The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Today (well yesterday now) was pretty stressful, I spent my whole dinner chasing around trying to get hold of a member of staff to sort out a subject switch. I got told from another staff member what days Sociology is on, but I need to ask the Sociology course leader if there are any places.

Communication via phone isn't happening.
Communication via email isn't happening.
Speaking face to face isn't happening.

I'm getting stressed because the more days that pass, the more chance I'll be too far behind to switch or even catch up on the assignments. It's getting ridiculous, I might just have to put up and shut up, and just slum it through Biological Concepts that I loath. I know, I'm an idiot for taking it in the first place. :frown:

I really want to go onto University to study Psychology which I'm loving, but I know their lack of organization is going to give me a miserable college experience. Especially putting up with a lesson where you can't grasp the content, making it extremely un-enjoyable and uncomfortable which will just lead onto ultimate failure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by itskimmy
Today (well yesterday now) was pretty stressful, I spent my whole dinner chasing around trying to get hold of a member of staff to sort out a subject switch. I got told from another staff member what days Sociology is on, but I need to ask the Sociology course leader if there are any places.

Communication via phone isn't happening.
Communication via email isn't happening.
Speaking face to face isn't happening.

I'm getting stressed because the more days that pass, the more chance I'll be too far behind to switch or even catch up on the assignments. It's getting ridiculous, I might just have to put up and shut up, and just slum it through Biological Concepts that I loath. I know, I'm an idiot for taking it in the first place. :frown:

I really want to go onto University to study Psychology which I'm loving, but I know their lack of organization is going to give me a miserable college experience. Especially putting up with a lesson where you can't grasp the content, making it extremely un-enjoyable and uncomfortable which will just lead onto ultimate failure.

I know you aren't enjoying biology, but if you do have to stick with it, it will be beneficial for you in the long run. A lot of universities like psychology students to have studied more than one science before applying and state they will give preference to them. Psychology is included in that as a science as well.

I hope you do manage to switch, but if you should find you can't, then you might be at an advantage you didn't realise you had!
Reply 982
Original post by ExWunderkind
I know you aren't enjoying biology, but if you do have to stick with it, it will be beneficial for you in the long run. A lot of universities like psychology students to have studied more than one science before applying and state they will give preference to them. Psychology is included in that as a science as well.

I hope you do manage to switch, but if you should find you can't, then you might be at an advantage you didn't realize you had!

I managed to get an email back from the teacher I was looking for and she said she has concerns with switching because I'm so far behind and that I'll struggle to grasp some of the ideas from previous lessons. However, I am welcome to switch after Christmas when they start a new Unit.

I'll just try and ride out Bio-Con until after Christmas. The things is with Bio Con now, is that I've missed a lesson where they did a practical. The assignment is to write up about the practical, so now I need to try and sort out doing a practical on Friday which they might not be a lesson on that I can pop into.

So if I'm falling behind in Bio-Con, they may as well let me jump to Sociology now. The funny thing is, despite being behind in Sociology, I'd most likely to get better grades in that than I would if I stuck it out with Bio Con. No matter how many time I read my notes and revise etc, it just goes through one ear and through the other. I don't like the fact a lot of it's chemistry based, I hate it! I had no idea that it would entail Chemistry!

Thinking about it, I might see if I can switch to IT to replace Bio Con. The reason being is that I've completed a GNVQ and BTEC diploma in IT so it's safe to say I'll be able to catch up with no problem, and hit distinctions.

I know I have well and truly screwed myself over with everything, but as long as I am studying Psychology that is the main thing. It'll be better for me to do IT and get merits and distinctions than barely scrape a pass in Bio Con.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 983
hi...I am thinking about taking an Access course however I need to know when the exams are in 2013....especially June as I have had a big family holiday booked for a while now and obviously dont want it falling the same time as exams?? help!!

thanks
Original post by kateamy
hi...I am thinking about taking an Access course however I need to know when the exams are in 2013....especially June as I have had a big family holiday booked for a while now and obviously dont want it falling the same time as exams?? help!!

thanks

Access courses don't have set exam dates like A Levels do.

Any assignment that is exam based will be set throughout the year.
Access courses don't have set exam dates like A Levels do.

Any assignment that is exam based will be set throughout the year.

I have 2 set exam dates on my Access course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wild_flower
I have 2 set exam dates on my Access course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, as I said you will have exam dates, but you won't have exam dates set in stone that everyone in the country who is on on an Access course sits down and takes at the same time akin to A Level is what I meant.
Reply 987
Great thanks guys...what dates are your exams?? are they usually at the beginning of your course?
Reply 988
Original post by kateamy
Great thanks guys...what dates are your exams?? are they usually at the beginning of your course?

Why would the exams be at the beginning of a course? Usually exams test your knowldege on what you've been taught through the year.
Original post by kateamy

Well it depends on the module. For example I've already had an exam on psychology and after half term will be sitting a criminal law exam and level 3 maths (algebra and graphs).
Reply 990
I have around 2 exams a term, sometimes more. It depends what course you're doing really.
Reply 991
I'm doing access to health and need to know if there be exams in June?
I'm doing Access to Health but have no exams, I think it depends on the college and how they are panning things out. My Human Physiology tutor told us that the tutor before did exams but she decided to set assignments to show our knowledge instead.

So I guess best to ask.
Reply 993
Original post by kateamy
I'm doing access to health and need to know if there be exams in June?

Have you not been told by your tutors? Normally with Access courses they have a couple of exams, and it's spread across the year.
We have an exam each time we hand in an assignment. So that's around 3/4 each term. We have the assignment which make up most of the grade and the exam is there to make sure that you understand the subject matter without the aid of books or anything. The questions tend to be quite similar on both, or at least they were for the chemistry exam the other day.
Reply 995
when i did my access course last year (now in uni) we had one timed essay exam in the november and 4-5 exams at the end of the year aswell as about 6 courseworks if not more to hand in through out the year (psychology and criminology)
Reply 996
Did you have exams at the end of december? or at the end of the academic year as in May/June?
Anyone here finding it really hard to reference essays!? Really bugging me, one essay wants harvard the other standard! It's the only thing about the course (apart from pointless basic ICT) that makes me want to cry :'(
Original post by Chelle1990
Anyone here finding it really hard to reference essays!? Really bugging me, one essay wants harvard the other standard! It's the only thing about the course (apart from pointless basic ICT) that makes me want to cry :'(

I would go with Harvard. It is the most universal referencing system, and you won't get marked down for using it.

Unfortunately you need to get used to it. This is one of the benefits of the Access to HE course, that it teaches us to reference correctly. Universities will want good referencing and bibliographies.
I would go with Harvard. It is the most universal referencing system, and you won't get marked down for using it.

Unfortunately you need to get used to it. This is one of the benefits of the Access to HE course, that it teaches us to reference correctly. Universities will want good referencing and bibliographies.

I know i need to get use to it. Just felt like having a little whinge :smile: It just seems the most mundane thing presents such a challange to me. Hoping someone might share my pain lol. Any tips to getting it right? Or making it easier? Taken me 5 weeks to nearly get a grasp of it. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending