The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Do colleges such as Kings and Trinity ever fish?
Reply 81
Original post by Luccy.
Do colleges such as Kings and Trinity ever fish?

Accordong to the stats, yes, but once in a blue moon. Don't count on it.
Reply 82
what are the autopool criteria for the IB. I am a student obviously and I havent given the exams so will it be based on my predictions?
Also being pooled from Robinson means I have a lesser chance of getting in?
Reply 83

Unless I'm blind, it's not what I'm looking for unfortunately. :frown:
What I'd like to know is how many people who applied to study X at college Y were placed in the winter pool. From what I see the statistics only reveal the amount of people who applied to study X at college Y were placed in the winter pool and were "fished" from the pool.
Been pooled from Fitzwilliam for NatSci, and the waiting begins again (n)
Seems like Pembroke pooled a lot. Not sure if that's good. Is Pembroke a very popular one then? Also (I know nothing :smile: ) what does auto-pool mean? Is it good or bad? And just to clarify- three-quarters of people from the pool who get a place aren't reinterviewed? So very few are reinterviewed? Thanks for this thread. Also on Saturday I have something unavoidable on which I can't have my phone on for. It can be on silent and I can check it. If they ring and I miss it should I ring back when I notice? Or just wait for them to ring again? I'd be worried I'd miss it twice although I could ring back at any time if I just stepped outside.
Reply 86
Original post by J.tytler
Accordong to the stats, yes, but once in a blue moon. Don't count on it.

Yes just wondered if they did. I can see me answering the phone, if i'm lucky enough to get a call, and them saying the college and me no realising who they are. Need to read what colleges actually exist.
Reply 87
Is the 2011 admissions cycle the one that was last year or ours?
Reply 88
Original post by Sdiff
Unless I'm blind, it's not what I'm looking for unfortunately. :frown:
What I'd like to know is how many people who applied to study X at college Y were placed in the winter pool. From what I see the statistics only reveal the amount of people who applied to study X at college Y were placed in the winter pool and were "fished" from the pool.

Ahh I see.... I don't think they publish that :/ Would be interesting data to have though.

Original post by Luccy.
Yes just wondered if they did. I can see me answering the phone, if i'm lucky enough to get a call, and them saying the college and me no realising who they are. Need to read what colleges actually exist.

Haha, I don't really care what college it is tbh lol as long as it's cambridge I'm happy :L

Fingers crossed for somewhere central-ish but... beggers can't be choosers!
Reply 89
Original post by emily_becca
I have just been pooled from trinity hall for economics, am now spending my time glued to my phone! The information above is really useful, thanks

Original post by kirino1
Pooled by Christs for Economics

Im pooled for econ too, what are your academics like? :/
Original post by Georgeof

what are the autopool criteria for the IB. I am a student obviously and I havent given the exams so will it be based on my predictions?
Also being pooled from Robinson means I have a lesser chance of getting in?

Don't worry about auto-pooling, and your not at a disadvantage from which college your pooled from.
Reply 91
Pooled from Churchill for Physical NatSci. I meet the auto-pool requirements, but I don't think my interview went terribly either. What's so bad about being auto-pooled by the way?
Original post by duckpancakes
How come they have stats for them for 2011? Surely they don't know how many pooled places they've given yet?

The cyle labelled '2011' was last year. its the 2012 cyle currently.
Original post by Brightning
Pooled from Churchill for Physical NatSci. I meet the auto-pool requirements, but I don't think my interview went terribly either. What's so bad about being auto-pooled by the way?

The theory is that if you were pooled by your grades alone that puts you in the 'lowest' pooling category, and the report from your interviewers is unlikely to be great. Basically you looked good on paper but didn't perform.
Reply 94
Original post by lesadmick
Don't worry about auto-pooling, and your not at a disadvantage from which college your pooled from.

Why not?
Also the letter says that Robinson, the college I originally applied may fish me again? What are these chances?
Why not?
Also the letter says that Robinson, the college I originally applied may fish me again? What are these chances?

If they've said they may fish you back out again, Robinson may be 'testing the waters' with you and checking out other applicants in the pool. If they like you over someone else they'll pull you back out and offer you a place. I think there are plenty of people who've had that happen to them. :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Im pooled for econ too, what are your academics like? :/

GCSE's 10A* 1A
AS AAAA
A2 (predictions) A*A*A*
UMS average definitively below 90%

Therefore i know im not in the auto pooling category so im either an A B or S student :smile:

(http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers.pdf) (see page 2)

What about you?

Also from reading that PDF it seems like our files are just on a big table somewhere and DoS's and admissions tutors are just having a look round right now...arghhh!!! I thought it was more a virtual thing?

:colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by Phredd
The cyle labelled '2011' was last year. its the 2012 cyle currently.

Reply 98
Pooled by Selwyn (Economics) :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by emily_becca
GCSE's 10A* 1A
AS AAAA
A2 (predictions) A*A*A*
UMS average definitively below 90%

Therefore i know im not in the auto pooling category so im either an A B or S student :smile:

(http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers.pdf) (see page 2)

What about you?

Also from reading that PDF it seems like our files are just on a big table somewhere and DoS's and admissions tutors are just having a look round right now...arghhh!!! I thought it was more a virtual thing?

:colondollar::colondollar:

Wow nice :smile:

5A*4A2B GCSE, 96.4% AS levels, A*A*A*a predictions, not hopeful, based on last years data 10% of economics offers were through the pool, significantly less than the ~1/3 average for the university.

Do you know where we can find out how many people were pooled for economics last year?

The table thing is weird as well, so surreal :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending