The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peachtwist
You know what, when I was 11 I just came home one day and announced I wanted to be a lawyer. I have very personal reasons that I won't go into on the main board as to why I want to study it, but a lot of it has to do with helping others. I also worry about lacking intelligence, so don't worry. What are your reasons for wanting to study it? No problem about the info, many people on this forum are those in A-Levels/Uni who took the traditional route to Uni. The Access is designed for those of us with bad GCSE's/A-Levels or those without either who want to progress further. :smile:

I hope you're planning on applying to more than one. You can apply for 5 and it's definitely wise to do so rather than hoping the 1 accepts you. Yeah, I've started my PS but I'm not at all happy with it and I'm struggling. I also can't seem to find any work experience in my area so I can't add that to my PS which is frustrating me. To be honest, I'm not doing any extra reading. Universities teach law as if you don't know anything about it, there is no expectation to know it, just have an interest and explain it in your PS. TSR has a lot of Law PS's you can read through to get some ideas flowing.

You can read them here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Law_Personal_Statements

You book the LNAT test yourself, usually it should be before January 15th.

http://www.lnat.ac.uk/ - this is the website.

There are 42 multiple choice questions and an essay section. All info you need on what it's about is on there and they do have some practice papers.

There are a bunch of other law applicants this year on the forum which you can find here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2033961

A lot of current Uni law students post on there too to give help/advice and can recommend anything you may need to help study for the LNAT though the website does say not to study for it, it does help if you do the practice tests as a general idea to get used to the format of it. :smile:

If you have any other questions, let me know!

One of my personal likes is lengthy replies, teehee so thank you for replying.

I understand that your reasons are personal so I shall not asketh. The reason I want to become a Lawyer (Solicitor/Barrister) is really and truely the money. Well soley a good reason is the money but the information that you just gain by being a Lawyer.

Since I have left school never amounted to much, kicked out of a few colleges and made a few idiot friends. Now being married and working minimum wage (and jobs which pay LOWER than the minimum wage sigh) has made me realise that I wish to amount to something and get a job which pays well.

The times have already changed, feels like we have gone back to the stoneage. Being Muslim have the constant fear of being chucked into Guantanamo Bay (for no reason may I remind you) and then being ignorant in the world of "human rights and is this really lawful, they be pissing on my head?". When you watch the movies and something/someone is being tortured by the Police/Army/Special forces? the first thing the victim asks for is his Lawyer which they always reply to "You shall never have a Lawyer Muhaha". I don't want to be in that situation. Really. Sounds stupid but ignorance in this world of self centered people can be costly.

Yeah will most likely be applying for a few more University's but if I get a bad grade on LNAT (if I decide to do it) then I will probably be only picking non LNAT Universitys. I haven't started my PS yet which probably needs to be on my todo list. Ahh, I thought you have to had like serious information on Law before you applied to a Law degree. Also looking for work experience, what am I meant to look for in terms of a good experience for Law degree?

I like lengthy replies, but doesn't mean you do. So on that sorry for the long reply. :colone:

Thanks again~
Just to let everyone know, I enrolled today, AND I have my timetable! I'm loving the fact that Wednesday is now just dedicated to Life Sciences :biggrin: Now I'm even more excited.

The only downside now, is that I have to wait another week to actually start! I have induction next week on Wednesday and Thursday, though, which isn't too bad.

Has anybody started their course yet?
I had a phone call from my college today asking me if I wanted to start my access course this year instead of next!! Really, really wanted to say yes but had to say 'sorry but it will be next year' :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 783
Hello
i am new to tsr I have just started an access to business course at Cardiff. Hoping to go to Cardiff university to study economics and finance. Would be very grateful to know if anybody else is doing business or has done it.
Thank
Reply 784
Original post by akpad
Is there anyone else out there who's received an offer for Access to Medicine and Dentistry at Lambeth College? I'm quite keen to get to know my future classmates!

hello, i have received an offer from lambeth for this year, have you done your ukcat? and do you have a work expeirence?
Reply 785
Aah, so much excitement in this thread:biggrin: I was in your shoes this time last year (seems like a million years ago). Now I'm getting ready to move to Cardiff to study Mechanical Engineering.

This year will absolutely fly past and you will be getting ready for uni before you know it. Would just like to wish everyone the best of luck! And enjoy it!! (I loved my time) :rock:
start my access course tomorrow, can't wait. Good luck to everyone else starting there access courses as-well, will be a tough year.
Reply 787
Original post by jamiedevine05
start my access course tomorrow, can't wait. Good luck to everyone else starting there access courses as-well, will be a tough year.

Same here! :smile: Nervous! Excited too, packed my "college" bag haha! Good luck to everyone starting their Access Course :smile:
Reply 788
I have got my first lessons tomorrow and on wednesday is official Enrolment Day! very excited and nervous :smile:
Reply 789
tomorrow is the big day, first 3 days even though its only an introduction week. it signal's the start

so good luck to everyone else starting , let the good time's roll
Reply 790
Hey, I just started on an Access course, I sort of rushed into it at the last minute so now I'm trying to figure out what my options for university are and decide what I want to do. I've known I wanted to go for a while but it's only recently I decided to do something about it. I'm fairly sure I want to study mathematics or something closely related, and if possible I'd like to stay in the north-west though I am open to moving further afield. I am studying Maths (L3, 21 credits), Biology (L3, 21 credits), Statistics (L2, 6 credits), Popular Culture (L2, 6 credits), HE Tool Kit (L3, 3 credits) and Study Techniques (L2, 3 credits). At GCSE my best was an A in maths, I only got a few others aside from that.

On my Access course I am confident I can go for top grades and I intend to apply for the best universities I can get into.

What are my possibilities with this realistically? What else should I be doing right now to improve my prospects?
Reply 791
Original post by Peachtwist
Well I was right about not sleeping.

Took a sleeping pill last night, went to bed at 10pm and woke up at midnight and I've been up since and it's now 6:02am. My alarm is set for 7:30 to get myself up and ready for enrolment. Figured I'd use today as a test to see how long I would need to get ready as I hate mornings and am always slow.

Have my enrolment from 9am-12pm today and then have a ton of other stuff that'll keep me away from home till 8pm. I'm dreading this whole day already, I'm going to be so tired.

Hi how was your 1st day at college? Hope you enjoy :smile: Amanda xx
Hey everyone. All the very best! Had induction today so I'm raring to go now :biggrin:
Reply 793
My course is in full swing now, just had first day of proper timetable :biggrin: Also will be starting an extra Maths GCSE class every Tuesday on top of it, which I'm happy about because I will have the chance to get in to the uni I want now. I'm finding it great so far, quite worried about the workload as I'm not the most organised person going, but so far it seems really good!
Original post by Tigrah99
My course is in full swing now, just had first day of proper timetable :biggrin: Also will be starting an extra Maths GCSE class every Tuesday on top of it, which I'm happy about because I will have the chance to get in to the uni I want now. I'm finding it great so far, quite worried about the workload as I'm not the most organised person going, but so far it seems really good!

I'm so jealous! I don't start until next week! I want to start now! I suppose induction on Thursday and Wednesday counts, but it won't be the same until I actually start!
Original post by Mand76
Hi how was your 1st day at college? Hope you enjoy :smile: Amanda xx

Howdy,

Just wanted to ask, what is the reality of getting distinctions across all the level 3 credits.

Thank you
Had my induction today. Couldn't believe it but being early didn't count today. The college was really disorganised and they really are having problems with bus passes/ advertisement which offered a notebook if you enrolled onto the college (found out later in the day). So glad that its only one year.

Received my timetable which consisted of Monday/Tuesday and Thursdays 9.15-3.00. Will most likely be trying to use/get a placement at a Solicitor's firm for experience and keep that going on for my Wednesdays off. Anyone else applying to Law?

Quite a few people in my class want to go into Social Work & Teaching and there is only lil me applying for Law. :frown:

Anyone else need ridiculously high amount of distinctions to get into their course at Uni?
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Anyone else need ridiculously high amount of distinctions to get into their course at Uni?

I know that the universities I've applied to (I'm applying for Diagnostic Radiography) are asking for:

Salford: 60 credits, 45 at level 3, 30 at distinction
Liverpool: Access to HE Diploma in Science/Health Studies. Including Distinction in all components. In addition, GCSE Mathematics and English at Grade C or above.
Leeds: Access to Higher Education Course in Health Sciences with a minimum of 45 level 3 credits passed at distinction.
Birmingham City: Access to HE Diploma in Health, Radiography or Science
Full award (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 including 24 at Merit or Distinction with a minimum of 18 in a Science or Health related subject and 15 at Level 2, must include Mathematics and English Language GCSE equivalent if not already achieved.

So, they look like they're all asking for high grades, but I'm sure they're manageable :smile:
Reply 798
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Howdy,

Just wanted to ask, what is the reality of getting distinctions across all the level 3 credits.

Thank you

If you fulfill the criteria of the assignment, do additional reading and add a little more detail in, and reference correctly, it is very doable. If I can manage anyone can.

If you do miss distinction your tutor will give you notes on what was needed so it is easy on the subsequent essays to get the distinctions.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i
Original post by ShadowWolf21
I know that the universities I've applied to (I'm applying for Diagnostic Radiography) are asking for:

Salford: 60 credits, 45 at level 3, 30 at distinction
Liverpool: Access to HE Diploma in Science/Health Studies. Including Distinction in all components. In addition, GCSE Mathematics and English at Grade C or above.
Leeds: Access to Higher Education Course in Health Sciences with a minimum of 45 level 3 credits passed at distinction.
Birmingham City: Access to HE Diploma in Health, Radiography or Science
Full award (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 including 24 at Merit or Distinction with a minimum of 18 in a Science or Health related subject and 15 at Level 2, must include Mathematics and English Language GCSE equivalent if not already achieved.

So, they look like they're all asking for high grades, but I'm sure they're manageable :smile:

So pretty much everything requires 100% distinction's. We just need to put our head down all year round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending