The Student Room Group

AQA A Physics Unit 4 24th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legendary

Anyone got questions for the last two chapters? (Besides the ones in the book)

Have you done the old spec papers, I remember they're being quite a few for the last two chapters?
Reply 41
Original post by areebmazhar
Have you done the old spec papers, I remember they're being quite a few for the last two chapters?

Aren't they only multiple choice ones and calculation ones on the old spec papers? Haven't looked at them in properly yet though.

Aren't they only multiple choice ones and calculation ones on the old spec papers? Haven't looked at them in properly yet though.

Yeah, still good practice though
Reply 43
If there was a 6mark question on gravitational and electric fields, what do think it would be about.
Original post by albus

Original post by albus
If there was a 6mark question on gravitational and electric fields, what do think it would be about.

Compare and contrast gravitational and electric fields?
Reply 45
Original post by schenker
Link please, I can't find it :colondollar:

Hey!

Here's the link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1527844

:biggrin:

Also, does anyone have the June 2011 Unit 4 Paper please?? :smile: Thank you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Need help with this question - a current of 8A is passed through a conductor of length 0.4m and cross-sec. area of 1x10-6m^2. The conductor contains 8x10^28 free electrons per m^3. When the conductor is at right angles to a magnetic field of flux density 0.2T, it experiences a magnetic force. What is the average magnetic force acting on one of the free electrons?
Original post by don'tTRIP.
Need help with this question - a current of 8A is passed through a conductor of length 0.4m and cross-sec. area of 1x10-6m^2. The conductor contains 8x10^28 free electrons per m^3. When the conductor is at right angles to a magnetic field of flux density 0.2T, it experiences a magnetic force. What is the average magnetic force acting on one of the free electrons?

You know F = BIL

and you got the three variables. Then, you could find the number of electrons in the wire (hint, you have the dimensions of the wire) and divide your first answer by this.

I'm taking this as well... Need at least A in Physics or Chemistry for my Oxford and LSE offer... Probably slightly less pressure than this time last year...
Reply 48
Original post by don'tTRIP.

I've tried to work it out, but I'm not sure if I've done it correctly. Do you have a mark scheme?

Unparseable latex formula:

F=BIl\\[br]F=0.2T*8A*0.4m[br]F=0.64N\\[br][br]Number of electrons = electrons per m^{3}*V[br]V=0.4m*1*10^{-6}m^2[br]=4*10^{-7}m^{3}[br]8*10^{28}*4*10^{-7}=3.2*10^{22} electrons\\[br][br]Force/electrons=0.64/3.2*10^{22}[br]=2*10^{-23}N per electron

Original post by nexl
I've tried to work it out, but I'm not sure if I've done it correctly. Do you have a mark scheme?

Unparseable latex formula:

F=BIl\\[br]F=0.2T*8A*0.4m[br]F=0.64N\\[br][br]Number of electrons = electrons per m^{3}*V[br]V=0.4m*1*10^{-6}m^2[br]=4*10^{-7}m^{3}[br]8*10^{28}*4*10^{-7}=3.2*10^{22} electrons\\[br][br]Force/electrons=0.64/3.2*10^{22}[br]=2*10^{-23}N per electron

I believe that's right. :smile:
Reply 50
i need help on question 2 january 10 section a please thank you.
Reply 51
Original post by smoky188
i need help on question 2 january 10 section a please thank you.

It's pretty difficult isn't it, I need help on that as well.
Reply 52
Has anyone got any transformer questions from the old spec.
Original post by albus

Original post by albus
Has anyone got any transformer questions from the old spec.

No because they only came into the spec a year or two ago I think
Reply 54
Original post by albus
It's pretty difficult isn't it, I need help on that as well.

If it's this one:
Water of density 1000kgm^(-3) flows out of a garden hose of cross-sectional area 7.2*10^(-4)m^(2) at a rate of 2.0*10^(-4)m^(3) per second. How much momentum is carried by the water leaving the hose per second?

Then I was looking for this too and found it on TSR.

As it's asking for momentum, we can use the equation p=mv, we want to find p, so we must work out m and v.

To find m, we do density*volume, so 1000kgm^(-3)*2.0*10^(-4)m^(3) which gives us 0.2kg because the m^(-3) and m^(3) when multiplied cancel out.

Then to find v, we do volume/area, so 2.0*10^(-4)m^(3)s^(-1) / 7.2*10^(-4)m^(2) which gives us 5/18ms^(-1) because m^(3)/m^(2) = m.

Multiply m and v, so (5/18)*0.2= (1/18) which can be written as 5.6*10^(-2) and the units we get are kgms^(-1) which can be written as Ns.

So we find the answer is B which the mark scheme agrees with.
Reply 55
Original post by justravi
If it's this one:
Water of density 1000kgm^(-3) flows out of a garden hose of cross-sectional area 7.2*10^(-4)m^(2) at a rate of 2.0*10^(-4)m^(3) per second. How much momentum is carried by the water leaving the hose per second?

Then I was looking for this too and found it on TSR.

As it's asking for momentum, we can use the equation p=mv, we want to find p, so we must work out m and v.

To find m, we do density*volume, so 1000kgm^(-3)*2.0*10^(-4)m^(3) which gives us 0.2kg because the m^(-3) and m^(3) when multiplied cancel out.

Then to find v, we do volume/area, so 2.0*10^(-4)m^(3)s^(-1) / 7.2*10^(-4)m^(2) which gives us 5/18ms^(-1) because m^(3)/m^(2) = m.

Multiply m and v, so (5/18)*0.2= (1/18) which can be written as 5.6*10^(-2) and the units we get are kgms^(-1) which can be written as Ns.

So we find the answer is B which the mark scheme agrees with.

thanks for this but can you please tell me how volume/area = v ? thanks
Reply 56
can someone explain to me how you get these 2 equations as i have seen them as solutions on past papers

0.5mv^2=GMm/r and delta V = GM(1/R - 1/r)

Reply 57
Original post by kimmey
can someone explain to me how you get these 2 equations as i have seen them as solutions on past papers

0.5mv^2=GMm/r and delta V = GM(1/R - 1/r)

The first is to do with escape velocity and the second is just the gravitational potential difference between two points in space (Normally equipotentials).

For the former point, remember that the gravitational potential can be thought of as the energy required to pull a unit mass completely out of a gravitational field. But this energy could all stem from kinetic energy. So, in short, we equate the equation for kinetic energy with the equation for gravitational potential energy (Radial fields). Rearranging this yields the escape velocity (i.e. how fast a mass has to move so that it never comes back down).

With regards to potential difference, just imagine two equipotential lines one at a distance RR from the centre of the earth and another at a distance rr from the centre of the earth (Where R>rR > r); ΔV=GMRGMr\Delta V = \dfrac{GM}{R} - \dfrac{GM}{r}. So taking factors...

ΔV=GM(1R1r)\Delta V = GM(\dfrac{1}{R} - \dfrac{1}{r})
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Also I was wondering - can anyone enlighten me on question 14?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA4-1-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Don't understand why the answer is (a) as I put (b)...
Reply 59
Original post by Femto
Also I was wondering - can anyone enlighten me on question 14?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA4-1-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

Don't understand why the answer is (a) as I put (b)...

thanks

i can help you with question 14.

use trigonometry to work out the length of Q from the centre.
this is sin45 x 2a = root2a

notice that there is a -Q so this will cancel with one of the +Q (as electric potential is a scalar)

so overall you are left with 2Q/4piepsilon0 x root2a

thus giving you Q/2piepsilon x root2a

so the answer is A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending