The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sineadp
Hi all, well rejected from my last option City, very depressing!!
I wondered if the guys on here who did get in (well done to all of you!) might be able to give us some tips as to what they have been doing, working as, volunteering etc to help with our application next year! I know for example my first degree is not that relevant but was told for City this wouldnt be a problem if I could show enough of the other exp, clearly I need more!

It would be great if people could (and had the time of course!) to say:
- what they work in currently (is it relevant, related?)
- what kind of volunteering exp do they have (on what sort of regular basis)
- how they described this in relation to SLT on their applications

I know this is a big ask but if you do have any tips I would be so grateful!!

x

Sineadp I got rejected from my last option as well!! Its super depressing isn't it? x
Guys Im so sorry to hear that that really sucks :frown: Maybe email them or ring and ask why you wern't successful?

I STILL havn't heard anything back from City, do you think I should ring? It seems most people have heard whether they've been accepted or rejected by now :/
Original post by perri winkles
Guys Im so sorry to hear that that really sucks :frown: Maybe email them or ring and ask why you wern't successful?

I STILL havn't heard anything back from City, do you think I should ring? It seems most people have heard whether they've been accepted or rejected by now :/

I'm the same as you, not heard anything. So agonising waiting!
Reply 383
I'm still waiting too. Just wanna know now because I feel like im holding onto some false hope that I might still get in :frown:
I know Im the same thinking maybe there's a chance?! I don't know. I have my UEA undergrad interview next week so really want to know before then so I won't be worrying needlessly over it.

I just keep refreshing my email over and over again!
Reply 385
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
I got a rejection email from City this morning :frown:
So I am now totally out of the equation, because Reading rejected me too and I didn't apply
anywhere else.

You could apply to essex. worth a shot maybe?

Got the rejection email too, boo. UCL interview was quite hard, not sure if I made a good impression :s-smilie:
Reply 386
I'm the same, haven't heard a thing. :frown: I was most hopeful for city seeing as it was the biggest intake..so now I don't feel optimistic at all for ucl or essex. So glad I applied undergrad too. Ahhh keep posting on here if anyone hears anything! X
Reply 387
I haven't heard anything from City yet either, despite sending an email to Keti and an email to the health@city address!!! I have a horrible feeling that my application isn't even being considered as I had so much trouble with references around the deadline time.. but I wish someone would get back to me :frown: I'm pretty certain it will be a no now, but a tiny part of my is hoping still x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 388
Original post by perri winkles
I know Im the same thinking maybe there's a chance?! I don't know. I have my UEA undergrad interview next week so really want to know before then so I won't be worrying needlessly over it.

I just keep refreshing my email over and over again!

I keep refreshing my email too! I had my phone on my desk at work and I just kept refreshing my email page every 5 minutes!!! I just want to know yes or no!x
Reply 389
Just wondering when people actually applied? I waited till the last day to submit my application. Just wondering would that have anything to do with not hearing back yet??
Reply 390
Original post by crescent
Just wondering when people actually applied? I waited till the last day to submit my application. Just wondering would that have anything to do with not hearing back yet??

I applied 2 days before the deadline and haven't heard anything x

PS Anyone heard from Sheffield yet? x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 391
Original post by Claire-H
I applied 2 days before the deadline and haven't heard anything x

PS Anyone heard from Sheffield yet? x

I've an interview with them next week. think it may just the start of interviews though, and they only gave me two weeks notice.
Reply 392
Original post by Kath_H
Good luck to you guys waiting to hear back from City! Got my fingers crossed for you.

Anybody going to the Newcastle interview on Friday?

Xxx

Yes Kath_H, I am going to be there! How are you feeling about it. Did I read you were an undergrad there too?
Hey I'm really sorry for everyone who didn't get the place they were hoping for. Fingers crossed for those of you who haven't heard yet.

Original post by sineadp
Hi all, well rejected from my last option City, very depressing!!
I wondered if the guys on here who did get in (well done to all of you!) might be able to give us some tips as to what they have been doing, working as, volunteering etc to help with our application next year! I know for example my first degree is not that relevant but was told for City this wouldnt be a problem if I could show enough of the other exp, clearly I need more!

It would be great if people could (and had the time of course!) to say:
- what they work in currently (is it relevant, related?)
- what kind of volunteering exp do they have (on what sort of regular basis)
- how they described this in relation to SLT on their applications

I know this is a big ask but if you do have any tips I would be so grateful!!

x

Are you only looking for this from people who got accepted at City or just anywhere? I was accepted by QMU if that's any use to you? I'd be happy to show you my personal statement if you like x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by juliamcgowan26
Hey I'm really sorry for everyone who didn't get the place they were hoping for. Fingers crossed for those of you who haven't heard yet.

Are you only looking for this from people who got accepted at City or just anywhere? I was accepted by QMU if that's any use to you? I'd be happy to show you my personal statement if you like x

This would be extremely useful Julia! :smile: Congrats on your place if I haven't said it before! x
you did but thank you again!! Fingers crossed you get some good news soon!

I will PM you my personal statement x
Reply 396
Original post by amasluqi
Yes Kath_H, I am going to be there! How are you feeling about it. Did I read you were an undergrad there too?

Aww great, I'll see you there! PM me your name if you like and ill look out for you, would be nice to have a friendly face there when we're both nervous! Im feeling nervous but really really excited at the same time, just a bit worried about the presentation!

Yep I went to Newcastle for my undergrad so I love it up here - currently working and living here too. How about you? Did you go to Newcastle?

See you tomorrow! xx
Original post by lux*
You could apply to essex. worth a shot maybe?

Got the rejection email too, boo. UCL interview was quite hard, not sure if I made a good impression :s-smilie:

I found UCL interview quite tough going- everyone else seems to have found it alright which has been worrying me a lot!! I'm not hopeful but trying to be positive
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
I got a rejection email from City this morning :frown:
So I am now totally out of the equation, because Reading rejected me too and I didn't apply
anywhere else.

Its fair to say that I am absolutely GUTTED :frown: I just want to get on with my career now but this
has set me back at least another year.....if not more.

But I sincerely hope that the rest of you guys have more luck than me and get onto a place somewhere.
You all deserve to do well and get onto a course, so GOOD LUCK :smile: XXX

Have u thought about Greenwich?? They have a January start so you'll have time to submit an application! Just an idea, I know it's gutting to not have ur preferred choices xxx
Reply 399
Original post by Natty22
Have you tried phoning them? x

Not yet, I finally got a reply though!! Although it was just an email saying that the woman was going to forward my enquiry directly to the admissions person.. not heard anything since then! If I know nothing still by tomorrow afternoon I might well call them.

On a brighter note, my job interview is next Wednesday (Clinical Support Worker in a Hospital) - apparently they have vacancies in several departments including SLT :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest