The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi all ...

I have just started the Access to Higher Education Level 3 (Path to Social Work) in the North West. I am interested to find out if anyone is doing or have done the same? I am particularly interested in how universities view these courses, particularly Manchester Met and Salford. I am looking to hopefully apply for the L500 Social Work/Diploma in Social Work.

I am not sure if is still yet to be published but does anyone know if/whether the bursary funding for this degree is due to change in 2013?

Thanks
Reply 241
Hi. :smile:

I am looking forward to studying the Access to Higher Education in Health Studies this September. I was wondering, does anybody know where I can get hold of the syllabus so that I can get an idea of what to expect to study on the course?

Thanks.
Reply 242
Hi everyone,

I have applied for the Access to Medicine course at Lambeth College. I have passed the initial college assessments and have been invited for a group interview. Does anybody know what the interview entails? Are there any past or current students of this course out there who can shed some light on the course and the progression rate?

Thanks.
Reply 243
Hello,
I am new here and it looks like I will be starting the Acess to HE Course in September :smile:
My Main subjects will probably be Biology, Science and Maths. I have to go up to the college on Tuesday to have a chat about my final choice.

I am a bit nervous about doing this course! At 29 years old, I have been out of education for a while and with two kids at home it will be hard work but I cant wait :smile:
Reply 244
I've been doing my access taster for the past 2weeks now, I'm 20, nearly 21; and will be doing A Level Physics, Chemistry and Biology come Sept 2012 and then I'll be able to get into Uni for 2013 providing all goes well.

The people in the current taster are all mature and generally nice, no 17/18 year old "chavs" or intimidating persons. :smile:
Reply 245
Original post by Anon420

The people in the current taster are all mature and generally nice, no 17/18 year old "chavs" or intimidating persons. :smile:

Thats always good :smile:
I hope I wont have any "chavs" in my class!

I am also going the Biology route :smile:
Reply 246
hello recently i've been looking into the science access course as im really interested in radiography and thats what i want to study at uni but the only thing stopping me is that i have no background in science well i have a grade D gcse but its really making me hesitate. please anyone i think i need a boost. :confused:
Reply 247
Original post by mh165
hello recently i've been looking into the science access course as im really interested in radiography and thats what i want to study at uni but the only thing stopping me is that i have no background in science well i have a grade D gcse but its really making me hesitate. please anyone i think i need a boost. :confused:

That is what access courses are for! I got an E in chemistry GCSE years ago but I started an access course, got distinctions in all my chemistry units and am going to study pharmacy (which is all about chemistry).

Just do it.
Reply 248
Anyone else here applying at New College Swindon?
Reply 249
I had my interview today and got offered a place. My subjects will be Biology, Science and Geography :smile:
Reply 250
Original post by DaniD
I had my interview today and got offered a place. My subjects will be Biology, Science and Geography :smile:

Congrats, you starting this september?

I'm currently doing the access taster, don't all colleges do that? Every wednesday in May I go in from 9am-4pm and they just get us ready for what to expect on the main course. Then in June I go in for an assessment/interview.

I can't see it not being an issue... what did yours entail today? Doesn't seem to follow the same pattern nation wide, it's more determined locally. (How things are done)
Reply 251
Original post by Anon420
Congrats, you starting this september?

I'm currently doing the access taster, don't all colleges do that? Every wednesday in May I go in from 9am-4pm and they just get us ready for what to expect on the main course. Then in June I go in for an assessment/interview.

I can't see it not being an issue... what did yours entail today? Doesn't seem to follow the same pattern nation wide, it's more determined locally. (How things are done)

It was pretty simple to be honest. We just had an informal chat about my application, the subjects I want to do, what I want to do after the course and she explained the structure of the course. After I asked some questions, she said that they are offering me a place and we signed the paperwork.
We also set up time and date for the evaluation.

They dont do an Access taster here, which is a shame really. Would have been interesting.

where are you doing your Access course?
Original post by DaniD
It was pretty simple to be honest. We just had an informal chat about my application, the subjects I want to do, what I want to do after the course and she explained the structure of the course. After I asked some questions, she said that they are offering me a place and we signed the paperwork.
We also set up time and date for the evaluation.

They dont do an Access taster here, which is a shame really. Would have been interesting.

where are you doing your Access course?

How long did you have to wait after applying to be contacted for an interview?
Reply 253
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
How long did you have to wait after applying to be contacted for an interview?

I applied last week :smile:
It has all gone really quick.
Original post by DaniD
I applied last week :smile:
It has all gone really quick.

Wow. Lucky you. I applied just over a week ago, hoping to hear back sooner rather than later.
Reply 255
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Wow. Lucky you. I applied just over a week ago, hoping to hear back sooner rather than later.

I'm sure you will :smile:
Mine has probably gone a bit faster because I emailed the woman who is in charge directly because I had some extra questions. we then spoke on the phone and arranged this weeks appointment.
Reply 256
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Hey guys. Im 23 and will be applying for an ACCESS to HE this september. Got my intial assessment on the 17th. Can't wait to be honest. Need to get out of this "phase" I am in looking for minimum paid jobs. Where's everyone studying? I'm applying to a few colleges in the Birmingham area. Anyone got any idea what they want to study in university?

Jiraya.

Have you applied to Solihull College?
Original post by amushtaq
Have you applied to Solihull College?

Nope, City College, Handsworth Campus TBH. :smile:
Gah such a bad start on the 17th. Had the assessment on the day on my own. Done a level 2 maths and english test.

Was told I had to wait another 3 weeks for an interview. A week later got told I had successfully got onto the course without an interview. Result :smile:

I think my college is doing a "getting back into education" 6 week course pre sep if they get enough numbers. Any of you guys doing anything similar?

Thanks xD
Reply 259
Does anyone have an interview tips for getting on to access courses? I have one next Thursday, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to prepare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending