The Student Room Group

Medicine without Biology?

My ideal choice would have been Engineering however I really hate Further Maths. Could I still get into Engineering with just an AS Maths? and also alternatively could I get into Medicine without Biology?
Medicine without Biology A2 is going to restrict your choices quite severly.
Engineering- I don't know much about it but if you want to stand a good chance agasint other passionate potential engineer students, then you need to take FM and A2 maths. Well, my mate is
Reply 2
Original post by This Honest

Original post by This Honest
Medicine without Biology A2 is going to restrict your choices quite severly.
Engineering- I don't know much about it but if you want to stand a good chance agasint other passionate potential engineer students, then you need to take FM and A2 maths. Well, my mate is

Thanks, I'm not doing Biology at all btw, does that restrict my chances?
Reply 3
I think many Engineering courses require you to do A-level maths I'm afraid.
Original post by Royale
My ideal choice would have been Engineering however I really hate Further Maths. Could I still get into Engineering with just an AS Maths? and also alternatively could I get into Medicine without Biology?

Hi :smile: I applied for medicine without A2 (am doing AS alongside my other A2 subjects) and although my choices were limited, there are still quite a few medical schools that allow you to apply with AS Biology if you are able to do it (when I last checked about half of the medical schools, give or take, only asked for AS Bio). Feel free to PM me if you need any more info :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mr tim

Original post by mr tim
I think many Engineering courses require you to do A-level maths I'm afraid.

I'm already doing A-Level Maths.
Original post by Royale

Further math is a waste of time...
Reply 7
Original post by Royale

If you plan on doing an engineering related degree most courses require at-least single mathematics to A level, I havent seen a respectable uni which dosent ask for maths to A level, further maths is usually optional / desirable but not required for most courses.
Reply 8
Original post by Royale

then as long as you get the req. grade for the A-level maths + other subjects then yes.

You could learn FM, but it'll just make it easier for when you do it, or you'll learn it next year if you do the engineering course.
Reply 9
I think you'd struggle greatly to egt into medicine or engineering without A2 biology, maths and further maths (although FM isn't necessary for medicine and bio isn't necessary for engineering.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending