The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
It clearly states that this thread is to answer questions, not to have a discussion. Debating with and trying to prove Muslims wrong is not the point of the thread.
as sallamu alaykum (may peace be with you)

is it a fard or a sunnah to wake up for suhoor in a NON Obligitary fast like mondays and thursdays or the fast of dawood
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 382
What is the Islamic view on lesbians? (Not taking the piss, is it the same as "homosexuality"?).
Original post by Organ
What is the Islamic view on lesbians? (Not taking the piss, is it the same as "homosexuality"?).

Lesbians are homosexual
Reply 384
Original post by Person1001
Lesbians are homosexual

So the exact same rules?

i.) A major sin
ii.) If witnessed by four people or more then it is prosecutable by humans
Reply 385
Original post by Organ
So the exact same rules?

i.) A major sin
ii.) If witnessed by four people or more then it is prosecutable by humans

This might shed some light on it (not sure about the four witness thing)

This is undoubtedly haraam, and some scholars regard it as a major sin.

And it talks about the punishment too.
Reply 386
Original post by getoom
as sallamu alaykum

is it a fard or a sunnah to wake up for suhoor in a NON Obligitary fast like mondays and thursdays or the fast of dawood

Wa 'aleykum As-Salaam :smile:

Suhoor is not a condition for fasting, even when fasting during Ramadan.
Reply 387
Hi, it's me again!

Original post by In2deep
:biggrin:on't worry, questions are always welcome!

It is within our nature to grow both beards and moustaches (if you are male that is!), the moustache is left because there is a difference between our nature and our natural disposition [fitrah]:

Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard the Prophet saying "Five practices are characteristics of the Fitra: circumcision, shaving the pubic hair, cutting the moustaches short, clipping the nails, and depilating the hair of the armpits." [72:779 Bukhari]

The beard is sometimes trimmed, the method is the grab your beard with your hand and anything that is longer is cut (although there is some dispute), to avoid looking messy. It is important in Islam to see the beauty in all things and to present oneself well. The importance of cleanliness can also not be stressed enough:

‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood, who narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one will enter Paradise who has an atom’s-weight of pride in his heart.” A man said, “What if a man likes his clothes to look good and his shoes to look good?” He said, “Allaah is beautiful and loves beauty. Pride means denying the truth and looking down on people.” [131 Muslim]

And as mentioned before, it is important to differentiate between Muslims and others:

"The ruler of Yemen, appointed by the Persian emperor Kisraa, sent two envoys to the Messenger (S) to summon him. When they came into his presence, he noticed that they had shaved their beards and grew their moustaches. He hated to look at them (because of their odd appearance) and he said: Woe be to you, who told you to do so? They replied: "Our lord! (referring to Kisraa.)" The Messenger (S) then said:

But my Lord, may He be exalted and glorified, has commanded me to leave alone my beard and to trim my moustache."

I'm writing about the appearance of the Muslim and how a distinct appearance creates a sense of unity... I was wondering whether any of those quotations about are from the Qur'an? Because I'm looking specifically at the Qur'an and will need appearance based lines to back up my points. :smile:

Also, I'd appreciate if someone could give me some quotations from the Qur'an and also explain what a Muslim woman should look like; eg, remove hair or not? Headscarf, burka? I know there are different opinions and that's fine, I just need to get them into my essay.

Thanks!
Reply 388
Translations, people.
If you go to heaven, but your parents/friends go to hell, then do you lose out on the heavenly experience?
Reply 390
Original post by SaintSoldier
If you go to heaven, but your parents/friends go to hell, then do you lose out on the heavenly experience?

what do you mean by heavenly experience?
Original post by amerzeb
what do you mean by heavenly experience?

If you know that your parents/friends are in hell, you won't feel happy will you? You'll feel sad for them an their suffering, hence you "miss out" on the happiness of others in heaven.
Reply 392
If you know that your parents/friends are in hell, you won't feel happy will you? You'll feel sad for them an their suffering, hence you "miss out" on the happiness of others in heaven.

There is no sadness in Jannah except the sadness that you did not remember Allaah (swt) enough in this world.
Original post by In2deep
There is no sadness in Jannah except the sadness that you did not remember Allaah (swt) enough in this world.

Surely you would have had to have remembered him a lot to get to heaven in the first place?
Reply 394

you be free of any guilt and grief and be happy that you are in paradise
Reply 395
Surely you would have had to have remembered him a lot to get to heaven in the first place?

You could always have done better and Allaah knows best..
Original post by In2deep
"Dating" similar to what we see here in the "Western-world" does not exist among Muslims. the general misconception is that the only alternative to this method and the method used by Muslims is an "arranged marriage" but this isn't the case, the most common method does have similarities and friends and family may assist in arranging matches, but the final decision is left up to the couple.

The choice of a marriage partner is one of the most important decisions a person will make in his or her lifetime. It should not be taken lightly, nor left to chance or hormones. It should be taken as seriously as any other major decision in life - with prayer, careful investigation, and family involvement.

There are certain social norms that facilitate this method, Muslims form very close bonds between same-sex friends ("brothers" and "sisters") who can recommend partners if they think there is a suitability. Parents and other family members might also do the same. This could lead eventually to a meeting between the potential couple and see if the click, so to speak.

the things they take into account are different for each gender, a man is advised to look for a potential wife who fears Allaah (swt), is righteous and patient (among other qualities). The moral character of the woman is considered far more important than her looks or wealth.

The final step would be for the individuals to pray "salat al-istikharaa" and from there on the couple would either agree to pursue marriage or part ways; the freedom of choice to both the young man and woman is preserved, they cannot be forced into a marriage that they don't want.

Family involvement in the choice of a marriage partner helps assure that the choice is based not on romantic notions, but rather on a careful, objective evaluation of the compatibility of the couple. This type of focused courtship helps ensure the strength of the marriage, by drawing upon family elders' wisdom and guidance in this important life decision. That is why these marriages often prove successful in the long-term.

No disrespect mate, but when you say Muslims, can you quote a certain sect, or a certain type, cos ermm... i'm Muslim, , my parents are Muslim, (Sufi) and we kinda like the whole dating concept. Just perhaps without so much sexual involvement.

So be more specific next time yeah?
Thanks.
Reply 397
Original post by orihime-lover
No disrespect mate, but when you say Muslims, can you quote a certain sect, or a certain type, cos ermm... i'm Muslim, , my parents are Muslim, (Sufi) and we kinda like the whole dating concept. Just perhaps without so much sexual involvement.

Thanks.

When I say Muslims I mean Muslims who implement the Qur'an and Sunnah and not the"Muslim by name" type (with all due respect).

If you actually are arguing from a theological point then you don't have a leg to stand on, I am then free to assume that when you say "Sufi" you just mean you are casually following Islam; implementing the rules you like and ignoring the ones you don't according to your own whims.
Why is there so much emphasis on "fear," rather than "love," of God in Islam?
Reply 399
Original post by orihime-lover

Thanks.

And what are the details of this 'dating'?
Does it involve physical contact, such as hugging & kissing, or simple careful chatting?

Latest

Trending

Trending