The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A good rule of thumb is, the less intelligent you are, the better grades you'll need in the standard gcse/alevel exams.
It's entirely subject dependent. If you're an extremely gifted mathematician/ scientist then getting mostly Bs and Cs at GCSE won't matter, if you can prove it with AS modules/ admission tests/ interviews. Oxbridge are interested in people who have the ability to do well in their course. Getting low grades in GCSE french/ history/ business/ art/ etc won't stop you getting in. I think all universities do require a C at English language however (or ilets).

But if you're applying for a more general (for lack of a better word) subject (or medicine), then good GCSE grades do matter. Probably because they're more subjective, and so it's hard to judge true ability in tests and interviews compared to maths/science. Also because non-maths/ science subjects will require lots of analysis, essays, discussions, reasoning and logic, creativity etc. GCSEs are a good set of exams to test basic abilities, and so are important. The competition will force high standards; if 2 people are applying for history and they are similar, but one got a few more As and A*s, then that will determine who gets the place. The competition will force GCSEs to become an important factor. Remember GCSEs are one of the few external test results available to universities.

Also, as a general rule, Oxford puts more weight on GCSEs than Cambridge (who put more weight on as module %s).
Reply 22
Original post by TattyBoJangles
No. My friend has 7A*, 3A and 1B at GCSE and AAAB at AS and she's just got an offer at Oxford for Law.

What was the B in?
No, you don't; people do make it without them - but it's certainly a good place to start.
Original post by geditor
What was the B in?

At AS? Can't remember, it was either Maths or English Lit.
Reply 25
Get mostly A*s and A but dont get below a B in anything and your GCSE's should not affect you tbh, do well in your AS exams and have a bloody good personal statement
Reply 26
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, you do not.

You don't even need an A* in the subject you want to take. Even if you got a B in maths GCSE, or a C, if you got 90s+ in your A level modules I'd put money* on it not detracting from your application.

*I realise this bet could never actually be resolved.

edit: I've just noticed I answered for cambridge only. I suspect, but don't know, that the same applies at Ox, subject obviously to their not having your UMS scores.

since people are giving personal examples, I got into cambridge law with A*A*AABBBBC at GCSE.

All of the above excludes medicine.

hi!! i was just wondering what grades you got in AS and A2?? and do you need to take specific A levels to study law at cambridge?? Thanks for any help!!!:smile:
Theoretically, you can get in with all Cs if the rest of your application is exemplary.

In practice, it depends. Having all A/A* is helpful, and for the most competitive courses it can be a decider, but it's not as important as AS levels. To an extent, it's down to luck. My friend got unlucky for an Engineering course at Oxford and was rejected for having an A in Eng Lang (rest A*) but obviously that's rare.
Reply 28
Original post by paradoxicalme
Theoretically, you can get in with all Cs if the rest of your application is exemplary.

In practice, it depends. Having all A/A* is helpful, and for the most competitive courses it can be a decider, but it's not as important as AS levels. To an extent, it's down to luck. My friend got unlucky for an Engineering course at Oxford and was rejected for having an A in Eng Lang (rest A*) but obviously that's rare.

Were they told that was the reason?
At the Trinity, Cambridge open day i asked the admissions tutor if they would care about my poor GCSEs if my AS grades were good enough and he flat out told me that i i had decent AS grades then they wouldn't care about GCSE. But i want to do one of the less popular courses so may not be the same for super competitive courses. If your interested i got A*AAAAAAAABBB and he didn't seem to think that these would hinder my application significantly. Just make sure your AS grades and UMS are good enough and show a genuine love of your subject.
Original post by Dualcore
Were they told that was the reason?

Yes, they were. (At least, I think their feedback only pointed to that reason.) She got into Imperial though and actually prefers it there I've heard, so it's all good :smile:
I got a B in art....

In all seriousness, Cambridge care a whole lot more about your AS grades. That's why they're so annoyed with government plans to get rid of them, they've built there admissions system around it. I can't tell you much about Oxford, I never even looked at their prospectus, but I've always heard they care more about GCSEs than Cambridge do.
Original post by monica555
hi!! i was just wondering what grades you got in AS and A2?? and do you need to take specific A levels to study law at cambridge?? Thanks for any help!!!:smile:

On specific A levels: no, you can take anything you like, but you should try to stay within the traditional academic subjects.

On my grades: I applied with a 92% ums average over AS classical civilisation, maths, economics and law. I finished A2 with A*A*AA (respectively), with an extra A in further maths AS, though these grades are less relevant because I already had my offer (which was A*AA -- I knew I could get the A* in maths so took my foot off the pedal with the others; I was very surprised I got the A* in classical civ).
Reply 33
Original post by TimmonaPortella
On specific A levels: no, you can take anything you like, but you should try to stay within the traditional academic subjects.

On my grades: I applied with a 92% ums average over AS classical civilisation, maths, economics and law. I finished A2 with A*A*AA (respectively), with an extra A in further maths AS, though these grades are less relevant because I already had my offer (which was A*AA -- I knew I could get the A* in maths so took my foot off the pedal with the others; I was very surprised I got the A* in classical civ).

Wow!! Those grades are amazing and thank you so much :smile: i guess they do care about AS grades more than GCSE grades then..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
There is hope
The universities differ. At Oxford most applicants will have a lot of A* grades at GSCE and you'd need to be pretty outstanding or from a school that doesn't normally send people to Oxford to get into a competitive course without mainly A* grades. Cambridge values AS results more highly and you can have lower GCSE grades if you get very good AS results.
hi , im currently in year 10 and this year of 2013 September i'll be in yr 11. i have already done my physic and biology GCSE !
For physics ... p1 = *waiting for results as i had a retake* , p2 = i got an A but i was 1 mark away from an A* and for p3 = im waiting for my reaults when i get back ! i am confident that i can get full marks in p1 and 74/80 ( the least) for p3 averaging out to an A*
FOR BIOLOGY IN B1 = B , B2 = A and in B3 i am confident i got an A* averaging out to an A
For chemistry linear i hope to get an A* but looking at the subjects i do and the potential grades i think i might get, will this be enough for me to get into Cambridge
Biology - A
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Sociolgy - A*
Computing (Computer Science) - A*
French - B
Drama - A
History - A*
English - A
Maths - A/A*
Rs - A*

Lets say i have 6-7 A* , 3-4 A's and 1 B is this good enough because i want to study physics at Cambridge and have any of you'se got good revision tips
Oxford and Cambridge are different. If you dont have a lot of A*s the chances are you wont get an interview at Oxford. You may get an interview at Cambridge if your AS grades are very good. Of course if you went to a really bad school where no-one gets any A*s grades you may be considered at both but realistically you wouldn't have much chance at Oxford.

Having a B grade (or 2) isn't necessarily a handicap if the rest of the grades are good and especially if it's in a subject like art or music that doesn't reflect on your academic ability.
Having spoken to someone who's involved with admissions at Oxford...

He said Oxford is much more into GCSE results than Cambridge - in his words, 'anything below 6 A*s and the tutors worry'.

I think Cambridge is more interested in AS results and specifically your actual marks rather than just grades...

But I wouldn't let 'below average' GCSE grades put you off at all if you're on track for good AS and A level ones :smile:

x
Original post by piano_penguin
Having spoken to someone who's involved with admissions at Oxford...

He said Oxford is much more into GCSE results than Cambridge - in his words, 'anything below 6 A*s and the tutors worry'.
Just curious as to what "someone who's involved with admissions" means? (e.g. was it a student, or a tutor, or a member of non-academic staff?) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending