The Student Room Group

Access to HE 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
The access has definitely got harder! I originally done it in 2003 and it was not graded the same way! It is far more intense now and prepares you for uni a lot more!

My work load was English:
1 in class group disscusion
2 assessments on short stories
2 summaries on poems
1 essay on Frankenstein
1 essay on the crucible
1 essay on poem comparison

history
1 individual PowerPoint presentation
2 group discussions
3 in class essays (open book timed exams)

sociology
1 individual presentation
1 group discussion
3 essays (on different topics)
1 set of questions to answer (this was rather extensive not easy)

psychology:
2 in class exams
4 essays

study skills
1 in class discussion
1 report
3 essays
1 in class exam
2 portfolios (for communication, note taking)

Math:
4 in class exams

ICT:
8 separate small pieces of work, and then a final report combining math and ICT (using spreadsheets, graphs research equations etc)

a final essay on a topic of your choice which was 4,500 words (and had to include literature review, action plan etc)

A final oral presentation on the final essay!

We could only fail 2 pieces of work (so one module)

math ICT and study skills had to be passed or you fail the course!

Needless to say there was a lot of work
Handing in my last assignment today! I know i don't have enough credits at distinctions for my firm and i don't really want to go to my insurance anymore, so i think i may have to look in clearing. Did Access to Science, which was quite tough, missed out on distinctions by a few marks in some exams, but it's been a great experience. I think i'm a pro at referencing now :-)
Just found out that I'm looking at 57 credits @ distinction rather than 51 :biggrin: (and 3 @ Level 2 but they don't matter :P )
Original post by Little Isis
Handing in my last assignment today! I know i don't have enough credits at distinctions for my firm and i don't really want to go to my insurance anymore, so i think i may have to look in clearing. Did Access to Science, which was quite tough, missed out on distinctions by a few marks in some exams, but it's been a great experience. I think i'm a pro at referencing now :-)

that's a shame to hear that! I'm studying access to science as well and we didn't have any tests that affected our grades. where are you studying yours?
Reply 1264
Just finished my access course and made my offer for Sheffield University. Looking forward to a break now and then starting in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by margyrain
that's a shame to hear that! I'm studying access to science as well and we didn't have any tests that affected our grades. where are you studying yours?

Cool! What subjects did you do? I did Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths on top of IT and study skills. In North West London, how about you?
Cool! What subjects did you do? I did Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths on top of IT and study skills. In North West London, how about you?

Chemistry, Biology, English and Lvl 3 Maths. I've done mine at Dudley i wish i could have done physics :frown:
Chemistry, Biology, English and Lvl 3 Maths. I've done mine at Dudley i wish i could have done physics :frown:

Haha, i hated physics, i actually dropped the modules. What are you hoping to study in uni, what are your offers?
Original post by MrsGuyMartin
Has the access course changed much? I did it to get into university but it didn't prepare me at all, for the huge work load Etc

Lol. Uni is definitely different, but I actually found the year of Access more intensive than my first year of a degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vertigo2012
Lol. Uni is definitely different, but I actually found the year of Access more intensive than my first year of a degree.

It's deffo changed then lol my course was really laid back and chilled out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, i hated physics, i actually dropped the modules. What are you hoping to study in uni, what are your offers?

ahhh im jealous! im studying chemistry and i had offers from Bristol, Sussex and Newcastle wbu?
Im just coming to the end of my access course in art and design. I have applied for BA Architecture and have offers from London South Bank and Birmingham city. I will be the first person to be accepted on to Birmingham citys architecture programme from an access course, which i am extremely proud of. And ill be the first to go on to an architcture course from the access course i am doing!! im deffering a year so before i start im going to do a BTEC Subsidiary diploma in construction and the built environment (i dont need to do this, i just want to as ive got to deffer a year i want to be kept on my toes)
Original post by EMassey
Just found out that I'm looking at 57 credits @ distinction rather than 51 :biggrin: (and 3 @ Level 2 but they don't matter :P )

Snap! Good to see another 100%. I've just got the same on a pathway to social work. What pathway were you on?
Reply 1273
100% for me to. 60 credits at level 3, all at distinction. Ive had to drop nine credits though to make way for 9 level 2 credits? Anyone else had to do this?

So 60 level at distinction, although only 51 will count.

And 9 level 2 credits through Maths and English exemptions.

Got my offer anyway as only needed 30 distinctions. :awesome:
Original post by Chris Corrie
Snap! Good to see another 100%. I've just got the same on a pathway to social work. What pathway were you on?

Well done :biggrin:

I did Humanities and Social Sciences.
All done with mine, ended up with 60 credits at level 3 - exactly half merit and half distinction! Could have done better I feel, but lost my drive majorly halfway through. However, have got enough for my firm, which is great! Bring on uni :smile:
ahhh im jealous! im studying chemistry and i had offers from Bristol, Sussex and Newcastle wbu?

I had offers from Man met, Bath spa, Stirling, Keele and Reading. I firmed Reading, insured Stirling, all for Psychology and Biology.
Reply 1277
I ended up with 15 merits, 6 distinctions and the rest at pass. I could of done better but unfortunately had family distractions.

I've not met my offer but hoping to be put on the foundation year as opposed to re-doing the Access Course.

Does anyone know when we get our certificate and portfolios back?
Original post by itskimmy
I ended up with 15 merits, 6 distinctions and the rest at pass. I could of done better but unfortunately had family distractions.

I've not met my offer but hoping to be put on the foundation year as opposed to re-doing the Access Course.

Does anyone know when we get our certificate and portfolios back?

What was your offer/which university and what was you looking to study? if you don't mind me asking.

You may find, that towards, August, or when clearing opens up, you might be able to "haggle" your way into your course, if you slightly missed the offer. Ring up the university and ask them, if they had any places on reserve for people who missed their offer.

Are you sure your results are final? We have a "Pre Fab (internal)" and "Fab (external)" moderators check our work. The final "Fab" is this Monday, results can go up and down if you are with OCR/Ed excel or the organisation that is marking your work.

Have you already had your official results day? My tutors advised me, that on the official results day, we would be getting all our work back and that certificates would be mailed to us during August. Mines next week Wednesday 10th July. Dreading it.

Either way, your grades are still awesome. Don't beat yourself up, Access course is hard !
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1279
Original post by Jiraya Sama
What was your offer/which university and what was you looking to study? if you don't mind me asking.

You may find, that towards, August, or when clearing opens up, you might be able to "haggle" your way into your course, if you slightly missed the offer. Ring up the university and ask them, if they had any places on reserve for people who missed their offer.

Are you sure your results are final? We have a "Pre Fab (internal)" and "Fab (external)" moderators check our work. The final "Fab" is this Monday, results can go up and down if you are with OCR/Ed excel or the organisation that is marking your work.

Have you already had your official results day? My tutors advised me, that on the official results day, we would be getting all our work back and that certificates would be mailed to us during August. Mines next week Wednesday 10th July. Dreading it.

Either way, your grades are still awesome. Don't beat yourself up, Access course is hard !

I applied to do Psychology at Hull University, I received a conditional offer of 45 merits.

Even if I could haggle my way in, I've missed out on a lot of lessons during the Access course so I think I'd rather do the foundation year so I can up my game.

I'm not sure, all I did was hand my portfolio. Myself and my personal tutor counted my credits up. I guess like you said, it could go up or down at the moderation. I'm hoping it goes up or stays the same.

I didn't get a date for an official results day so I have no idea what is happening. I guess I'll have to ring the College to find out.

Thanks. :smile: I had many obstacles to overcome so my grades were not as good as they could of been but I am still pleased with the outcome. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending