The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The answer to your question is yes, Staffordshire University is a good University. Some courses will be stronger than others, but you can do your research on the courses through speaking to current or ex students and going to open days, and make a decision on what course will suit you. The facilities are superb, the lecturers/tutors are helpful and the location is fantastic.

I've been a student at Staffordshire University for 2 years, and have lived in the area for my entire life, so I'm in a pretty good place to comment on most comments regarding the area.

What to do in Stoke? I've seen somebody mention that the local cinema is in the middle of nowhere? Its sat on a 'Festival Park'... the same park which sits a pool/snooker hall, TenPin bowling, a McDonalds, Morrisons, and several retail stores including Argos, Outfit, Next and Comet. Oh, and its a mile and a half from the Uni!

In that same post I saw somebody claim that certain areas are no go areas for white people, and certain areas are no go for Asian/Ethnic people? Granted, just down the road from the Uni there is an area where there are a lot of Asian people, but I haven't ever been informed when walking through that it is a "none-white" area.

The nightlife is good. Maybe you can go to the bigger cities and enjoy bigger clubs, but then you pay bigger prices. There are plenty of clubs and bars around and a variety of nights out to enjoy.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 61
Every university is part of a league table for courses. Your course will have a list. If staffs is on it. Gp there. It is an up and coming university and for me, was rated good for my course. I have amazing flexibility and have an amazing support system if I need it. I have even managed to gain work experience before I'm in my second year which in my course is never hardly heard of, thanks to my tutors help.

If I was back doing my ucas form, I wouldn't change a thing. Its an incredibly rewarding university - 100% = £1000, higher a level achievement the same. I couldn't ask for more in any way.
Hello, just thought I would add my opinion in as I am starting Staffs this year, I'm taking Adult Nursing at Stafford Campus.

I honestly think you need to go and visit any university you are thinking about attending before you do anything. I didn't think the choice was too important as for me at the end of uni I'm going to be a Nurse that's it, end of story but I was wrong. I went and visited a few universities including Birmingham City, Coventry and Worcester. I liked some, HATED others but that was my opinion and the vibe that I got when I was there.

One thing I would like to say is that Staffs is a lovely area, it isn't a banging student area with loads of clubs and a cracking night life but it is safer than a lot of places I can say this without a doubt because I researched into this. It is important that I can walk to and from placements without fearing getting knifed or mugged or something. Also the staff and students are VERY welcoming.
Hi,

Okay, so I might be a little delayed on this thread, but I wanna know if there is anyone who has done the VFX & Concept Design course on Stoke Campus?

Also, I am an international applicant. So what's it like for people who are not from around the UK and know nothing about the transport system and/or currency, concerning what's cheap and what's not?

It would be really helpful to get a response :smile:

Thanks.
Original post by Kay_LaDope
Hi,

Okay, so I might be a little delayed on this thread, but I wanna know if there is anyone who has done the VFX & Concept Design course on Stoke Campus?

Also, I am an international applicant. So what's it like for people who are not from around the UK and know nothing about the transport system and/or currency, concerning what's cheap and what's not?

Thanks.

Hi, i am unable to comment on the specific course however this uni seems to be extremely welcoming to international students such as yourself. If you know the language and are not shy you will get on and make alot of freinds who i expect will help you understand the transport systems, currency, what is cheap and any other issues. I am a 2nd year student now sharing a house with an international student (and 3 other non internationals) so i am sure on that part you will have no problems.

Feel free to private message me for more info.
Original post by Kay_LaDope
Hi,

Thanks.

Luckily for you Stoke is cheap, especially if you get your little convenience things from the Asian shops :smile:

Though do most of your supermarket shopping from Asda, and you're set that way

Also, this is not a response to you, but more a response to people who were earlier saying that I did a **** course at a **** uni, when I am working in the heart of communications in a blue chip. Make of that what you will.
Original post by de_monies
Luckily for you Stoke is cheap, especially if you get your little convenience things from the Asian shops :smile:

Though do most of your supermarket shopping from Asda, and you're set that way

Also, this is not a response to you, but more a response to people who were earlier saying that I did a **** course at a **** uni, when I am working in the heart of communications in a blue chip. Make of that what you will.

Asda and Asian shops! I'll remember that! Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 67
you had me at sausage fest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
My personal opinion, is that Staffordshire university is a fantastic place to study that presents students with many opportunities. I've been there for a year now, entering second year and the quality of the uni was always on my mind. University really is what you make of it, thats quite a general statement to make. I've met so many people who are great people, but spend too much time getting wasted and hanging the next day. If you spend 3 years, constantly hungover then you've pretty much wasted £50,000 that you'll be paying back for the next 30 years. I cannot understand why anyone would come out of university with less than a 2.1 / 2.2 happy. If anybody tries hard enough they can achieve good results. And for those who find academic study challenging, their is plenty of support available so there is no excuse. That being said - definitely go out, have fun, join loads of clubs and have a fantastic time; that is a massive part of university life! I've seen two extremes - people who stay in for the whole year, those who go out every night. If you want to enjoy uni, and get good grades - find that happy medium. Take up every opportunity the university gives you and say yes to everything thrown at you. If you get out there and take up all the opportunities that helps you in your subject and financially (part time work) I guarantee you that your uni life will be far better than a lot of people in any university who just use it as an excuse for a 3 year binge.

Those who say it's crap and it's rubbish, usually are the ones that will go out too much, to the same old venues get wasted. Turn up to lectures hungover and head home to watch TV. I can't say that sounds very exciting... Why would it be? That is why they say it is crap. They aren't using university to it's full potential.

I took many opportunities from the uni up over the past year, said yes to a lot of things and had a great social life + nights out. I couldn't be happier.

You make the opportunities for yourself - if you get out there and try hard, you will actually enjoy it. You will meet people who have a low attitude towards work, and they will probably try to bring you down. But if you get past all that, you'll have an amazing 3 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone do/did English and Creative Writing at this uni? If so, what are your overall thoughts!
Reply 70
Hi guys, I Wondered the same thing and found this group was good at answering a few questions, see you in September!!!facebook.com/groups/1104840509548447/

Latest

Trending

Trending