Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

C4 Jan 12 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion - Solutions in first post

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone. High probability i will screw up =/. I hope they gave simple differential equations - nothing too tricky -_-
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah456)
    Good luck to everyone. High probability i will screw up =/. I hope they gave simple differential equations - nothing too tricky -_-
    Lol exactly what im thinking. Simple vectors as well please
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Lol exactly what im thinking. Simple vectors as well please
    A big chance we won't be getting a simple differential equation as the last two years - they were pretty simple. I find vectors comparably alot easier..but yeah, its usually the last part for me, which really kicks me...Damn you C4..-__-and C3...but not as much. =/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which solomon papers did you find the hardest? I'll give them a go.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last minute question!
    If you have a line, say (1,2,3) + lambda(2,0,1) and you want to find the coordinates of a point on the line, which you know to be perpendicular (from the line to the origin) how would you work out it's coordinates?
    I thought you would dot product (x,y,z) and (2,0,1) and then get: 2x+z=0. Then I would sub in random numbers, like x=2, to find z=-4, to get (2,0,-1), but this isn't correct apparently. :-S
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you know the correct answer
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anjelofernando)
    do you know the correct answer
    Sorry, I missed out that there's another point, A, on the line, (1,2,3).
    But then, say you let the point where the line is perp. to the origin be F, then it has coordinates (x,y,z).
    Then, if you work out AF (-1+x,-2+y,-3+z) and OF(x,y,z) and dot product, then you have three unknowns- which is more confusing :-S
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    On vector questions where is asks you to find the coordinates of A (the point of intersection - this tends to be a 1 mark question, I think), I always find lambda and the other symbol first, then substitute in to find A. This is really long though (far too long for one mark!) so how else could I find A?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsasg)
    On vector questions where is asks you to find the coordinates of A (the point of intersection - this tends to be a 1 mark question, I think), I always find lambda and the other symbol first, then substitute in to find A. This is really long though (far too long for one mark!) so how else could I find A?
    Post the question so that we can help you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekha2611)
    No sorry, but I'm really just looking for methods tbh
    this is my opinion im not that sure if im correct though

the problem is that xyz in this case is positional vector not a directional vector so it cant be used in the dot product , and the data is slightly not enough
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anjelofernando)
    this is my opinion im not that sure if im correct though

the problem is that xyz in this case is positional vector not a directional vector so it cant be used in the dot product , and the data is slightly not enough
    I know it's a dodgy question, but how else would you find the position vector of a point on the line, given another point and the vector equation of the line itself?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all

If you see a question that you can't solve immediately, just stay calm and think clearly about what the question is asking you. Remember that all the information you need to answer a question will be written down, or you will have worked it out previously.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a dodgy question, but how else would you find the position vector of a point on the line, given another point and the vector equation of the line itself?
    Can you post an example because the way you're describing it isn't making much sense to me?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Can you post an example because the way you're describing it isn't making much sense to me?
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36280449/TSR...20question.bmp
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I missed out that there's another point, A, on the line, (1,2,3).
    But then, say you let the point where the line is perp. to the origin be F, then it has coordinates (x,y,z).
    Then, if you work out AF (-1+x,-2+y,-3+z) and OF(x,y,z) and dot product, then you have three unknowns- which is more confusing :-S
    i got an answer -1,2,2 but in a very long and not sure way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used the dot theorem with OF and the line l1 to find when their product is equal to zero.

OF is given by the equation as (1+2λ,2,3+λ) and the direction of the line as (2,0,1)

Then using the dot product

(2)(1+2λ)+(1)(3+λ)=0
    2+4λ+3+λ=0
    5λ=-5
    so λ = -1
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhonwds)
    I used the dot theorem with OF and the line l1 to find when their product is equal to zero.

OF is given by the equation as (1+2λ,2,3+λ) and the direction of the line as (2,0,1)

(2)(1+2λ)+(1)(3+λ)=0
    2+4λ+3+λ=0
    5λ=-5
    so λ = -1
    Why is OF (1+2λ,2,3+λ)?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhonwds)

(2)(1+2λ)+(1)(3+λ)=0
    2+4λ+3+λ=0
    5λ=-5
    so λ = -1
    i got lambda as -1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is OF (1+2λ,2,3+λ)?
    The equation of a line in vector form, gives you the position vector of any point that lies on the line.

Taking the line equation we have (1,2,3)+λ(2,0,1) we can say that any point that lies on the line is given by (1+2λ,2+λ(0),3+λ) so (1+2λ,2,3+λ).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i g2g so good luck to u all !!!!!!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.