The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachel_Joanna
By the way, is this everyone's first year of applying for a Postgrad course in SLT or are some people trying for the second time? I've heard that lots of people have to apply several years running because it is SUCH a competitive degree!

this is my 2nd year of applying...its really disheartening - I didn't apply for any undergrad courses last year tho so im hoping that if im unsuccessful with the postgrad courses again this year il have something to fall back on x
Original post by Claire-H
I've just found out i've got an interview for one of the above jobs :smile: Yay! x

Sorry to hear about Reading.. but well done on the job interview! :smile:
Thank you so much!! Yeah I hope so, but I had to email City back in December to make sure that they had recieved my application because I hadn't heard anything from them! Ahhh this is so stressful!! x

By the way, is this everyone's first year of applying for a Postgrad course in SLT or are some people trying for the second time? I've heard that lots of people have to apply several years running because it is SUCH a competitive degree!

It is stressful I agree! City's communications aren't great from my experience.

It's my first year of applying. I will be pretty disheartened if I have to wait another year to apply again. I'm determined not to do an undergraduate degree again though which of course is a more feasible option.. it would take too much time. 3.5-4 years not being able to earn money would be too much for me.
Reply 283
Anyone else get an interview for sheffield??
Reply 284
Original post by crescent

Oooh well done! Good to hear they are finally getting back to people! How did you hear? email/letter?
Reply 285

well done! don't think anyone else here has heard from them yet.
Reply 286
Thanks! so happy to even get an interview! already got rejected from Reading. Got the email on Tuesday about Sheffield. There's a group discussion, a listening test and short exercise, and an individual discussion with a member of staff.
Reply 287
Thanks! so happy to even get an interview! already got rejected from Reading. Got the email on Tuesday about Sheffield. There's a group discussion, a listening test and short exercise, and an individual discussion with a member of staff.

Well done!! :smile:
Reply 288
Hi guys :smile:

Emailed Sheffield after Crescent posted about the interview. They said:

'The course is heavily over-subscribed however we are hoping to contact all applicants in the next couple of weeks, so please check your emails and postal mail from next week onwards.'

:smile: x
Original post by Rach_L
Oh I know, references were such a nightmare!! Pretty sure my referees hated me by the end of it and I felt so guilty with how much they had to do!

I have everything crossed for City too, I feel a lot more hopeful about it because of the larger intake compared to the others...

I have an offer from Leeds Met (Undergrad) which is good as it means I know I am definitely going somewhere in Sep. Would much prefer a postgrad though so still really nervous!

Hopefully we will hear from City asap, good luck!! x

Oh wow, congratulations on your offer from Leeds Met! You must be so relieved :smile:
Good luck in your postgrad applications too! I really hope we hear from City soon! x
Original post by paperlily3
It is stressful I agree! City's communications aren't great from my experience.

It's my first year of applying. I will be pretty disheartened if I have to wait another year to apply again. I'm determined not to do an undergraduate degree again though which of course is a more feasible option.. it would take too much time. 3.5-4 years not being able to earn money would be too much for me.

Yeah I agree, it will be so disheartening not to get in this year. Filling out all those application forms and writing personal statements took FOREVER!! I don't really want to do another undergrad course either because I turn 23 this month and another 3 or 4 years is a long time. However I think I might have to apply to both postgrad and undergrad courses in the Autumn if I don't get into City this year.
Original post by rachel2011
this is my 2nd year of applying...its really disheartening - I didn't apply for any undergrad courses last year tho so im hoping that if im unsuccessful with the postgrad courses again this year il have something to fall back on x

Aww i'm sure that you will definitely get in this year. Applying to the same universities two years running must prove to them that you really, really want to do SLT! Lots of good luck to you :smile: x

congrats on the interview!
Reply 293
Original post by Claire-H
Hi guys :smile:

Emailed Sheffield after Crescent posted about the interview. They said:

'The course is heavily over-subscribed however we are hoping to contact all applicants in the next couple of weeks, so please check your emails and postal mail from next week onwards.'

:smile: x

oooh...next week onwards though ahh i can't handle all this waiting!!!!!! X
Reply 294
Hi everyone, I've just found this forum and can't believe how much useful information there is here (and also how competitive it seems to be to get a place on the MSc courses). I've applied for Postgrad courses and have been rejected by Newcastle, but offered interviews from UCL (already done), Reading, Sheffield and Essex. Still heard nothing from City but that looks to be quite normal judging by other people's experiences. But my goodness all this waiting is killing me...
Reply 295
Hey there! I've my interview at UCL next week - just wondering if they gave you any idea of when they'd start offering places? Hope we won't have too much longer to wait!! Also how long do the individual interviews last for roughly? Getting nervous now! and Good Luck xx
Reply 296
hey- they said end of February at the absolute latest, but in reality it should be much sooner than that. I think they finish interviewing next week, so hopefully soonish! The individual interviews are 20 minutes long but felt MUCH quicker, I thought they were chucking me out after 5 minutes. They were really friendly though which was a pleasant surprise! Good luck with your interview, have you applied anywhere else?
Reply 297
Thanks! Haven't applied anywhere else so all my eggs are in the UCL basket ... eep!!!

Yes! Just got the e-mail this afternoon. I'm worried about getting time off work for it.. wish they could give more warning!
Reply 299
ARgh so jealous. But congrats all!

Quick Reply

Latest