’m looking to do as well as seeking out scholarship programs! but as for uk universities, how does taking a degree in engineering without maths a level work? any other options and recommendations would be helpful too!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovecats1969
gotten my gcse results and was a grade off the required grade for maths a level, very close to it too in marks which was a pain. i dont struggle in maths at all but i tend to have major exam anxiety which really does affect how well i perform in certain exams, however i am working on this! i’m taking on a path of engineering which i would like to do a degree in at university. a levels i chose were physics, computer science, english (instead of maths) and epq. because i was not able to take maths a level, i know this does close a few doors on a few universities and such, but is there any other way around this? i would also like to try to study university internationally (us or canada), and i know the process to this would be by taking the act or sat which i’m looking to do as well as seeking out scholarship programs! but as for uk universities, how does taking a degree in engineering without maths a level work? any other options and recommendations would be helpful too!

Strictly speaking, you can do A Level Maths privately since the exam boards don't require specific GCSE grades to study it (yeah, I'm annoyed as well).

You can alternatively try to persuade your college to let you study it since you're not off the required grade by that much.

The alternative to doing A Level Maths privately would then be to do a foundation year in engineering. The foundation year courses can be flexible with what engineering course you can later do, but they are a complete pain when it comes to transferring universities should you want to do your degree elsewhere.
Do note, some foundation year courses might only accept you if you picked the right subjects but missed the grades they asked for.

Other alternatives include:

Doing an engineering Access course - need 15 credits in maths and 15 in physics (if you didn't do physics at A Level)

Doing a BTEC in engineering - not as ideal because more universities accept A Levels

The other thing you would have to bear in mind is that maths and engineering are predominantly an exam based subjects pretty much all the way up to master's degree level. If you have exam anxiety, it's something you would need to really work on. If that doesn't resolve then it wouldn't make much difference even if you managed to get onto A Level Maths or onto a degree for engineering (and these tend to be more difficult).

What I'm surprised with is that your college would have lower requirements for physics, which is considered mathematical and en par in difficulty with maths.

In terms of studying in Canada or US, note that their SAT is similar in equivalency to our GCSE Maths and English Language to my understanding. Then the fact if you have studied A Levels, you are essentially have completed in their first year of Associates's or Bachelor's degree. I think you typically start picking your majors and minors in the 2nd or 3rd year.
You should also be able to get funding from the UK government to study abroad, but you would need to check on that.

Personally, I would speak to the college first to see what they say. If they say no, for whatever reason, then consider your other UK options before looking abroad.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Is paying to go to the US for a full 4 to 5 years feasible?
What grade did you get in maths?
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Strictly speaking, you can do A Level Maths privately since the exam boards don't require specific GCSE grades to study it (yeah, I'm annoyed as well).

You can alternatively try to persuade your college to let you study it since you're not off the required grade by that much.

The alternative to doing A Level Maths privately would then be to do a foundation year in engineering. The foundation year courses can be flexible with what engineering course you can later do, but they are a complete pain when it comes to transferring universities should you want to do your degree elsewhere.
Do note, some foundation year courses might only accept you if you picked the right subjects but missed the grades they asked for.

Other alternatives include:

Doing an engineering Access course - need 15 credits in maths and 15 in physics (if you didn't do physics at A Level)

Doing a BTEC in engineering - not as ideal because more universities accept A Levels

The other thing you would have to bear in mind is that maths and engineering are predominantly an exam based subjects pretty much all the way up to master's degree level. If you have exam anxiety, it's something you would need to really work on. If that doesn't resolve then it wouldn't make much difference even if you managed to get onto A Level Maths or onto a degree for engineering (and these tend to be more difficult).

What I'm surprised with is that your college would have lower requirements for physics, which is considered mathematical and en par in difficulty with maths.

In terms of studying in Canada or US, note that their SAT is similar in equivalency to our GCSE Maths and English Language to my understanding. Then the fact if you have studied A Levels, you are essentially have completed in their first year of Associates's or Bachelor's degree. I think you typically start picking your majors and minors in the 2nd or 3rd year.
You should also be able to get funding from the UK government to study abroad, but you would need to check on that.

Personally, I would speak to the college first to see what they say. If they say no, for whatever reason, then consider your other UK options before looking abroad.

wow thank you so so much for this!! will definitely look into some of these alternatives ☺️
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Is paying to go to the US for a full 4 to 5 years feasible?

for me personally, yes. i have a weekend job and have been saving, as well as actively looking for scholarship programs!
Reply 6
Original post by Talkative Toad
What grade did you get in maths?

a 6, although i got a 7 in mocks 😫

Are there not other schools in your area that allow you to take A-level Maths with a grade 6? I understand if you had gotten a grade 5 or lower but you got a grade 6 and I’ve seen some schools let you take Maths (not Further Maths) if you have a grade 6 or above.
Reply 8
Original post by Talkative Toad
Are there not other schools in your area that allow you to take A-level Maths with a grade 6? I understand if you had gotten a grade 5 or lower but you got a grade 6 and I’ve seen some schools let you take Maths (not Further Maths) if you have a grade 6 or above.

there are but i have already accepted a place at my sixth form today! i’ve heard that a level maths can be taken privately though so i may consider that as an option!
for me personally, yes. i have a weekend job and have been saving, as well as actively looking for scholarship programs!

If you're from a low-income family it's more than feasible if your application is competitive, but otherwise it's really not likely that you will afford it without family support
Reply 10
Hey. I got into uni for Mechanical Engineering without A Level Maths. I would say that your college confuses me. If they think your GCSE grades aren't enough for A Level Maths, why would Physics be fine? A good amount of the things learned in A Level Maths are used for A Level Physics especially the Calculus and Mechanics aspects. Since they're letting you take Physics, they should have let you take Maths too.

That aside, most of the unis I applied to were very adamant about A Level Maths even though I was doing a Maths-Physics access course. In such cases, you do a test. So, I had to self-study any extra A Level Maths topics they expected me to know, and take the specific Maths tests for all the unis. Unis like Nottingham didn't ask me for a Maths test but that's because they were content with the Maths modules I took. Unis like Bath and Bristol made me take extra tests and in Bath's case, a follow-up interview. I got offers from all three but I practically had to self-study A Level Maths on the side.

I'm not good at giving advice for school but hopefully, you can pick a thing or two from my experience. Ask your school for the A Level Maths.
(edited 8 months ago)

What grade did you get? We ask for a grade 7 but if someone who was expected to get a 7 just misses then we'll let them start A level.
there are but i have already accepted a place at my sixth form today! i’ve heard that a level maths can be taken privately though so i may consider that as an option!

I see, you have to pay fees though if you take it privately though I think but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Original post by Muttley79
What grade did you get? We ask for a grade 7 but if someone who was expected to get a 7 just misses then we'll let them start A level.

OP got a grade 6

I would speak to your teacher - if a 7 was expected they should let you start on a trial basis. That's what we would do ...
Original post by DarylO
Hey. I got into uni for Mechanical Engineering without A Level Maths. I would say that your college confuses me. If they think your GCSE grades aren't enough for A Level Maths, why would Physics be fine? A good amount of the things learned in A Level Maths are used for A Level Physics especially the Calculus and Mechanics aspects. Since they're letting you take Physics, they should have let you take Maths too.

That aside, most of the unis I applied to were very adamant about A Level Maths even though I was doing a Maths-Physics access course. In such cases, you do a test. So, I had to self-study any extra A Level Maths topics they expected me to know, and take the specific Maths tests for all the unis. Unis like Nottingham didn't ask me for a Maths test but that's because they were content with the Maths modules I took. Unis like Bath and Bristol made me take extra tests and in Bath's case, a follow-up interview. I got offers from all three but I practically had to self-study A Level Maths on the side.

I'm not good at giving advice for school but hopefully, you can pick a thing or two from my experience. Ask your school for the A Level Maths.

thank you for this!! will talk to them again about it :smile:
Original post by vapordave
If you're from a low-income family it's more than feasible if your application is competitive, but otherwise it's really not likely that you will afford it without family support

i wasn’t aware of this!! if family is low-income how does this increase chances? would it be easier for me to get scholarships or such?
Original post by Muttley79
I would speak to your teacher - if a 7 was expected they should let you start on a trial basis. That's what we would do ...

thanks!! will contact them first thing about a trial basis and see what they say.
thanks!! will contact them first thing about a trial basis and see what they say.

Explain you want to do Engineering ... get parents involved if you have to... They have nothing to lose by letting you try A level for a month ...
Reply 18
thank you for this!! will talk to them again about it :smile:

You're welcome. I hope the talk goes well. Goodluck on the A Levels journey :hugs:
i wasn’t aware of this!! if family is low-income how does this increase chances? would it be easier for me to get scholarships or such?

Most universities that are worth going to the US for operate on a full-need financial aid basis, meaning that your family will only pay what the university deems they can reasonably afford. If your family is on a low income this often equates to paying nothing :smile:

If you really are interested in the US, apply for the Sutton Trust US Programme when applications open in November. They basically take you through the whole process, and you get a free trip to the US in the summer!

Quick Reply

Latest