Glad to be here!!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Roshen
hello everyone! I'll start in October '06 with the course DD100 :smile:
Glad to be here!!

Hey Roshen, I'm just coming to the end of DD100 - great course :smile:
girl afraid, hey you are off strangeways arnt you? SWEETANDTENDERHOOLIGHAN (WITHOUT THE DASHES!) here saying hi!
Reply 23
mancsmithsfan
girl afraid, hey you are off strangeways arnt you? SWEETANDTENDERHOOLIGHAN (WITHOUT THE DASHES!) here saying hi!

Erm.. Hi! How random...

No, I'm not 'off Strangeways', but I am on Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs. :wink:
Reply 24
Roshen
hello everyone! I'll start in October '06 with the course DD100 :smile:
Glad to be here!!

I may be joining you, though I was supposed to have completed that course already. *groans at self*
girl afraid
Erm.. Hi! How random...

No, I'm not 'off Strangeways', but I am on Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs. :wink:

Yeah, twas random, I was being a bit vague I guess .. its a Smiths forum ands theres a GIRL AFRAID on there. Where abouts in Manchester? Im from the southern 'burbs (Chorlton).
Reply 26
mancsmithsfan
Yeah, twas random, I was being a bit vague I guess .. its a Smiths forum ands theres a GIRL AFRAID on there. Where abouts in Manchester? Im from the southern 'burbs (Chorlton).

Nah, I'm not on any Smith's forum. I live in east Manchester, near Ashton-under-Lyne.
Reply 27
Hi glad I found this - I start in September, I'm doing K100 Understanding Health and Social Care.
I'm doing K100 too.
Reply 29
just chirping in..............
juggling with my options with the OU
i completed OU S102 science foundation course 14 (!) years ago and then my life went off on a tangent...............
undecided whether to do a preparatory science/maths (eg S151) course or dive into S103 as i imagine science has developed quite a bit during the last
decade or so. (BTW would i be allowed to study S103 which replaced S102?)
i am primarily interested in physics/cosmology any advice out there? would S151 be a sufficient basis for second level physics etc? or should i do a maths foundation first?
anyone help?

Good Luck

BV
Due to an enforced absence from work - I'm starting a Humanities / Philosophy degree in November and looking forward to it - it'll be a change from my Engineering background... I think therefore I'm spam....

Good to see an on-line community - If any university should have one it must be the OU!

By the way I have employed many people for high tech/ high profile jobs over the years - an OU degree rates very highly - most modern businesses believe that universities dont teach you the 'what' - its the 'how' to learn that counts - anyone who has an OU degree scores very highly as it shows they are self starting and capable of finishing a difficult path with only themselves to drive them --a BIG ++++
MuttleyTheGrouch
By the way I have employed many people for high tech/ high profile jobs over the years - an OU degree rates very highly - most modern businesses believe that universities dont teach you the 'what' - its the 'how' to learn that counts - anyone who has an OU degree scores very highly as it shows they are self starting and capable of finishing a difficult path with only themselves to drive them --a BIG ++++

Very glad to hear that. :smile: I'm not an OU student, but I'm considering possibly taking some OU qualifications in the future if my current degree doesn't lead to the kind of career I'd like. Oh, and my mother's an OU student as well. :biggrin:
Reply 32
bonavada

i completed OU S102 science foundation course 14 (!) years ago and then my life went off on a tangent...............
undecided whether to do a preparatory science/maths (eg S151) course or dive into S103 as i imagine science has developed quite a bit during the last
decade or so. (BTW would i be allowed to study S103 which replaced S102?)
i am primarily interested in physics/cosmology any advice out there? would S151 be a sufficient basis for second level physics etc? or should i do a maths foundation first?
anyone help?

Good Luck

BV

I'm pretty sure that if you did S103 you would find it covered quite a bit of the same ground as S102 and that only one of them would count towards your degree (as most science degree programmes say you must have "Discovering science (S103) 60 or one of the discontinued courses S100, S101, S102"). The extremely useful: http://www.open.ac.uk/science/learn/pdfversions.htm is the place to go to find out whether you are ready to study a particular science course, you may surprise yourself!

Also I recommend you ring up your regional office and ask to speak to a learning advisor. They are exactly the people to talk you through the various options and offer advice.

All the best!
Reply 33
rufusfrog...........

thanks for the reply..i think i'll go for the mathematics first. might as well dive in the deep end

:-]

hey good luck to you too.

BV
Reply 34
Yeah... Count me in!

Beginning AZX103 in Feb,

:wink:
Reply 35
Yeah me to

I have studied with the OU since 1999, now doing S103.

Latest