The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Hey guys,

To everyone who applied to Sheffield and is waiting to hear back... I got a rejection letter from them on Saturday (gutted!), so if you haven't had a rejection letter yet then I would definitely be hopeful if I was you! They must have sent out their first lot of rejection letters (or all of them!), so fingers crossed you'll all get an interview! :smile: good luck! xxxx
Reply 581
Original post by rora_01
Heard the good news? What are you going to do now?

I know!!! So happy that nightmare is sorted....hello 6 grand!! Think I'm definitely going to UCL. I work with some SLTs, one of which went to City for postgrad (got in straight after her undergrad) and she said that there is not much difference between the courses. UCL is a world class university and you'll get a masters after 2 years. She couldn't be bothered to do the MSc conversion and I think if I went to city I wouldn't be bothered either. She did say that she heard of some people who had a nervous breakdown from the course but if I think about my undergrad. I can only work when there's pressure anyway, so maybe it'll be a good thing?

So yes, definitely going to UCL. I think I would regret it immensely if I turned the offer down. So will you be joining me in August then?
Reply 582
Original post by lollypop1389
Yeah that did cross my mind also, like it shows how dedicated people are I guess. It's just a bit frustrating at times. Yeah, getting in on my undergrad was super stressful, especially as my friend went to Sheffield hallam and she'd heard like first thing in the morning!! It wasn't looking good!! lol. So have you applied for MSc?? xxx

Yes I applied to Reading (rejected), UCL (rejected), Newcastle (interviewed, waiting to hear), QMU offer. I would be so happy to get into Newcastle. Reading would have been nearer home for me, but that was really my only reason for picking it - ok that and its reputation!

I really liked Newcastle when I went there for interview - the location of the department in the medical district, the way the clinic is integrated in the uni building, the way you always get feedback every week on how you're doing, the opportunity to get involved in research. I have no problem with the distance and would be extremely happy to relocate there. I didn't really put a lot of effort in to my UCL form as I wasn't convinced I'd want to live in/nr London.

Hope you hear something soon!
Original post by rora_01
Heard the good news? What are you going to do now?

Original post by claudzz
I know!!! So happy that nightmare is sorted....hello 6 grand!! Think I'm definitely going to UCL. I work with some SLTs, one of which went to City for postgrad (got in straight after her undergrad) and she said that there is not much difference between the courses. UCL is a world class university and you'll get a masters after 2 years. She couldn't be bothered to do the MSc conversion and I think if I went to city I wouldn't be bothered either. She did say that she heard of some people who had a nervous breakdown from the course but if I think about my undergrad. I can only work when there's pressure anyway, so maybe it'll be a good thing?

So yes, definitely going to UCL. I think I would regret it immensely if I turned the offer down. So will you be joining me in August then?

Was so happy when I saw the email yesterday! Means everyone can base their decision on what course they think they are best suited to rather than money worries. Am definitely going for UCL too. See you guys there!
Reply 584
Original post by lauren_holly
Was so happy when I saw the email yesterday! Means everyone can base their decision on what course they think they are best suited to rather than money worries. Am definitely going for UCL too. See you guys there!

Have you seen this? http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx

It says "Application forms will only be valid if they are received by NHS Student Bursaries within 6 months of the 1st day of the academic year"

Does that mean we have to get our student bursary applications in by the end of Feb??? :eek:
Reply 585
Original post by claudzz
Have you seen this? http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx

It says "Application forms will only be valid if they are received by NHS Student Bursaries within 6 months of the 1st day of the academic year"

Does that mean we have to get our student bursary applications in by the end of Feb??? :eek:

Yep ... but next feb! :wink:
Reply 586
Original post by .sarah.
Yep ... but next feb! :wink:

Whoops! Bit of a ditsy moment :colondollar: That makes so much more sense!
hey guys i just have a few questions about essex & was wondering if anyone could help?

1. ive heard that it might be a group interview? if so, is there any opportunity to speak to course tutors one on one throughout the day about certain aspects of the course etc?

2. ive seen that some people are being interviewed in early march, some in april & some in may - so i was wondering whether they wait until all interviews are complete before responding with their decision?

sorry for all the questions!

xx
Original post by sineadp
I had problems with the online form to but called them and they were pretty good. Going to try and get my application in next week, just waiting on one reference. Basically they seem to like you to upload everything and I asked about the space for personal statement- you can attach another document outlining more!

I think I will ring them tomorrow as it's my day off. I want to get my application in for next week too. Just asked my manager to be my referee - she was a bit dumbfounded that there's a possibility I am leaving in December if I get on. However, I did say it's reaaalllly competitive and will be applying this September too! I just bought some books that are relative to SLT - exciting!
Original post by claudzz
Whoops! Bit of a ditsy moment :colondollar: That makes so much more sense!

Am I right in thinking we need to wait for the bursary people to contact us before we can put our application in?
Reply 590
Original post by claudzz

Original post by claudzz

" I can only work when there's pressure anyway, so maybe it'll be a good thing?"
That was my reasoning exactly.
Good for you and congratulations and everything else. See you there!
Reply 591

Enjoy these last few months of freedom! See you there!
Reply 592
Am I right in thinking we need to wait for the bursary people to contact us before we can put our application in?

The College have to forward our details to the NHS, who then send out student reference numbers and a link to the application form which you fill out and return. You can't do anything until you get the student number though.. And I have a feeling that won't happen before the summer :s-smilie:

"To apply for an NHS bursary, including any additional allowances, you must be offered either a conditional or unconditional place on an NHS funded course at a University or Higher Education Institution in England.
Shortly afterwards, your university will pass your personal details to NHS Student Bursaries and we will send you a letter which will notify you of your unique student reference number. Once you have your unique reference number, follow the instruction on the letter which informs you how to obtain the relevant application form from this website"

Also here's a link to last years app form just in case anyone wants to see whats involved in applying : http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students/PSM1_%28New_Deg%29_Inc_Ass_award_app_v3.2.pdf

:smile:xxx
Reply 593

Yup. The application form for Sept 2012/13 isn't even available yet - Currently, NHS are dealing with applications for courses that start between Jan 12 - April 12. The NHS bursary has a facebook page with a lot of useful info and it seems as if they won't be dealing with us until the summer. Judging from the wall posts, they seem kind of disorganised.
Reply 594
Original post by .sarah.
The College have to forward our details to the NHS, who then send out student reference numbers and a link to the application form which you fill out and return. You can't do anything until you get the student number though.. And I have a feeling that won't happen before the summer :s-smilie:

"To apply for an NHS bursary, including any additional allowances, you must be offered either a conditional or unconditional place on an NHS funded course at a University or Higher Education Institution in England.
Shortly afterwards, your university will pass your personal details to NHS Student Bursaries and we will send you a letter which will notify you of your unique student reference number. Once you have your unique reference number, follow the instruction on the letter which informs you how to obtain the relevant application form from this website"

Also here's a link to last years app form just in case anyone wants to see whats involved in applying : http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students/PSM1_%28New_Deg%29_Inc_Ass_award_app_v3.2.pdf

:smile:xxx

Just to add to what .sarah. said, I stumbled across a few Facebook groups from Language pathologists at Newcastle around 2009/2010 when I was applying (although I couldn't find the msg I was looking for just now to quote, so think it may have since been archived :frown: ) and the messages they were exchanging pointed to them getting the NHS bursary form the end of May and it being due back by the 30th June - judging by the dates of the posts about them. So it may not be til then...maybe...
Reply 595
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this but have been following posts for a while... Has anyone else heard from Newcaslte yet?

Hope everyone is getting on where they want to go! I'm still waiting for word from Sheffield but the waiting is doing my head in!

Thanks!
Reply 596
I have an offer from QMU too...now have to decide whether I should accept the MSc SLT offer or MSc Audiology offer. I also applied to Reading as well but there has been no news so far. Has anyone heard from Reading?
Reply 597
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Hi Jennifex!
I was just wondering how many people are on your course at Essex?? x

Hi! Sorry for taking ages to reply to this (the course is very busy!) There are 30 people in my year group and I assume it will be the same for next year but I haven't heard.
Reply 598
Original post by rosie*1
Hi Jennifex, I was just wondering what first degrees you/your fellow course mates have- is it the case that everyone has a Psychology/Linguistics background or is there some variation? Do you think different universities place different weight on the relevance of the first degree? I did notice that Newcastle specifically said applicants without a first degree in Psychology/Linguistics/Biomedical Sciences (or poss. Biology, sorry can't remember exactly) would only be considered in exceptional circumstances, but I wonder if this is the same for other places? Obviously the work experience element of the application also seems to be very important but I'm just curious as to how wide a variation in first degree subjects there is at Essex (and other unis, if anyone knows?) Thanks!

Hi Rosie, sorry for taking so long to reply, have been very busy recently. There is a mix, but the majority do have a linguistics or psychology background (probably about 20-25 out of the 30 of us).

I really don't know the process they go through when choosing who to accept but I know of people who have done Geography, Dance, English Literature, History, Open University courses getting accepted (not all in my year), so it is possible, however these are usually people who did their first degree a while ago and have built up some relevant experience and knowledge in the meantime.

I would say a relevant first degree will count in your favour but if your degree isn't relevant and you have some good experience, I think you still have a chance :smile:

Hope that answered your question? Good luck!
Reply 599
Hurry up Sheffield :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest