The Student Room Group

Are we ever going to find out where life comes from?

Currently, noone knows how life is formed and things like where we are before we are born. Similarly, noone knows what happens to us after we die.

There are many theories, some believe in after life, heaven, hell, reincarnation or just pure nothingness. The truth is these are just beliefs and nobody knows for sure.

Likewise, people didn't have a clue what the sun was for thousands of years. It took humanity a really long time to discover that the Earth is round and that it is not the center of the universe but it revolves around the Sun. Only in the 20th century did we find out about space-time and how space can be bent and time slowed down. Before that it was a mystery. I'm sure that people in Egypt contemplated what that shiny object in the sky was, people simply didn't have a clue for 5000 years, until recently!!

Do you think that with the advancement of humanity, in a few thousand years we will know what happens when we die and if our soul lives on or if it lived before we were born? Do you think we will be able to understand it, in that are we intelligent enough as a species? Or is this going to be answered be another life form that is more intelligent than us? Perhaps aliens or a further evolved species with bigger brains.

In other words, do you think that these questions definitively have answers, it's just we don't know that yet or not smart enough to understand; or do you think that these questions can never be answered for sure, and it's up to us what we believe in?
(edited 12 years ago)
It all depends on whether new evidence emerges to give us a starting point to investigate. Currently we have no evidence for life after death for example, so we say it does not exist.

So really, no one knows at this stage whether we'll find anything out.
Reply 2
From Mummy bear and Daddy bear
Original post by bizso09
Currently, noone knows how life is formed and things like where we are before we are born. Similarly, noone knows what happens to us after we die.

There are many theories, some believe in after life, heaven, hell, reincarnation or just pure nothingness. The truth is these are just beliefs and nobody knows for sure.

Likewise, people didn't have a clue what the sun was for thousands of years. It took humanity a really long time to discover that the Earth is round and that it is not the center of the universe but it revolves around the Sun. Only in the 20th century did we find out about space-time and how space can be bent and time slowed down. Before that it was a mystery. I'm sure that people in Egypt contemplated what that shiny object in the sky was, people simply didn't have a clue for 5000 years, until recently!!

Do you think that with the advancement of humanity, in a few thousand years we will know what happens when we die and if our soul lives on or if it lived before we were born? Do you think we will be able to understand it, in that are we intelligent enough as a species? Or is this going to be answered be another life form that is more intelligent than us? Perhaps aliens or a further evolved species with bigger brains.

In other words, do you think that these questions definitively have answers, it's just we don't know that yet or not smart enough to understand; or do you think that these questions can never be answered for sure, and it's up to us what we believe in?

Well currently we have no reason to assume there is any form of life after death simply because human consciousness is reliant on the brain functioning, when you are classified as dead there is no brain activity so given our current level of understanding it is the safest option to assume the consciousness also ceases to function.

Every question has an answer, although obviously life after death is a tricky one. the current most likely answer is death also results in the death of any consciousness.

In the future that may change, people have already researched the possibility of moving a persons personality and memories into a computer for instance, although that has largely been accepted as impossible at this current time, in the future who knows.
Basically there's a sperm and egg sandwich and some massive mouth with weird shaped lips come in and eat it, it gets digested and then the eater ****s out a baby or two.
Reply 5
also, it kinda scares me. I mean if you think about, we came into existence from nothing, and when we die we become nothing. So what are we now? Are we in reality, nothing?
Reply 6
Original post by bizso09
also, it kinda scares me. I mean if you think about, we came into existence from nothing, and when we die we become nothing. So what are we now? Are we in reality, nothing?

I don't think that the current theories state that the universe came into existence from nothing with the Big Bang (a rather erroneous term tbh) but that we currently do not have enough knowledge and understanding of the mechanics of the universe to work out what state it existed in before.
but that we do no
You mean it's not God?
Reply 8
Just look in the Qur'an!!! That has the answer to everything
Reply 9
This should be in the "Philosophy" section.
good created everything

lol jk
Reply 11
no

Original post by Zhy
Just look in the Qur'an!!! That has the answer to everything

I agree. And for those disbelievers, check out your hands; when intertwined they should read 'Allah'.

Anyway, all will be revealed on your death bed when the angel of death comes to take your soul; those who struggle have sinned and know they will go to hell, whereas those who die peacefully are soon to be greeted at the gates of one of the seven heavens as they have not strayed from the right path and resisted temptation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes but even if we reach the answers of them questions, what next? Who made god? Why do those things happen ect. I don't think we'll ever reach true meaning.
Original post by Biggabaggaboo
I agree. And for those disbelievers, check out your hands; when intertwined they should read 'Allah'.

In Arabic?
Reply 15
no. and does it matter?
Original post by Ayshizzle

In Arabic?

No...but if you're interested and would like to see more proof of Islam, check out the images on this website: http://www.islamcan.com/miracles/index.shtml

(The one about the hands is obviously the 'Amazing marks on your hands' one.)
Original post by Biggabaggaboo
No...but if you're interested and would like to see more proof of Islam, check out the images on this website: http://www.islamcan.com/miracles/index.shtml

(The one about the hands is obviously the 'Amazing marks on your hands' one.)

Ah I see. A tenuous link at best. And people see Jesus's face all over the place, doesn't prove Christianity is the one true religion. In Malaysia a bit ago people claimed some statues of Buddha were moving. This sorta thing happens all the time!
Reply 18
well there's two broad options: stardust and God. pick

if you want to read physics you will only confuse the matter more.........

Ah I see. A tenuous link at best. And people see Jesus's face all over the place, doesn't prove Christianity is the one true religion. In Malaysia a bit ago people claimed some statues of Buddha were moving. This sorta thing happens all the time!

a) Christianity is part of Islam as we believe it was one of the religions introduced by God before Islam.
b) How the hell can people know what Jesus actually looked like as they didn't have cameras at the time, paintings aren't accurate and no one has actually miraculously survived to tell the story and recognize him by face.
c) And the people who were claiming to see (man made) statues moving were possibly delusional, in the middle of an earth quake, or had been been poisoned with contaminated water.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending