The Student Room Group

The Edexcel D1 (18/05/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by safmaster
Hey arsey, what time are you planning to post the solutions on Saturday?

when I wake up
Reply 181
Original post by This Honest
I don't wanna see prims algorithm :no: in the test
the rest WILL come up :sigh:

what is wrong with Prims, it is very easy to apply???

I think Prims and Bin packing are nailed on to be on tomorrow.
When doing binary search which part do you reject if the person is not on the list?
Hey everyone! Can someone help with explaining Q5c on the Jan 2011 paper please? I always struggle with this sort of question on the paper. Thanks in advance
In the June 2011 paper I did 1b using quick sort (same as the ms) but I have included J as a pivot. are you not supposed to because its already in the correct position? how many marks would i lose?
how's everyone feeling about tomorrow? :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
when I wake up

With Prim's algorithm and the distance matrix, when you're saying which edges you select, say, you choose C connected to F, does it matter whether you write CF or FC (I know this is very trivial, but I don't want to lose marks!)

Thanks!
Reply 187
Original post by Anonymous1994
Hey everyone! Can someone help with explaining Q5c on the Jan 2011 paper please? I always struggle with this sort of question on the paper. Thanks in advance

Just done this paper.

The question states the machine will start at D, and you can finish at any other odd node. What I do first is find the shortest lengths between the other three nodes - so (F-I), (A-f), and (A-I), and then base where I will end on the node that isn't one of the two where you will add a repeat arc.

So in the case of this question you would identify that (FHI) is the smallest repeat arc, (5.3), and therefore would choose to finish at A, as this would minimise the length of the journey.

Hope that makes some sense and helps. :smile:
Original post by Arsey
what is wrong with Prims, it is very easy to apply???

I think Prims and Bin packing are nailed on to be on tomorrow.

I can do it but it requires more thought for me, I prefer kruskal.

Question: when I do kruskals and there are 3 arcs that has to be rejrcted at the end, the MS doesnt include them, why not
(edited 12 years ago)
Good luck tomorrow everyone I'm sure we'll all do well! :smile:
Original post by WaNaBe
Just done this paper.

The question states the machine will start at D, and you can finish at any other odd node. What I do first is find the shortest lengths between the other three nodes - so (F-I), (A-f), and (A-I), and then base where I will end on the node that isn't one of the two where you will add a repeat arc.

So in the case of this question you would identify that (FHI) is the smallest repeat arc, (5.3), and therefore would choose to finish at A, as this would minimise the length of the journey.

Hope that makes some sense and helps. :smile:

Cheers that really helped :smile: Awgh I hate D1 so much! Cannot revise it at all
Original post by The Illuminati
When doing binary search which part do you reject if the person is not on the list?

When doing Binary the list should always be in alphabetical order, so if your looking for Kim example and your pivot is Ronald then you would reject the bottom half of list because if Kim would be there it would be before Ronald as K comes before R in the alphabet.
Reply 192
I can do it but it requires more thought for me, I prefer kruskal.

Question: when I do kruskals and there are 3 arcs that has to be rejrcted at the end, the MS doesnt include them, why not

because prim's stops once the/a MST has been found
Reply 193
Original post by JOR2010
With Prim's algorithm and the distance matrix, when you're saying which edges you select, say, you choose C connected to F, does it matter whether you write CF or FC (I know this is very trivial, but I don't want to lose marks!)

Thanks!

no

technically, you go from the matched to unmatched node, but I don't believe for a second it matters.
Original post by Arsey
because prim's stops once the/a MST has been found

How do you know when to stop though?
I don't understand, I'm talking about kruskal's, not prims
Reply 195
Original post by Anonymous1994
Cheers that really helped :smile: Awgh I hate D1 so much! Cannot revise it at all

No worries, for some weird reason I quite enjoy it. The only problem I have with it is when revising it, it takes me pretty much an hour and a half to do a paper, where with Core modules I only need about 45 minutes. Good luck tomorrow - and everyone else for that matter! :colone:
Reply 196
How do you know when to stop though?
I don't understand, I'm talking about kruskal's, not prims

once every node has been connected, applies to both Kruskal's and Prim's
When it says that you don't need to check for cycles in prim's....a lot of the time I do have to reject in prim's as wel...
Original post by Arsey
once every node has been connected, applies to both Kruskal's and Prim's

ohhhhhhh, thanks, i get it now.

Would I lose marks if I still carried on?
Reply 199

ohhhhhhh, thanks, i get it now.

Would I lose marks if I still carried on?

Yes, it wouldn't be a MST.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending