The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rach_L
Hey, Nope I haven't heard anything. I'm the same though, would love to get some info through about anything really! I just want to get started! I keep checking on facebook to see if someone has set up a group yet so we can see who else will be going - I would do it but I'm hopeless at these things! Do you live in London already or will you be moving/commuting?

Hi Rach_L, I'm living just on the outskirts of London at the moment but am hoping to move in somewhere with my boyfriend a bit more central before August. We are looking around Clapham at the moment. A friend of mine who is in her final year of the course now said that Anna Casey set up a facebook group for them when she started. I guess that makes a bit more sense since she has everyone's names! She always seems so busy though so I'll don't think I'll be emailing her to egg her on!!

Original post by Norasaurus
Hey guys!

I'm starting in UCL also, I'm coming over from Dublin and don't have a clue how I should go about organising accommodation or when I'd need to start looking. Any one any advice on where would be a good place to start or what areas might be alright to live in? Are you all reading all the books on the recommended reading list? Can't say I've started yet..I feel like I'm on a bit of a holiday since I got accepted! Got to start getting my act together! How old are any of guys? I'll be just 26 by the time we start!

Hi Norasaurus, I can imagine that must be really hard to sort out moving from all the way over in Ireland. I did my undergrad at UCL and in my day the most student friendly areas were Camden, Kentish Town way. The prices have gone up though even since then so I think even a little bit further out- maybe more islington, caledonian rd way are good areas for easy links in to UCL. I'm living on the outskirts of London at the mo but am looking with my boyfriend around Clapham for a place at the mo. That's partly because of where he works and partly because you do get a lot more for your money south of the river and Clapham is, in my humble opinion, the nicest bit of South London.

I read a few of the recommended reading texts before my interview but these were mainly anecdotal texts. I read the Shula Chiat book they listed though and found that really practical and accessible so would recommend that. A friend who is on the City Postgrad course said that has been her bible! I feel like I need to get a headstart with some phonetics and linguistics stuff though.

Am glad to see there are some other 'mid-twenties' on the course too. I'll have just turned 25 when we start.
Has anybody heard from Sheffield following an interview yet? I'm starting to get impatient now! I don't have offers anywhere else so it's all resting on that one for me :eek:
Reply 782
Original post by Nataliex22
:biggrin:. Have you had any other interviews anywhere else? I've only applied for Essex as its the only place that would accept me straight after my degree!

Anyone have any idea about funding? From what I know we get our tution fees paid, bursary and you can also apply for a loan?

You're right, tuition fees are paid by the NHS in England, and you can apply for a bursary but it is means tested. If you get the bursary it will also cover some of your placement travel expenses.

You can apply for a career development loan as well (from Barclays or the Co-op) but they are not as good value as student loans (which you can't get for postgrad).
Reply 783
Original post by paperlily3
Has anybody heard from Sheffield following an interview yet? I'm starting to get impatient now! I don't have offers anywhere else so it's all resting on that one for me :eek:

Nope, still haven't heard from Sheffield! And they said end of February :s-smilie: I hope we hear soon!
Reply 784
Original post by jennifex
You're right, tuition fees are paid by the NHS in England, and you can apply for a bursary but it is means tested. If you get the bursary it will also cover some of your placement travel expenses.

You can apply for a career development loan as well (from Barclays or the Co-op) but they are not as good value as student loans (which you can't get for postgrad).

Just to add to this, the bursary is means tested from your parents or with your spouse's income if you are married unless you are classed as 'independent' which means you have supported yourself for 36 months. This doesn't include any time you have received a student loan but doesn't need to be consecutive, so you can include gap years etc.
Original post by Anickauk
Nope, still haven't heard from Sheffield! And they said end of February :s-smilie: I hope we hear soon!

Me too.. I wish it didn't take them so long!
hey guys...i just have some info for anyone who is on the UCL waiting list! i could no longer wait hearing nothing & i wasnt too impressed that emails weren't being responded too so I finally found a telephone number and gave them a call...unfortunately though I was told that there has been absolutely no movement with the waiting list & everyone who has been offered a place has so far accepted....at this point (obviously keep the fingers crossed)

its not great news I know but I felt I should let u all know in case any decisions about other unis etc were being influenced by UCL waiting list!

xx
Hello,

I've been following this thread for a while but haven't had anything really to add until now. For those who interviewed at Sheffield, I received an offer both by post and email at the end of last week. You might want to email to check but unfortunately it sounds like you guys didn't get a place.

On the plus side I'm probably going to City so there will be one extra place going. Good luck!

For people planning to study at City, did anyone go to the open day and did they tell you anything important? I've been invited to one at the end of this month but I can't really afford more time off work after all the various interviews.

Also is anyone who needs to find a flat in London interested in flatsharing? I will need to move in to the city and am probably looking at the Clapham area. PM me if you are. I think it would be great to have flatmates studying the same course so we could cram together!
Original post by Spice87
Hi there yes I have an interview then, heard today! Looking forward to it :smile:

Eeeek me too :smile: See you then! All the best xx
Hi everyone!

To those of you who have already had an interview at Essex University would you mind answering a little query for me? Is there a group interview and an individual interview or just a group interview? Its just that it doesn't really specify much information on the email I recieved, except that there will be a maths (eeeek) and english test. Also is it true that they are interviewing approximately 200 applicants for only 30 places? :confused:
Thanks. xx
I got my rejection from Sheffield today. Just so others know, if they are still waiting, they should have got back to you by now.
Reply 791
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Hi everyone!

To those of you who have already had an interview at Essex University would you mind answering a little query for me? Is there a group interview and an individual interview or just a group interview? Its just that it doesn't really specify much information on the email I recieved, except that there will be a maths (eeeek) and english test. Also is it true that they are interviewing approximately 200 applicants for only 30 places? :confused:
Thanks. xx

Hi, I'm a current student at Essex. Yes, there is a group interview and an individual one also. Don't worry about the maths and english test, they are really basic, it's just a requirement that you can demonstrate those skills. I can't remember if 200 is the cut-off point for applications or if they interview 200. They do interview quite a lot, but don't worry, it's a pretty relaxed interview (they don't try to "catch you out") and a friendly department :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions about Essex (obviously not specifics about the interview but anything else). Good luck :smile:
Hi, I'm a current student at Essex. Yes, there is a group interview and an individual one also. Don't worry about the maths and english test, they are really basic, it's just a requirement that you can demonstrate those skills. I can't remember if 200 is the cut-off point for applications or if they interview 200. They do interview quite a lot, but don't worry, it's a pretty relaxed interview (they don't try to "catch you out") and a friendly department :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions about Essex (obviously not specifics about the interview but anything else). Good luck :smile:

Hi Jennifex,

I wondered if you could answer a couple of my questions about the course at Essex? I can't find any info online about an average timetable, if you could tell me anything about how many hours a week you're in, and how many weeks per year you're on campus/on placement/on holiday I would be really grateful!

I'm trying to compare Essex and City but don't know much about Essex, all opinions welcome.

Thankyou :smile:

Aww thanks Jennifex! It's very reassuring to know that the Maths test isn't too taxing.....Maths was definitely my weakness at school.

Just one quick question, when did the department let you know that you had been successful in gaining a place at the University? I know my interview isn't until May, but it would be good to know approximately when I would get an answer (whether it be a yes or a no).....eeeek scary times.

Rachel xx
Reply 794
Original post by QueenOfTheAmazons
Hi Jennifex,

I wondered if you could answer a couple of my questions about the course at Essex? I can't find any info online about an average timetable, if you could tell me anything about how many hours a week you're in, and how many weeks per year you're on campus/on placement/on holiday I would be really grateful!

I'm trying to compare Essex and City but don't know much about Essex, all opinions welcome.

I am also a current City student if you have any City based questions :smile:
Reply 795
Original post by Flicker

Hey I have a place at City to start in September, I was just wondering if you could tell me a bit more about the timetable and terms etc. So how many hours you are at uni each week, how often placements are, that kind of thing? Are you enjoying the course? I'm excited to start :smile: x
Original post by Flicker

Thanks :smile: I went to City's open day so got lots of practical questions answered there, but a current students perspective would be great - have you enjoyed the course? Any best bits/downsides?
Original post by lauren_holly
Hi Rach_L, I'm living just on the outskirts of London at the moment but am hoping to move in somewhere with my boyfriend a bit more central before August. We are looking around Clapham at the moment. A friend of mine who is in her final year of the course now said that Anna Casey set up a facebook group for them when she started. I guess that makes a bit more sense since she has everyone's names! She always seems so busy though so I'll don't think I'll be emailing her to egg her on!!

Hi Norasaurus, I can imagine that must be really hard to sort out moving from all the way over in Ireland. I did my undergrad at UCL and in my day the most student friendly areas were Camden, Kentish Town way. The prices have gone up though even since then so I think even a little bit further out- maybe more islington, caledonian rd way are good areas for easy links in to UCL. I'm living on the outskirts of London at the mo but am looking with my boyfriend around Clapham for a place at the mo. That's partly because of where he works and partly because you do get a lot more for your money south of the river and Clapham is, in my humble opinion, the nicest bit of South London.

I read a few of the recommended reading texts before my interview but these were mainly anecdotal texts. I read the Shula Chiat book they listed though and found that really practical and accessible so would recommend that. A friend who is on the City Postgrad course said that has been her bible! I feel like I need to get a headstart with some phonetics and linguistics stuff though.

Am glad to see there are some other 'mid-twenties' on the course too. I'll have just turned 25 when we start.

Thanks for all the advice Lauren!! I would love to live in the Islington/Angel area but think it would be super expensive...not gona worry about it for a couple more months though! I've a few friends in Clapham and it seems like an awesome place to live, I'd just love to live where I can avoid the subway and walk/cycle in! Great that we now have the facebook page so can know everything about each other before we've even met! :smile: Still haven't started on that list, but will note to read the "bible" first!x
Reply 798
Original post by Natty22
Hey I have a place at City to start in September, I was just wondering if you could tell me a bit more about the timetable and terms etc. So how many hours you are at uni each week, how often placements are, that kind of thing? Are you enjoying the course? I'm excited to start :smile: x

We have 3 full days of teaching a week - 9-5/11-6ish, then one study day and one day on placement this term. Last term was the same although we only had short placements we had organised ourselves in nursery and with older people so basically two days off a week and this term is the first proper placement.

In the summer term we have a placement that is a block so 3/4 days a week for a month. Then in the 2nd year you have one day a week on placement for Autumn and Spring and then another block in the Summer.

I am really enjoying the course! It's really interesting and it is challenging but I think it's great. Pretty much all the lecturers are really fab as well- engaging and passionate and so helpful. You will enjoy :smile:
Reply 799
Original post by QueenOfTheAmazons
Thanks :smile: I went to City's open day so got lots of practical questions answered there, but a current students perspective would be great - have you enjoyed the course? Any best bits/downsides?

I love the course, I think everything is so interesting and I love my placement... it's hard to say downsides! I think the lecturers are great - really knowledgeable and a lot more involved in everything than in my undergrad. There has been some kerfuffle of placements as there is a contracted company organising them for the first time so there's been confusion but it's been taken into account so hoping next year it will be sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest