The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Correct but I would say:

No tengo ganas de jugar al fútbol ya que podría lesionarme.

o bien;

No tengo ganas de jugar el fútbol ya que podría hacerme daño.
Original post by Bobjim12
When using no tengo ganas for i don't want to. Is there something between it and the next part?

POR EJEMPLO:

No tengo ganas jugar al fútbol ya que podría romper mi cuerpo.

Correct??

You need the "de" before jugar. Also, it sounds very strange to say "romper mi cuerpo". It would be much better to say "lesionarme" or "hacerme daño":

'No tengo ganas de jugar al fútbol ya que podría lesionarme/hacerme daño'
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You need the "de" before jugar. Also, it sounds very strange to say "romper mi cuerpo". It would be much better to say "lesionarme" or "hacerme daño":

'No tengo ganas de jugar al fútbol ya que podría lesionarme/hacerme daño'

Yeah tbh, i didn't want to specify a particular body part.. Thanks
Yeah, embarrassed to say but I'm struggling with Spanish to the point I think it'd be better if I just gave up. My nouns are weak and my verbs are atrocious.I've been learning for quite some time (on/off for a few years) and I know a sparse amount and can't understand when listening at all. I listened to a football game commentary and could only make out two words.Whenever I learn something it stays for a few days then either disappears or is over-written by something else I learn. Right now I'm between giving up because it's easier and I'm wasting more time, and niavely carrying on because I don't want all the time and effort from past years to come to nothing.Ayudar :frown: ?
Hey guys! I'm an A Level student who has recently entered an LDR with a Dominican guy - they speak Spanish. (irrelevant, i know) Anyway, as a nice touch I thought i would start learning Spanish, not just for him but for experience too, as our family frequently go on holiday to Spanish speaking islands.
So my question is, I know basically no Spanish (apart from the obvious hello, goodbye, first 10 numbers etc) so where should I start? Are there any good websites or books for complete novices like myself? I do have a lot of experience learning languages, as I am fluent in Russian and have A* GCSE level French and German btw.
Thank youuu!
Original post by marinajelly
Hey guys! I'm an A Level student who has recently entered an LDR with a Dominican guy - they speak Spanish. (irrelevant, i know) Anyway, as a nice touch I thought i would start learning Spanish, not just for him but for experience too, as our family frequently go on holiday to Spanish speaking islands.
So my question is, I know basically no Spanish (apart from the obvious hello, goodbye, first 10 numbers etc) so where should I start? Are there any good websites or books for complete novices like myself? I do have a lot of experience learning languages, as I am fluent in Russian and have A* GCSE level French and German btw.
Thank youuu!

You can't learn Spanish from a book or a website, but there's a site called Espanol extra which is quite good, might get you up to a very basic level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SoggyTractor
You can't learn Spanish from a book or a website, but there's a site called Espanol extra which is quite good, might get you up to a very basic level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't agree with that, you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If not from a book or website, then how do you suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If not from a book or website, then how do you suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, attend Spanish classes/get a tutor/go to the country. It's very unlikely that a website will give you the motivation/depth of learning to go very far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, attend Spanish classes/get a tutor/go to the country. It's very unlikely that a website will give you the motivation/depth of learning to go very far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have teachers or tutors, I've never been to Spain. I think I can learn Spanish from the internet and books, just speaking to people on TSR can be enough if it is consistent and they correct your mistakes.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't have teachers or tutors, I've never been to Spain. I think I can learn Spanish from the internet and books, just speaking to people on TSR can be enough if it is consistent and they correct your mistakes.

Are you using any audio resources????

Yeah same, the Dominican guy that I talk to can correct me, plus because we both text and talk on the phone he can help with spelling and pronunciation

You should use vocaroo or something to practice pronunciation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Motivation doesn't come from tutors or classes, if you want to learn a language enough, you'll put the effort into learning all the grammar and vocab you need.

All of those things also, crucially, cost money. What websites often lack is the pronunciation side and actually speaking, but finding a friend to talk with (online, can voice call with Skype, etc.) is much cheaper and easier than signing up to some classes that might be no good.
I'd say a good way to try and improve pronunciation would be to try and find a local Spanish restaurant or tapas bar because even if not all the staff are Spanish it is pretty common for the manager or something to speak the language and you have a conversation with them and eat Spanish food. Win win.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah same, the Dominican guy that I talk to can correct me, plus because we both text and talk on the phone he can help with spelling and pronunciation

Yeah exactly :redface:
Original post by desdemonata
You should use vocaroo or something to practice pronunciation :smile:

Shall I record something to see if my pronunciation is okay? I keep putting Spanish off tbh
Yeah exactly :redface:

Shall I record something to see if my pronunciation is okay? I keep putting Spanish off tbh

Sure, the best thing to do is listen to yourself (they make us do that sometimes at uni :getmecoat:). It's cringey and embarrassing, but you're your own best critic :wink:
Original post by desdemonata
Motivation doesn't come from tutors or classes, if you want to learn a language enough, you'll put the effort into learning all the grammar and vocab you need.

All of those things also, crucially, cost money. What websites often lack is the pronunciation side and actually speaking, but finding a friend to talk with (online, can voice call with Skype, etc.) is much cheaper and easier than signing up to some classes that might be no good.

Motivation certainly comes from tutors or classes. You're much more likely to stick to someone if you've got someone *in real life* expecting you to, and if you're paying money for it. Not everyone has the self-motivation they claim to have.

Skype calls can be irregular or might lack audio quality. By 'depth of learning' I meant the speaking aspect and I believe classes are good for this and don't always cost, but going to the country is obviously far better.
Hola.

I have been learning Spanish for a while, and recently visited Barcelona. I was surprised at how much Spanish I knew which gave me a lot of confidence. The only thing holding me back is my listening skill. I could understand the signs around the city, and had to think about what I was going to say before speaking, but I found it difficult to understand people in shops and cafes etc. I was able to pick up a few words, and as the trip went on I was gradually able to understand more and more (perhaps just because I was getting used to the accent), but now that I'm back in the UK I would like to improve my listening.

So far I have been watching Spanish films and listening to Spanish music. Could anyone recommend me any spanish films? I've found a few lists of films online, but they don't all seem to be available to buy on iTunes. I was also thinking about buying a TV series like Friends with Spanish subtitles, but again the one being sold on iTunes only has English subtitles.
The DVD set on Amazon includes Spanish subtitles though, so I am thinking of buying that.

I also found a Spanish TV series called Violetta, but it has been dubbed in English which doesn't help.

Any suggestions would be great. :smile:
Does anyone know of the 'WERT' educational reform in Spain? A million petitions have been collected in opposition to it, so it must be controversial. I can't find much information about it, can anyone provide a simple summary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending