The Student Room Group

The University of Birmingham - Good For Computer Science?

Poll

Birmingham Uni Good For Comp Sci?

Is it? I live in Birmingham. Is anybody in this forum doing Computer Science at Birmingham Uni? If not, do you know anybody doing Comp Sci at this uni? What are their impressions? I don't really want to travel far to go to University so is Birmingham University the best University for Comp Sci in and around Birmingham?
Reply 1
People have told you before that it is well viewed

I believe that I mentioned in a previous thread that you should look at Warwick
Reply 2
Bump.
Reply 3
What I do not get is this

You are very keen to stay near home
Birmingham is a well respected University
They have a CS course that is certainly in the "top" lists that one can find through searches

What more do you need

I only ask because when people have previously said that other places may be better you have been adamant that you want to stay at home

If Birmingham were rubbish I could understand the worry but it isn't
On a personal level, id suggest getting out of Birmingham; I did and have never looked back.

In terms of the university yeah its decent and probably the best in the West Midlands behind Warwick so look there too. Its certainly better than Aston, BCU, Coventry, Worcester, etc. though so you dont need to worry about that.
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
What I do not get is this

You are very keen to stay near home
Birmingham is a well respected University
They have a CS course that is certainly in the "top" lists that one can find through searches

What more do you need

I only ask because when people have previously said that other places may be better you have been adamant that you want to stay at home

If Birmingham were rubbish I could understand the worry but it isn't

Which CS course is in the "top" lists?
Reply 6
Original post by Ferrari_1996
Which CS course is in the "top" lists?

The Birmingham one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-computer-sciences-it
Reply 7

I was asking which course because The University of Birmingham has lots of Computer Science courses and I don't know which one I should choose.
Reply 8
I was asking which course because The University of Birmingham has lots of Computer Science courses and I don't know which one I should choose.

I have no idea ... the university CS dept is 5th on that list so surely that bodes well
Reply 9

All the CS courses have a lot of the same base modules, in third and a bit in 2nd year then certain modules are compulsory rather than optional if you're doing CS & AI or CS & software engineering, if you do CS & business then you do some business modules and if do CS & maths then you do half maths modules.

Also the department is very good, very organised and the work is interesting, of course there are annoying things but thats true of every university. Plus we have an awesome society, do loads of awesome events.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Charlieee_
All the CS courses have a lot of the same base modules, in third and a bit in 2nd year then certain modules are compulsory rather than optional if you're doing CS & AI or CS & software engineering, if you do CS & business then you do some business modules and if do CS & maths then you do half maths modules.

Also the department is very good, very organised and the work is interesting, of course there are annoying things but thats true of every university. Plus we have an awesome society, do loads of awesome events.

Ok thanks. I think I'll do regular/normal CS. What do you do?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending