The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaniD
Hi Chelle,

yes, I had my acceptance letter :smile:
I also alreday know my timetable, but only because it turned out that I couldnt do the subject choice as I wanted it, so we discussed possible choices over the phone.

I am so excited about starting now and I'm glad I have found someone who will be there as well and might even be in one subject with :wink:

I'm hopefully going to be doing Access to Nursing there too!! Look after me please!! Lol xx
Reply 381
Original post by emmaloukat
I'm hopefully going to be doing Access to Nursing there too!! Look after me please!! Lol xx

Hello :smile:

great to find someone else who will be at Swindon New College :biggrin:

I'm not doing the access to nursing, but we probably still have biology together. My subjects are Biology, Geography and History.

Chelle1990, who posted above is doing the access to nursing at New college in Swindon, so you might share some subjects with her. :smile:

Where abouts are you from?

Daniela x
Reply 382
So I went for my interview today and was told I am an ideal candidate blah blah blah, and was given a conditional offer. Conditional meaning that I have to provide evidence of my GCSE English result. Trouble is, I haven't seen my certificates since about 2009. I'm not sure whether it was Edexcel or AQA that I did it with (will have to ring school to check), but if it is AQA then I can NOT receive a replacement certificate as they don't cover losses, and my interviewer reckons they will not take anything less than the certificate (so will not accept a Statement of Results) as evidence. I feel like I could cry - what a stupid thing to hold me back! :frown:
Reply 383
Original post by Tigrah99
So I went for my interview today and was told I am an ideal candidate blah blah blah, and was given a conditional offer. Conditional meaning that I have to provide evidence of my GCSE English result. Trouble is, I haven't seen my certificates since about 2009. I'm not sure whether it was Edexcel or AQA that I did it with (will have to ring school to check), but if it is AQA then I can NOT receive a replacement certificate as they don't cover losses, and my interviewer reckons they will not take anything less than the certificate (so will not accept a Statement of Results) as evidence. I feel like I could cry - what a stupid thing to hold me back! :frown:

I had similar problem, but my school wrote me a letter confirming my GCSE results (from 20 years ago) the college accepted that. my interviewer told me something similar to yours, but I later spoke to the Access lead tutor, who said they would accept it.

Can't guarantee but worth a try, as won't cost you anything, and the certificates can be expensive.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i
Reply 384
Original post by Soule
I had similar problem, but my school wrote me a letter confirming my GCSE results (from 20 years ago) the college accepted that. my interviewer told me something similar to yours, but I later spoke to the Access lead tutor, who said they would accept it.

I was told specifically they do not accept things like that but I have called up and I will try! If my exam was taken with AQA then I cannot get a replacement of the certificate, only a certified Statement of Results (which is apparently a universally recognised form of evidence, so not sure why they wouldn't accept it)? If my exam was taken with Edexcel then I can just order a new certificate no problem. Knowing my luck I know which one it'll be! Just waiting for my bloody school to give me some answers :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tigrah99
Thanks guys, casual it is :smile:
I didn't get a letter about an interview, it was a phone call out of the blue so I'm not very well prepared I must admit. I wasn't told that I'm needed to bring anything, however I suspect they may want to see evidence of GCSE results which I don't have? I lost the certificates a while ago when moving, I know I can get like a copy from my school but not sure how long that will take :frown:

I am pretty sure well 99% sure that they will make you do a level 2 in english and maths test. They can usually assess you through that so usually if you have lost/misplaced like I have then usually its not an issue. Might be an issue for university when you are applying around November. So try and get them by then? On that note, I have to do the same. :colone:
Original post by DaniD
Hello :smile:

great to find someone else who will be at Swindon New College :biggrin:

I'm not doing the access to nursing, but we probably still have biology together. My subjects are Biology, Geography and History.

Chelle1990, who posted above is doing the access to nursing at New college in Swindon, so you might share some subjects with her. :smile:

Where abouts are you from?

Daniela x

Oh I didn't realise that you were at New College :frown: I'll be at North Star! Damn.

Are you guys both from Swindon then? I'll be travelling in everyday from Devizes - going to be a long day/week! Lol.

Can't wait to start though. I was at Southampton studying Nursing in 2008 but i had to leave before the end of my first year due to some family things that were occuring at the time! Really looking forward to getting back into it again - its my life - haha how sad must I sound!! :biggrin:
Reply 387
Yes, we are both at New College :frown:
I will be travelling from Lyneham, which is quite a drive a s well.

Really can't wait to start now :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by samf1989
For the past 2 weeks I've been in college doing the pre-access ready for September, been doing practice English tests and should be finished next week.
I'm also off to the taster day on Thursday :-)

there is more info on the website now and its says my start date will be 24th of September I was hoping it would be the start :frown:
Original post by DaniD
Yes, we are both at New College :frown:
I will be travelling from Lyneham, which is quite a drive a s well.

Really can't wait to start now :smile:

Yes that is quite a drive! I shall be getting the bus as I don't drive :-( nightmare!!

It will be fun! Been looking at writing personal statements for uni already but looks quite scary and haven't a clue where to start!
Original post by emmaloukat
Oh I didn't realise that you were at New College :frown: I'll be at North Star! Damn.

Are you guys both from Swindon then? I'll be travelling in everyday from Devizes - going to be a long day/week! Lol.

Can't wait to start though. I was at Southampton studying Nursing in 2008 but i had to leave before the end of my first year due to some family things that were occuring at the time! Really looking forward to getting back into it again - its my life - haha how sad must I sound!! :biggrin:

Hi emmaloukat!

I did apply for Nursing course, but by the time they got around to giving me a interview (3 weeks after my application) New college had sent my accaptence letter and i started talking to DaniD :P And i've already looked at the nursery for the kids, so pretty set on new college now lol.

