The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
It was pleasing but I've no savings.

How much you on now?

I've saved up about £12,000 now because I was absolutely working my arse off through last summer and over Christmas, but it's stagnated during term times because I honestly couldn't hack working at my degree and my job simultaneously.

I won't be working over easter as I have my final year exams at the end of May, and another block after Easter complete as well, so need to revise a lot. As soon as my final exams are finished though, I'm going to start working again.

What about you?
Reply 481
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
I've saved up about £12,000 now because I was absolutely working my arse off through last summer and over Christmas, but it's stagnated during term times because I honestly couldn't hack working at my degree and my job simultaneously.

I won't be working over easter as I have my final year exams at the end of May, and another block after Easter complete as well, so need to revise a lot. As soon as my final exams are finished though, I'm going to start working again.

What about you?

Well this being second year I've put more effort into university and studying so opted not to get a job until late May, as a result of this, some unexpected costs and too generous spending, i have no savings right now.
Original post by Rakas21
Well this being second year I've put more effort into university and studying so opted not to get a job until late May, as a result of this, some unexpected costs and too generous spending, i have no savings right now.

Stick in mate, onwards and upwards. What kind of jobs will you be applying for?
Reply 483
Stick in mate, onwards and upwards. What kind of jobs will you be applying for?

This summer just your usual part time jobs.
Got Virgin media at home?
You get a good discount on a monthly contract. My £15a month unlimited texts 600 calls 1gb data costs £7.99 just cos we have Virgin broadband (no tv service).

Spotify premium £4.99 a month for students
Well, i spent up again.

How are you all doing?
Original post by Rakas21
Well, i spent up again.

How are you all doing?

As in you've just made a lavish purchase :tongue: ?

Unfortunately, my savings have regressed somewhat, as I currently have £10,500, whereas I had almost £12,000 a year ago, this is due to uni commitments and not being able to work as much :/

What about yourself?
As in you've just made a lavish purchase :tongue: ?

Unfortunately, my savings have regressed somewhat, as I currently have £10,500, whereas I had almost £12,000 a year ago, this is due to uni commitments and not being able to work as much :/

What about yourself?

Bits for the computer through the year, should have saved it really.

Anyhow, another year (graduating too).

Any others saving, come let us know here.
Amazon Prime for students goes without saying. Get it and then set it to ditch after the 6 month trial ends.

Looking at ISAs - one or two years, to save my uni fee money wisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
Amazon Prime for students goes without saying. Get it and then set it to ditch after the 6 month trial ends.

Looking at ISAs - one or two years, to save my uni fee money wisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is more for saving actually money.. do you have such a goal?
Original post by Rakas21
This thread is more for saving actually money.. do you have such a goal?

Don't we all? Anything that reduces expenditure can be called 'saving money'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
Don't we all? Anything that reduces expenditure can be called 'saving money'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True.

I should have said accumulating capital rather than cutting expenditure though it's all good advise.
Original post by Rakas21
True.

I should have said accumulating capital rather than cutting expenditure though it's all good advise.

The only way I'm accumulating capital at the moment is by working. Though I do plan to get into shares/bonds at some point when I understand what's going on. And matched betting also appeals, but seems to be a short-term thing and not too reliable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loans are a big pain in the ass, I dont drink, work part time and I still struggle lol
It'll be the same when you work, for some reason more money = more problems! Mainly because you don't want to spend any savings you have so you end up living pay slip to pay slip. I thought a new job I just got would have a good pay rise but it's almost the same but great prospects once I finish the study so much like uni you just have to believe it'll all work out.

Posted by 2013's Best Christmas Tree Winner, from TSR Mobile
Well, i left uni with zero savings in the end. Currently looking for work.

How much have people managed to save?
Reply 496
Original post by Rakas21

I had about £2000 left after uni.
Original post by Rakas21

Two years later and I've worked up to just under £6k in savings :yy: However I am going back to uni in January and will be using it to live.

Would've been nearly £6.5k but I spent too much on my credit card and had to clear it down :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending