The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

How do we form the passive, like:

The thread has been revived.

Is it.

El hilo ha estado resucitado.

Like in French?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well of course, another factor is the level of the language that one already has, a very good speaker will naturally be able to adapt pretty quickly. But I'm not sure that if a beginner were to go that they be able to speak like a native after only one year....

At my level do you think something like a month completely living in the language, like staying with Spanish, working in a Spanish establishment therefore having to deal with Spaniards and having Spanish friends etc. would significantly aid me? Or does it have to be more like 6 months to get any real, noticeable benefits? Just asking for your opinion here, so don't worry about having stuff to back it up with :smile:
Original post by childofthesun
Has anyone here used duolingo? If so, how good would you say it is?

I started using it for Portuguese but I didn't really find it useful. I then used it for Spanish (which I already knew to a decent level) to see whether or not it's useful. It's good for odd bits of vocab but in terms of learning grammar it's pretty much useless, in my opinion.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Pretty good. Can kinda understand French at a basic level.

Btw was meaning to ask, Is the French spoken in Francophone west Africa a bit different to standard French?

Kindaaa. There are some words in the French spoken in WA that aren't in normal French,and the pronunciation can be different. We have our own slang aswell
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Is it.

Like in French?

Hahah, great there's more activity here! You can either use ser + past participle (so it would be ha sido resucitado) or sometimes you can use the reflexive pronoun (i.e. se venden caramelos en la tienda - sweets are sold in the shop). More often than not, however, Spanish avoids using the passive and instead uses the active.
Original post by missfats
How did you learn spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My grandmother is Mexican so she taught me, and I lived in Spain for a while. But when I learn other languages I do a different method from most.

For example, Russian.

I spend about a month listening to Russian music and radio. I never intentionally learnt anything, but it paid off majorly as my pronunciation has never been a problem and my Russian friend compliments on it. You will with music in particular you really get the sounds easily.

Then I use a phrasebook and learn my first few phrases. I strongly recommend you use Lonely Planet's books and each time you learn a phrase, make an Anki flashcard with a picture as it will improve your learning significantly. Then go around and start using these phrases in everyday life.

I would use something like duolingo (for Spanish especially) to reinforce vocabulary and firm up your grammar. The more things you use, the better.

From then on, you're basically on your own to do what you want. Learn a topic of your choice (e.g politics), write a paragraph or so about the topic using the language, get it checked by a speaker. Talk to yourself in the language often. Start reading native material, like kids books and news sites. YouTube is pretty cool too.

When you're confident enough and know a fair amount of vocabulary, start talking and writing to others in the language.

Trying to learn a language by doing the GCSE and then A Level is rather ineffective in my opinion. I managed to get an A* in GCSE German within the space of 7 months, but I still cannot speak German well. You barely learn anything and it's simply a memory and common sense test. It's rather costly too when you factor in exams (cost me £90). Meanwhile, my Russian has excelled despite the fact I only spent £7 on a phrasebook.

If you make your learning efficient (not necessarily time-consuming) you can be fluent within a year or so.

Is it.

Like in French?

"Este hilo se ha resucitado"
Original post by DomStaff
At my level do you think something like a month completely living in the language, like staying with Spanish, working in a Spanish establishment therefore having to deal with Spaniards and having Spanish friends etc. would significantly aid me? Or does it have to be more like 6 months to get any real, noticeable benefits? Just asking for your opinion here, so don't worry about having stuff to back it up with :smile:

I think with your level a month would definitely bring noticeable benefits. Six months will bring even more though :tongue:
Original post by alexgr97
Hahah, great there's more activity here! You can either use ser + past participle (so it would be ha sido resucitado) or sometimes you can use the reflexive pronoun (i.e. se venden caramelos en la tienda - sweets are sold in the shop). More often than not, however, Spanish avoids using the passive and instead uses the active.

The reflexive way looks confusing

So it's se + present conjugation? + noun...

"Este hilo se ha resucitado"

It is :tongue: If in doubt, use the active.

Not necessarily, use the conjugation of the tense that you would use in the active. i.e. the work was done (use se + past tense), the work will be done (use se + future tense). You'd never really say that in Spanish - you'd say he hecho los deberes instead of se hicierion los deberes but you get the drift.

"Ha resucitado" isn't the present, it's the past participle :smile:

Not necessarily, use the conjugation of the tense that you would use in the active. i.e. the work was done (use se + past tense), the work will be done (use se + future tense). You'd never really say that in Spanish - you'd say he hecho los deberes instead of se hicierion los deberes but you get the drift.

The book was read by me

El libro ha sido leído para mi
O
El libro se ha leído para mi

In that context you wouldn't be able to use the passive as it means that the homework did itself!
The book was read by me

El libro ha sido leído para mi
O
El libro se ha leído para mi

El libro ha sido leido POR mi, but this structure in this context is never used in Spanish, it sounds odd
In that context you wouldn't be able to use the passive as it means that the homework did itself!

Yeah, that's why I said you would use the active. But my mind went blank, I couldn't think of another example in English :tongue: Thanks!
Original post by childofthesun
Kindaaa. There are some words in the French spoken in WA that aren't in normal French,and the pronunciation can be different. We have our own slang aswell

Ohhh. Is the slang the French equivalent of pidgin English? :lol:
El libro ha sido leido POR mi, but this structure in this context is never used in Spanish, it sounds odd

que en realidad diría 'leía el libro' pero necesité un ejemplo :tongue:

Ah por es la palabra que significa 'par'

Para = pour quelqu'un

Veo
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Ohhh. Is the slang the French equivalent of pidgin English? :lol:

Lmaoo i no sabiii

I think a good example is what you see all the time in Spain:

Se vende la casa - 'house for sale/being sold'.

Or

Cómo se usa el idioma - how the language is used
I think with your level a month would definitely bring noticeable benefits. Six months will bring even more though :tongue:

Looking on the internet, I'm struggling to find any work experience I could do :frown: hahahah not good given the Spanish economy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending