The Student Room Group

I want to wear an arabic name necklace - will I look weird for it?

I'm from a family of arabs, and I've always wanted one of those gold necklaces with my name on it in arabic. I can't actually read arabic (very well) but I've always thought of them to be pretty as arabic writing looks somewhat decorative imo, however I do have one dilemma: will I look weird / would you think it weird for a girl to wear one in a western country? I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.mynamenecklace.co.uk/Product.aspx?p=2226&m=302
I don't want people to think I'm attention seeking / want people asking "Oh so do you speak arabic? What does it say?" etc. Would I be better just getting one with my name in english?
I know that really I shouldn't care what others think, but if 90% or so of people think it's silly to wear one, than I would care. :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you're over-thinking it. I doubt anyone would care what language your necklace was in. If anything, you'd get compliments, Arabic is a good looking language to see.

No-one is going to think you're attention seeking, where what you want to wear, don't worry so much about what other people think
am getting an anch so no it wnt
If you like it, why not wear it? You can't spend your life worrying about what other people think, it'd drive you insane.
Why would you look weird?! :s-smilie:
If you like it..you like it
If you want to wear it...wear it

Why does it matter what others think? You shouldn't really care what others think only in cases where it may offend people obviously. But other than that.

Go. For It. :smile:

I have one of these myself :smile: <3
Reply 5
If you're and Arab or speak / read Arabic then i don't see why not, its not like you're one of those people that cant read / speak Chinese but insist on getting the Chinese symbol for peace or love tattooed on themselves lol
I often wonder why people need their name around their neck - are they likely to forget it?

However, I wouldn't think it being Arabic would make it weird. :dontknow:
Reply 7
A necklace with your own name on is the dumbest ****ing thing ever.

Also. Lololol. I can read Arabic and you can't. And I'm a full on whitey.

TRAITOR!12
Reply 8
So your name is Jameela? :sexface:

Just kidding. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, although I've always thought name necklaces can be a bit random. :smile:
Ooh I want one! & Nice name :tongue:
I would like to give you a pearl necklace!! Any danger??
Reply 11
I say go for it. If I saw you down the street wearing one of them I wouldn't think it weird at all because it's just a necklace, a small thing round your neck!
Most people probably wouldn't even know it spells out your name anyway, they'd probably just think it's a pattern or something :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
As long as it's not in letters like the Western alphabet, it won't look weird. I find sybolic alphabets to be beautiful, especially ones like Arabic :smile:
Terrorist! Irhabiiiii
Reply 14
Why? just incase you forget what your name is?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm from a family of arabs, and I've always wanted one of those gold necklaces with my name on it in arabic. I can't actually read arabic (very well) but I've always thought of them to be pretty as arabic writing looks somewhat decorative imo, however I do have one dilemma: will I look weird / would you think it weird for a girl to wear one in a western country? I was thinking of something like this:
I don't want people to think I'm attention seeking / want people asking "Oh so do you speak arabic? What does it say?" etc. Would I be better just getting one with my name in english?
I know that really I shouldn't care what others think, but if 90% or so of people think it's silly to wear one, than I would care. :redface:

its your heritage? why are you thinking about it so much?

how many people do you see with chinese or japanese lettering tattoos?
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous

or get one using a dead language such as Latin or use a made up language so nobody can tell what it means
If all else fails, use Wingdings or some equally as stupid font :smile:
It's just a necklace... life is far too short.
Sure, it'll be pretty. :-) No reason not to, it'll be quite unique too.
I have the best name necklace ever, in my opinion though. :excited:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending