The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SabrinaAnn
Hey Everyone :smile: Just wanted some advice on applying to the Speech and Language Therapy course for next year.
I am looking to apply to UCL, City University London, reading and Newcastle. I have decided against applying to Essex as my sister is an undergrad there (and I don't want to cramp her style ha ha).
I am not sure about Sheffield as the course sounds so different to the rest. Does anyone know more information about this?

I am worried I do not have enough experience. So I will write here what I have done so far and see what you think?!

I have 8 months of experience one day a week at a Stroke Club. I also went on holiday with them for a week and provided care. I helped people with eating and drinking, toileting help as well as keeping people company!

I did a dissertation on speech difficulties (8500 words) and interviewed adults who had suffered strokes and people with MS who had various speech problems.

I volunteered at a hospital 2 days a week for 5/6 months in the waiting rooms of the intensive care units.

I observed a speech therapist for 2 days and saw a range of child patients.

I am currently working as a support worker for a young adult with downs syndrome and autism. we help him with all daily activities and try to understand his non-verbal communication. we are working with a speech therapist too which will be useful :smile:

I am also setting up volunteer work in a nursery (waiting for CRB) to get some much needed experience with children.

I am planning to do a sign language course too :biggrin:

I have a degree in sociology (and got a first so am hoping this will help) but am wondering if this will be a disadvantage?

Actually that sounds quite a lot when you write it down.
Any advice would be appreciated! I have just done my second draft of my personal statement so any advice in this area would be fantastic :smile:

Thank yooou! :smile:

Hey. There's a thread for people applying to the postgrad SLT courses this year for 2013 and you can find it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2040946&page=11
Reply 1101
Hi guys, I really need some help!
I'd like to attend the 2 day training course at Northwick Park Hospital for an intro to slt... but I can't find the webpage with the details for the course or info on how to book a place. If anyone knows of the hyperlink please could you post it? Thank you ever so much! :smile:

ps. just realised I've posted this in an old thread, apologies
(edited 11 years ago)
Having a panic and wondering if anyone that applied to UCL can help.
The deadline is tomorrow (9th) and I am submitting my application tonight. However i know the app gets postponed until both referees have uploaded the form for UCL.
SO do the referees have to upload the form by the deadline on the 9th. or do you have to submit the app by the 9th and then it doesnt matter if the referee form is uploaded later?
A lot of people on the 2013 forum are panicking about it- so many worrying there references wont be complete on time.

If anyone has any clue how this works for UCL or for other unis for future applications that would be greatly appreciated :smile: many thanks
Sabrina
Reply 1103
Original post by SabrinaAnn
Having a panic and wondering if anyone that applied to UCL can help.
The deadline is tomorrow (9th) and I am submitting my application tonight. However i know the app gets postponed until both referees have uploaded the form for UCL.
SO do the referees have to upload the form by the deadline on the 9th. or do you have to submit the app by the 9th and then it doesnt matter if the referee form is uploaded later?
A lot of people on the 2013 forum are panicking about it- so many worrying there references wont be complete on time.

If anyone has any clue how this works for UCL or for other unis for future applications that would be greatly appreciated :smile: many thanks
Sabrina

Someone just posted in the other thread that the deadline for both references to be back is a week after the 9th :smile:
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice..I've applied to do postgraduate speech and language therapy at Essex, City and Greenwich. I've heard back from Essex and Greenwich and have been offered interviews and still waiting to hear back from City. My first interview is at Essex 14th Feb and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips? It's from 9-5pm so I'm wondering what will be expected of me. I'm really nervous at the moment as I only got a 2:2 in my first degree (Linguistics and French) but I have lots of experience with Adult Speech and Language Therapy and have also spent time shadowing Paediatric and Learning Dis Speech Therapists.

I would really appreciate any advice you may have xx
Hi everyone! I'm a Canadian student interested in applying to Pg Dipolma at Speech Therapy at City University London next year! I was wondering if there were any other international students on this forum who've applied and wouldnt mind sharing their stats (volunteer exp, gpa)?
Thanks!
Hi julia,
Sorry bringing up an old post here. Did you go ahead with the course in qmu? I have got an offer for septemper 2015 and just starting to worry about the fees. When I applied I had the impression that there were free fees in Scotland but now I can see that the SLT masters isn't covered! Also from ireland and the agency that covered my undergrad fees don't seem to cover postgrad fees in another country! Just wondering what did you do in regards to fees? Also any info on the course would be appreciated so eexited to start :smile:
Hi julia,
Sorry bringing up an old post here. Did you go ahead with the course in qmu? I have got an offer for septemper 2015 and just starting to worry about the fees. When I applied I had the impression that there were free fees in Scotland but now I can see that the SLT masters isn't covered! Also from ireland and the agency that covered my undergrad fees don't seem to cover postgrad fees in another country! Just wondering what did you do in regards to fees? Also any info on the course would be appreciated so eexited to start :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest