The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Angry Stoic
I've been told by people on this forum that its not a sin in Islam to be gay but only to commit gay sexual acts. So a gay Muslim can still go to heaven right?

Yes

When in heaven can they have gay sex? Otherwise it's hardly perfect for them?

No

If you answer 'They won't have sinful thought or desires' then that really changing their core personality. Our sexuality is one of the biggest things that defines us. What's the point of going to heaven if you just become a twisted version of yourself there?

This point can be argued with endless back and forth's it is really more of a debaters point to argue over rather than an Islamic point.

I could put forth the argument that the nature of man is the how you will be in heaven so it is on earth that it changes, but you could easily refute that and then it goes on.....

For this reason i don't see it wise to argue this point here, make a thread about it and attract debaters such as Al Fatiha and MENDACIUM who will probably be more than happy to debate over this point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Infinity_4652
X

To add to Iqbal's points i think this video explains it well

[video="youtube;JgdmhxIa56M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdmhxIa56M[/video]
I've been told by people on this forum that its not a sin in Islam to be gay but only to commit gay sexual acts. So a gay Muslim can still go to heaven right?

When in heaven can they have gay sex? Otherwise it's hardly perfect for them?

If you answer 'They won't have sinful thought or desires' then that really changing their core personality. Our sexuality is one of the biggest things that defines us. What's the point of going to heaven if you just become a twisted version of yourself there?

Things that would be forbidden in this life (such as alcohol) will be allowed in heaven but in an even better form (a non-intoxicating version).

So there are definitely things that are allowed which were previously banned. Obviously, however we don't know with most things.
Original post by Spaz Man
Things that would be forbidden in this life (such as alcohol) will be allowed in heaven but in an even better form (a non-intoxicating version).

So there are definitely things that are allowed which were previously banned. Obviously, however we don't know with most things.

Isn't the reason most people drink alcohol is to become intoxicated?

So do you think there will be gay sex?
I just want to know more about the religion of which i have been taught to live by - i seek to gain knowledge.
If you're a non-muslim, please feel free to answer my questions. I do hope though it wont become a debate.

I am muslim myself. But after reading the quran in english,this is the first time ever in my life i have thought about these questions. I have never really been taught about the concepts which the questions below ask about.

The quran speaks of the afterlife and day of resurrection time and time again. It also mentions the non-muslims several times.

1) I have many non-muslim friends who have never done anything wrong to harm others, they happen to be really awesome friends.
Also, my mother (who lives in venice) isnt muslim and she also has never done anything wrong to harm others.
In the quran, it says that all disbelievers of islam will be punished severely in the afterlife - in hell.
So what exceptions will god make when the disbelievers will be put in hell?
hello

since you asked non-Muslims to answer, I will give you my opinion

Muslims consider (for some reason) that the truth of Islam is obvious to any honest, truthful person

for this reason, it follows that non-Muslims who are informed about Islam, and fail to recognise its truth, are basically arrogant and dishonest

for this reason, they deserve eternal hellfire (where their skin will be carbonised, but new skin will regrow so that their suffering may not be interrupted)

since I find this attitude completely irresponsible and wrong, I would never convert to Islam

I hope I haven't offended anyone

best

2) The are people in the world who are no longer muslims. There are also people have rejected islam when first told about the religion.
These people have been told things which are not true about the religion, so they never would they want to be a muslim. These people are not to blame.
But once again, god says they will be punished in hell...
Will god forgive them if they happen to have the wrong image of the religion (eg have been put off becoming a muslim because of terrorism)?
no, Muslims think that if non-Muslims never were informed in a correct way about Islam, they are not responsible for not converting

3) There are verses in the quran which say to kill the non-muslims.
What are the exceptions for doing this? Because there are good people in the world who are not muslims and have never done anything wrong to harm others.
And is this why terrorists are trying to bomb everywhere? Because they've misunderstood what the quran says?
Muslims will tell you that the famous verse "kill unbelievers wherever you find them" actually refers to a specific group of unbelievers fighting against Muslims at the battle of Badr

also, supposedly, this order is directed at the angels fighting as the Muslims' allies
Original post by mariachi
Muslims will tell you that the famous verse "kill unbelievers wherever you find them" actually refers to a specific group of unbelievers fighting against Muslims at the battle of Badr

also, supposedly, this order is directed at the angels fighting as the Muslims' allies

If you are going to quote a verse quote all of it, and quote the verses before and after it.

I assume you are referring to verse 2:191.

2:190 - And fight in God's cause those who fight you, and do not transgress, indeed God does not love the transgressors

2:191 - And fight them wherever you find them and drive them out from where they drove you out, and temptation is worse than killing, and don't fight them in the Sacred Mosque unless they fight you, if they fight you kill them, that is the reward for the disbelievers

2:192 - If they cease, indeed God is Forgiving, Merciful

So you see, this verse is not referring to all disbelievers.

If you are not referring to this verse, tell us what verse you are referring to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
If you are going to quote a verse quote all of it, and quote the verses before and after it.

I assume you are referring to verse 2:191.
actually, I was quoting (from memory) 8:12, which however is slightly different - it goes "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads".

Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
this verse is not referring to all disbelievers.

As I clearly indicated, Muslims consider that this order refers to a specific group of unbelievers. I also indicated that, supposedly, this order is directed at the angels fighting as the Muslims' allies at the battle of Badr

so it is not clear what you are on about
(edited 10 years ago)

off topic mariachi, but I've been on TSR for a long time and had a previous account. What I remember the most is that you've always been so staunchly anti Islam. From what I guess you're a girl and an ex Muslim (surprise surprise) what I don't understand however is why you've haven't "moved on" from Islam, or why are you still hung up on it in other words?
Original post by 2ndClass
What I remember the most is that you've always been so staunchly anti Islam. From what I guess you're a girl and an ex Muslim (surprise surprise)
I am always amused that, when a non-Muslim shows some knowledge about Islam, it is always assumed that he's an ex-Muslim

however, you're wrong : I am neither an ex-Muslim, nor am I a girl

however yes, I don't like Islam, and I think there is much to criticise in it

why haven't I moved on ?

well, I'm not done criticising yet

and now, stop or we will get warning points

best
I am always amused that, when a non-Muslim shows some knowledge about Islam, it is always assumed that he's an ex-Muslim

however yes, I don't like Islam, and I think there is much to criticise in it

why haven't I moved on ?

well, I'm not done criticising yet

and now, stop or we will get warning points

best

It's not your knowledge that's the issue I just had no idea that you were a non Muslim, makes things even more....bizarre tbh. If you were an ex Muslim it would just appear like you're the crazy ex who can't come to terms that the relationship is over but given that you're a non Muslim and still have this obsession, I really don't know what to describe it as tbh,

But who cares, carry on.
Isn't the reason most people drink alcohol is to become intoxicated?

So do you think there will be gay sex?

How am I supposed to know?
Original post by Iqbal007
Its been moved here because you are asking questions about Islam, hence doesn't need a thread of its own when theres a dedicated thread to asking questions about Islam.

1)We don't know who will and who won't go to Hell, even as Muslims we can't be sure that we will go to heaven, being Muslim doesn't automatically mean heaven. Nor can we judge when we don't know how their lives will turn out and what they will do in the future.

2) Again who knows what Allah wills. Its quite complex.......Allah gives mercy where he wants to, like those who have never come across Islam or been preached to for example.

3)Read the verses thoroughly particularly whats been said before and after and look at the tafsir. Yes those verses exist but looking at the reasons behind their existent is done to a early period when Muslims were driven out to Medina and constantly attacked, it was then given that they should fight back, the people who were persecuting Muslims were non-muslims. That does not suddenly entail that Muslims should kill all non-Muslims,but specifically towards those who were attacking Muslims at the time, there were also non-Muslims who were in a Alliance with the Muslims in Medina when they came under attack.

hello

since you asked non-Muslims to answer, I will give you my opinion

Muslims consider (for some reason) that the truth of Islam is obvious to any honest, truthful person

for this reason, it follows that non-Muslims who are informed about Islam, and fail to recognise its truth, are basically arrogant and dishonest

for this reason, they deserve eternal hellfire (where their skin will be carbonised, but new skin will regrow so that their suffering may not be interrupted)

since I find this attitude completely irresponsible and wrong, I would never convert to Islam

I hope I haven't offended anyone

best

no, Muslims think that if non-Muslims never were informed in a correct way about Islam, they are not responsible for not converting

Thanks guys!! You've pretty much helped me out here with your answers. I dont think i have any more questions to ask.
Sorry for replying late though.

Original post by getoom
To add to Iqbal's points i think this video explains it well

[video="youtube;JgdmhxIa56M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdmhxIa56M[/video]

I mentioned earlier that my mother isnt muslim...
She married my dad (who is muslim) and lived with my dad's family in mauritius for like 2 years or so.
They've always had arguments about everything - so basiclly they never get on well and all i can remember from my childhood is a lot of arguing.
She knew that my dad's family is muslim, but stayed as a Christian. I think she didnt like my dad's family so much which is why she never wanted to become a muslim.
When i was born, she suffered depression and became in a way 'mentally ill'.
After a year or so, she divorced my dad and she went to venice while i stayed in mauritius.

So yh after watching the video, i was just wondering what 'type of disbeliever' is my mother? (sorry for the long story)
Thanks guys!! You've pretty much helped me out here with your answers. I dont think i have any more questions to ask.
Sorry for replying late though.

I mentioned earlier that my mother isnt muslim...
She married my dad (who is muslim) and lived with my dad's family in mauritius for like 2 years or so.
They've always had arguments about everything - so basiclly they never get on well and all i can remember from my childhood is a lot of arguing.
She knew that my dad's family is muslim, but stayed as a Christian. I think she didnt like my dad's family so much which is why she never wanted to become a muslim.
When i was born, she suffered depression and became in a way 'mentally ill'.
After a year or so, she divorced my dad and she went to venice while i stayed in mauritius.

So yh after watching the video, i was just wondering what 'type of disbeliever' is my mother? (sorry for the long story)

I'm really not too sure, As the Shaykh said at the beginning of the video the final judgment is up to Allah, it sounds to me very complicated and so there looks to be a lot that you wouldn't be able to communicate to me over the internet and i don't know what is in you Mother's heart.

I would just say pray for the mercy of guidance for your mum and InshAllah i will to.

But i'm glad i could help bro.
Original post by getoom
I'm really not too sure, As the Shaykh said at the beginning of the video the final judgment is up to Allah, it sounds to me very complicated and so there looks to be a lot that you wouldn't be able to communicate to me over the internet and i don't know what is in you Mother's heart.

I would just say pray for the mercy of guidance for your mum and InshAllah i will to.

But i'm glad i could help bro.
Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 1996

This isn't really something we can answer. For all we know, she's not a disbeliever at all.

Weren't you the one who was posting in the previous ex-Muslims thread that got off topic? I thought you were ex-Muslim as well...

I thought this thread was a Q&A thing, not a debate thing..? :confused:
Is it true that homosexuals (muslim and non-muslim), should be punished by death?
Original post by Little Isis
Is it true that homosexuals (muslim and non-muslim), should be punished by death?

Not for being a homosexual, but for fi'l qawm Lut/Liwat (ie. sodomy);

Hanafi - No
Shafi'i - Only if they're married, then yes
Hanbali/Maliki - Yes

But like with adultery/fornication, the requirements for the actual punishment is difficult (arguably almost impossible) to achieve.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Not for being a homosexual, but for fi'l qawm Lut/Liwat (ie. sodomy);

Hanafi - No
Shafi'i - Only if they're married, then yes
Hanbali/Maliki - Yes

But like with adultery/fornication, the requirements for the actual punishment is difficult (arguably almost impossible) to achieve.

Do the witnesses just have to say you did it or say they saw you having gay sex?

Cus, yunno... I've been to some wild parties.

Latest

Trending

Trending