The Student Room Group

Am I being selfish?

Will try and keep this short and to the point. So I've been having a lot of stress recently and had a bit of a mental block with my work. I used to suffer from depression and have a tendency to fall into depressive episodes. I have an anxiety disorder as well which is constantly affecting my work. Recently I finished a course of CBT and I might have to go to the doctor again because it's getting worse. In the meantime my university advisor told me I shouldn't be afraid of opening up to my friends about my condition...

The truth is that I really want to but I just can't. I'm afraid of being vulnerable in front of them but I also feel like if I asked them for advice it would be really selfish. I want to be there for everyone and for them to be happy...I'm pretending I have control of this situation but I really don't...Just been crying a lot recently. The way I've been feeling has just been affecting lots of areas of my life and I don't want my friends to see me as a failure so I somehow can't talk to them. It's like I want someone to walk up to me and say "we can talk if you like" or something like that. :redface: Feel even sillier now because I just posted on fb status "life is stressful :'(" - people will think I'm attention-seeking...What do you guys think I should do? Don't know what's going on in my life atm. I feel like a lost soul.
I kinda know how you feel.

Although I'd like everyone to know because I genuinely think it would help me, I'm happy knowing I have one person who I can confide in.

I would approach the most accessible person in your flat or in your life and see if they can be your person to go to. Good friends are always there for each other and will know that they can come to you if ever they need someone.

Good luck
Asking your friends for advice isn't selfish- I'm sure they'd much rather you talk to them about your feelings than keep everything bottled up.
Reply 3
cyber hug
asking your mates for some help or advice or just someone to talk to isnt selfish its what they are their for =]
wouldnt you want your mate to talk to you if they needed to?
what about parents?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending