The Student Room Group

Why English players are overrated

This poll is closed

Are English players overrated?

No. 15%
Yes.85%
Total votes: 91
I think English players are the most overrated players in the world. Why? Firstly, prices.

Andy Carroll (who always been useless, but credit Newcastle, they somehow got £35M)or Sergio Aguero (£39M), Villa (£35ish). Who would you rather have in your team?

Lescott (£23M) or Vermaelen (£10M) and Mertesaker (£8-10M)? How is Gary Cahill worth £17M with one year left on contract?? How is Gareth Barry playing for England, and how is Downing worth £20M when he's done sweet FA during his career? Milner (27M) or Van der Vaart (8M)? Even David Bentley (credit to spurs, they do piss away money sometimes) at £20M.

Also, a lack of world class players. People say Rooney is, please, DPMO. What has Rooney actually done when compared to a Messi, or a Ronaldo? During the Champions League Final buildup last year, the papers were rating Messi as 10, while Rooney (who hadn't scored for about a year or summat) was a 9. As good as Xavi. Are you high? At the moment, there are NO world class English players. None. Messi and Ronaldo, Xavi and Iniesta change games consistently. Does Rooney? Fair enough, he's good. But definitely not world class. Not even the best English player atm (that's Parker).

Then we come onto the England team. The most overrated national side in the world. What other "big nation" would play Barry? Downing? Milner? Walcott? Lennon? Average players. No other forwards to support Rooney, (Zamora? Is stuff that bad?) But we were begging Manuel Almunia to play in goal?? Greece have won more trophies than England in the last 40 years. And in major competitons, massive hype, like at the World Cup,how Capello's the best England manager ever, then they go out, and he's suddenly useless. Now, somehow pundits are saying that foreign players are ruining the game, but why waste 50M on 2 average English players when you could rebuild a team with that? When you're seeing players like Hernandez and Andre Santos, the West Brom Nigerian guy, internationals, coming in for less than 10M, how much would they be worth if they were English? Just think. Who was the last England international who moved to any club for less than 10M? Who was the last big English player to move abroad? Beckham and Owen. European clubs now know that English players are overpaid, overpriced and overrated.

So that's my rant. Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here we go. Add another to the 'I'm English but for some reason HATE English players, the league, national team'.

For a start, Messi and Rooney are the same when it comes to national teams. Neither has done **** all in big tournaments/matches! FACT.

What you're using there is what the current manager picks. Would you have classed Owen of 6, 7 years ago as world class? Probably not. Would you have classed ANY past English players as class? And I don't understand this 'Overrated' thing anyway, of course they're going to be bigged up but it's always in crap such as the Sun anyway, so why take it as fact that everybody believes we have the best players in the world?

English players don't move abroad because there are hardly any English players. People like you who are obsessed with foreign players as they're 'new' and 'exciting'. Therefore there's none of our's good enough to move abroad.

Yeah neg it, you're all tapped, don't like it, move to Spain and support them. Gloryhunters. Same thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by elijahbrooke
I think English players are the most overrated players in the world. Why? Firstly, prices.

Andy Carroll (who always been useless, but credit Newcastle, they somehow got £35M)or Sergio Aguero (£39M), Villa (£35ish). Who would you rather have in your team?

Lescott (£23M) or Vermaelen (£10M) and Mertesaker (£8-10M)? How is Gary Cahill worth £17M with one year left on contract?? How is Gareth Barry playing for England, and how is Downing worth £20M when he's done sweet FA during his career? Milner (27M) or Van der Vaart (8M)? Even David Bentley (credit to spurs, they do piss away money sometimes) at £20M.

Also, a lack of world class players. People say Rooney is, please, DPMO. What has Rooney actually done when compared to a Messi, or a Ronaldo? During the Champions League Final buildup last year, the papers were rating Messi as 10, while Rooney (who hadn't scored for about a year or summat) was a 9. As good as Xavi. Are you high? At the moment, there are NO world class English players. None. Messi and Ronaldo, Xavi and Iniesta change games consistently. Does Rooney? Fair enough, he's good. But definitely not world class. Not even the best English player atm (that's Parker).

Then we come onto the England team. The most overrated national side in the world. What other "big nation" would play Barry? Downing? Milner? Walcott? Lennon? Average players. No other forwards to support Rooney, (Zamora? Is stuff that bad?) But we were begging Manuel Almunia to play in goal?? Greece have won more trophies than England in the last 40 years. And in major competitons, massive hype, like at the World Cup,how Capello's the best England manager ever, then they go out, and he's suddenly useless. Now, somehow pundits are saying that foreign players are ruining the game, but why waste 50M on 2 average English players when you could rebuild a team with that? When you're seeing players like Hernandez and Andre Santos, the West Brom Nigerian guy, internationals, coming in for less than 10M, how much would they be worth if they were English? Just think. Who was the last England international who moved to any club for less than 10M? Who was the last big English player to move abroad? Beckham and Owen. European clubs now know that English players are overpaid, overpriced and overrated.

Scott Parker (£6m) or Juan Sebastian Veron (£28m)?

Frank Lampard (£11m) or Steve Marlet (£11.5m)?

Andy Carroll was a panic buy. Last minute desperate attempt by Liverpool to keep the fans happy.

Rooney is world class. I know he has an awful temperament and is annoying but you have to look at what he has done. For example, the overhead kick V Man City, the volley V Newcastle etc....

The fact that English teams are consistently competing for the Champions League trophy; the fact that English teams can attract some of the best European talent and the fact that the English league is one of the best in the world lead to a sense of delusion about the England national team.
I think WAGs are overrated just for being WAGS
Original post by Pixiefairy
I think WAGs are overrated just for being WAGS

You're the first girl I have seen post in the Football section in ages lol.

PS- Love you sig, cakes are lush:coma:
Original post by pinda.college
You're the first girl I have seen post in the Football section in ages lol.

PS- Love you sig, cakes are lush:coma:

lol it's because i saw overrated and footballers together in a sentence :ahee:

ugh i know right :coma: :teehee:
Original post by Pixiefairy
lol it's because i saw overrated and footballers together in a sentence :ahee:

ugh i know right :coma: :teehee:

You've got me craving some chocolate now lol, cannot have any though.

On a strict protein diet for muscle mass:colonhash:

Lol, I'm off to bed anyways.

Night.
Reply 7
I think I agree with (almost) everything the OP says, and thats a rarity for me! England fans need to wake up and smell the bacon, they are not the best team in the world and it would have to take a miracle for them to win a major competition, (like Greece '04)!

£35m for Andy Carroll has to be the worst signing I have ever witnessed. Panic buy. All of the other examples you gave, I found myself nodding. The only small detail I disagree with is Walcott. He does have the potential to change games. Certainly not on the same scale as Messi, Ronaldo etc. but he's better than people make out I reckon. But up front, yes, Rooney is good - but he just doesn't score goals. And a striker cannot be called world class if he doesn't score goals, that's the end of it.

England, at international level at least, are the most overrated nation in the world.
Reply 8
Original post by MittenRef
I think I agree with (almost) everything the OP says, and thats a rarity for me! England fans need to wake up and smell the bacon, they are not the best team in the world and it would have to take a miracle for them to win a major competition, (like Greece '04)!

£35m for Andy Carroll has to be the worst signing I have ever witnessed. Panic buy. All of the other examples you gave, I found myself nodding. The only small detail I disagree with is Walcott. He does have the potential to change games. Certainly not on the same scale as Messi, Ronaldo etc. but he's better than people make out I reckon. But up front, yes, Rooney is good - but he just doesn't score goals. And a striker cannot be called world class if he doesn't score goals, that's the end of it.

England, at international level at least, are the most overrated nation in the world.

I'd agree with that. Walcott has changed some games (the CL game against Liverpool for example), but personally I dont think consistently enough. Granted, he has improved since 2010.
Reply 9
Original post by MTR_10
Scott Parker (£6m) or Juan Sebastian Veron (£28m)?

Frank Lampard (£11m) or Steve Marlet (£11.5m)?

Both of those examples were ages ago though....
Reply 10
Original post by elijahbrooke

A bit harsh on Rooney tbh. He is a top player, in fact he is world class and England haven't seen a player like him in years. Could easily play abroad.

How often do we get players like Messi and Ronaldo? Although there are not many great english strikers around at the moment Rooney is way beyond anything in England.

Stevie G at his peak inury free, is he not world class? A.Cole?

The England team are rubbish though I can't defend them lol
English talent is highly sought after in England, so when a team from outside the "big 4" (or "big" 7 now) has a player who gets in the England side it bumps their projected value up.

If your team had a brilliant English player, you wouldn't want to sell them, so your club is in control to an extent. Therefore, the big clubs have to offer an amount that they can't say no to to get their man.
Reply 12
Original post by The Real Quaid
English talent is highly sought after in England, so when a team from outside the "big 4" (or "big" 7 now) has a player who gets in the England side it bumps their projected value up.

If your team had a brilliant English player, you wouldn't want to sell them, so your club is in control to an extent. Therefore, the big clubs have to offer an amount that they can't say no to to get their man.

Thats exactly right!

What your theory on the crappy national team and not enough quality english players?

I think its a footballing culture issue from grass roots upwards as well as quality of coaching.
What England needs is a manager who will not do what the press say. Maclaren did this and look where that got him. Cappello doesnt and has been far more sucessful. If Redknap gets the job then he will listen to the papers, have gerrard and lampard in the team and it will end up in disaster. I would like to see players like Baines get in to first team. As good as ashley cole is, I would perfer to see the younger baines at left back. In my opinion maybe O'Neil or Moyes should get the Engalnd job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dutchman81
Thats exactly right!

What your theory on the crappy national team and not enough quality english players?

I think its a footballing culture issue from grass roots upwards as well as quality of coaching.

I'd certainly say it's down to a lack of investment - not simply money, but time and effort as well.

And certainly the scrapping of the tribunal system will not help this at all.

A League 1 club are not going to invest a great deal of money or time in developing young players as Premier League clubs can pick them up for a tiny sum - all so that the top clubs can compete in the Champions League
Reply 15
Original post by Dutchman81
Stevie G at his peak inury free, is he not world class? A.Cole?

I never said England have never had a world class player, I'm saying atm, and they're not world class now though...
Enough of this Rooney isn't world class BS. When he's in form and scorning for fun..no one could doubt he's one of the best in the business. And the city overhead kick proves he does score hugely vital goals. Having said that, I will be the first to admit his is random dips in form are so frustrating and he's as useful as Anne Frank's drumkit when his form dips like this. Its due to these periods of crap form that people start coming out with rubbish like what a **** player he is, worst in the league etc etc. And they forget how good he is when he's playing well.
Original post by hayles101
Enough of this Rooney isn't world class BS. When he's in form and scorning for fun..no one could doubt he's one of the best in the business. And the city overhead kick proves he does score hugely vital goals. Having said that, I will be the first to admit his is random dips in form are so frustrating and he's as useful as Anne Frank's drumkit when his form dips like this. Its due to these periods of crap form that people start coming out with rubbish like what a **** player he is, worst in the league etc etc. And they forget how good he is when he's playing well.

I don't think anyone actually means it when they say he's the worst in the league - it's just an easy way to slag off a team most people hate
Reply 18
I'm sure Wenger said that Rooney was the best young talent he had seen in all the years he has been in England.
Original post by The Real Quaid
I don't think anyone actually means it when they say he's the worst in the league - it's just an easy way to slag off a team most people hate

True, it's still annoying though, it get's so old :spank:

Quick Reply

Latest