Was the interview for North star as bad as it sounded? Lol looked rather a lot to do just for a interview :P Not that i would have minded i knew i'd C*** up though haha!!

Im hugelyexcited to start as well :biggrin: Can't wait for my enrollement pack to arrive!

Does anyone here know about the childcare funding or the discretionary thingy fund?? Waiting for the informtation but there is nothing online for me to research about it :/

Hope your all have enjoyed your week! One week closer to september!

Enjoy your weekends!!

xxxx
Im looking at starting an access course this year and i have one question; is it better to take the course at the city where my choosen uni is going to be or does this matter at all?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by thelandlord
Im looking at starting an access course this year and i have one question; is it better to take the course at the city where my choosen uni is going to be or does this matter at all?
Thank you :smile:

it makes no difference :smile: - just as long as the course u do is geared to get u onto your preferred programme of study at uni, u may do it wherever and however u wish :smile:
Reply 393
I start my three day induction tomorrow, 9:30 - 15:00! Nervous and excited! I hope my course mates are nice. :biggrin:
[Is anyone studying an online Access to HE course?

I started mine in sept last year in order to start uni this year but had to put it on hold in January due to work commitments..so carrying on again from the end of this month to apply for sept 2013 uni intake.

What is everyone hoping to apply for at uni with their access qualification? I'm hoping to do dental therapy/hygiene as im a qualified dental nurse..but thinking about going for nursing and midwifery too cos i know its very limited for dental!..anyone else applying for any of these?

xxx :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 395
Original post by Jade190390
[Is anyone studying an online Access to HE course?

I started mine in sept last year in order to start uni this year but had to put it on hold in January due to work commitments..so carrying on again from the end of this month to apply for sept 2013 uni intake.

What is everyone hoping to apply for at uni with their access qualification? I'm hoping to do dental therapy/hygiene as im a qualified dental nurse..but thinking about going for nursing and midwifery too cos i know its very limited for dental!..anyone else applying for any of these?

xxx :tongue:

I completed an access course and am now going to train as a hygienist in September. It was the best thing I did...even though very demanding xxx Which Access course are you on Science? or health?
Reply 396
Hi I'm currently applying to do a certificate of he (legal methods) at birkbeck however, after looking around this site I was wondering what path would be better for me to get into the top unis? The certificate or an access course? If anyone has any advice id really appreciate it!! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by rosie999
I completed an access course and am now going to train as a hygienist in September. It was the best thing I did...even though very demanding xxx Which Access course are you on Science? or health?

I'm doing health professions.. I'm a qualified dental nurse so hopefully I I get the course completed ASAP I'm guna do a national cert oral hygiene.. As I want to apply for Newcastle and you need an extra dental qual apparently! How was the interview? I had an interview for Teesside to start this sept but unfortunately couldnt go due to work :frown: so has geared me on to apply again next year as i thought they must have liked my personal statement to consider me for an interview lol xxx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 398
Just thought I'd let you all know how my first induction day went.

Oh dear, it wasn't a great start. The induction started at 9:30, and I arrived at College at 9:15 so I was 15 minutes early.

Myself and others were instructed by the lady at the reception to go to a specific building and wait in a specific room. There was about 9 of us in total waiting for a good half an hour with no sign of any of the staff or other students. Someone from the group headed back to reception, and the lady said she'll look round to see if we were in the correct room.

Another half an hour passed with no sign of anyone, someone else from the group made a phone call and got told we needed to be in the Art and Design building on the other side of College. Moral of the story, we walked into a conference room jam packed with about 90 people squeezed in, and the induction had clearly already started. :shock:

Total lack of organization on their part to be honest but the induction leader did say more people turned up than expected.

Everything went more smoothly once we were put in groups, we toured the college than did pre-access study skills in the afternoon. Everyone parted their ways at dinner which felt bizarre and awkward despite being friendly and having somewhat of a laugh.

I got myself a cheese sandwich from the canteen which was awful so I binned it, spent rest of my dinner outside the classroom waiting like a tool.
:colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 399
Original post by itskimmy
Just thought I'd let you all know how my first induction day went.

Oh dear, it wasn't a great start. The induction started at 9:30, and I arrived at College at 9:15 so I was 15 minutes early.

Myself and others were instructed by the lady at the reception to go to a specific building and wait in a specific room. There was about 9 of us in total waiting for a good half an hour with no sign of any of the staff or other students. Someone from the group headed back to reception, and the lady said she'll look round to see if we were in the correct room.

Another half an hour passed with no sign of anyone, someone else from the group made a phone call and got told we needed to be in the Art and Design building on the other side of College. Moral of the story, we walked into a conference room jam packed with about 90 people squeezed in, and the induction had clearly already started. :shock:

Total lack of organization on their part to be honest but the induction leader did say more people turned up than expected.

Everything went more smoothly once we were put in groups, we toured the college than did pre-access study skills in the afternoon. Everyone parted their ways at dinner which felt bizarre and awkward despite being friendly and having somewhat of a laugh.

I got myself a cheese sandwich from the canteen which was awful so I binned it, spent rest of my dinner outside the classroom waiting like a tool.
:colondollar:

Sorry to hear your induction was so unorganised, I have a feeling mine might be the same! Since I applied I've been doing nothing but chasing them up as I've got nothing from them.. I think my interview was only the result of me complaining I had no acknowledgement of my application! And even for that I was told to go to the wrong campus, so thankfully I had the initiative to double check before I went.

In other news, I have finally spoken to someone at my college who has told me that a Certified Statement of Results will be evidence enough to get on the course (although given how I seem to get wrong information, who knows). So off I go to AQA to apply for one which should be here for the end of August for my induction, along with a letter from my school so I have plenty of evidence which they shouldn't be able to refuse! Looks like I'm back on track!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending