The Student Room Group

Guys I need Info on AS Medicine Please... :/

Basically I have my AS modules in Jan, and I think I may not do as well as I would like; maybe get like ABBC, then I would have to retake in June, would universities find out that I have retaken? especially for Medicine? and do they care if I have? And will it leave me at a disadvantage compared to someone who got all A's first time around?

Thanks for your responses ! :smile:
P.S Happy New Year, lets hope we dont fail
Reply 1
I got ABBB at AS and resat like all my modules, only oxbridge and maybe birmingham really care about AS resits. As long as you meet the minimum AS grades you'll be fine
Reply 2
Original post by MrDoctor
Basically I have my AS modules in Jan, and I think I may not do as well as I would like; maybe get like ABBC, then I would have to retake in June, would universities find out that I have retaken? especially for Medicine? and do they care if I have? And will it leave me at a disadvantage compared to someone who got all A's first time around?

Generally, universities don't mind about resits (even for Medicine), however, some do. You may need to contact the university to check for sure.

Oxford and Cambridge are among the universities who will, alongside UCL for example. Most of the time however, the university only opposes resitting A2 modules, so if you are resitting AS modules (even in your A2 year), they won't mind.
To be sure, you should contact the university, but that's what it was like for me when I did my AS/A2's 1/2 years ago.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
Back in my day all they cared about were your A2 predictions. I knew people who had all Bs for AS but sucked up to their teachers and got them to predict As. This was for 09 entry. I really need to keep abreast with current medschool admission requirements :s-smilie:
Reply 4

Universities will find out about any modules that you have retaken. Certain universities will not allow module resits but most will let it slide unless you have retaken these modules over a 2+ year period. It depends on what you have achieved at AS level, subject-wise. Most medical schools will require you to have an A in Chemistry. Getting a C at AS may put you at a disadvantage then. However, if you achieved an A at AS chemistry and a C in History, or something, that should not leave you at a disadvantage.

Work hard and hope for the best? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Isometrix
Back in my day all they cared about were your A2 predictions. I knew people who had all Bs for AS but sucked up to their teachers and got them to predict As. This was for 09 entry. I really need to keep abreast with current medschool admission requirements :s-smilie:

This happened to me (2011 entry), but the predictions were actually realistic as I had As in the exams just screwed up the practicals big time. Just goes to show not having the best AS results isn't the end of the world.
Reply 6
Original post by Vulpes
Universities will find out about any modules that you have retaken. Certain universities will not allow module resits but most will let it slide unless you have retaken these modules over a 2+ year period. It depends on what you have achieved at AS level, subject-wise. Most medical schools will require you to have an A in Chemistry. Getting a C at AS may put you at a disadvantage then. However, if you achieved an A at AS chemistry and a C in History, or something, that should not leave you at a disadvantage.

Work hard and hope for the best? :h:

how comes? a few people told me they cant see ur AS grades, and cant see any retakes? I'm confused :s-smilie:
Reply 7
how comes? a few people told me they cant see ur AS grades, and cant see any retakes? I'm confused :s-smilie:

This was newly introduced to the 2012 Entry application cycle. There is a thread somewhere on TSR linking to the official UCAS site stating that all grades have to be declared.
Reply 8
Original post by Vulpes
This was newly introduced to the 2012 Entry application cycle. There is a thread somewhere on TSR linking to the official UCAS site stating that all grades have to be declared.

oh ok, if you could link that to me that would be very helpful :smile:
Reply 9

There is something called "Search"...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719
no university gives a crap about retakes providing they're within the 2 year period
Reply 11
Original post by Helloworld_95
no university gives a crap about retakes providing they're within the 2 year period

how comes? vulpes is saying different?

and can universities find out if you have retaken?
Reply 12
how comes? vulpes is saying different?

and can universities find out if you have retaken?

Taken from the UCL entry requirements Students who need to resit exams in Years 12 and 13 in order to achieve the required grades may struggle
subsequently on our programme. We would suggest that candidates who need to resit examinations in order to achieve the required grades may not be well prepared for our programme.
So UCL aren't fans of resitting a level modules even in AS. I'm not too sure how they check but you probably would have to list your first attempt module marks for them or something :s

Original post by Vulpes
There is something called "Search"...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

That is if you're resitting something that's already been attained. Resitting modules in June means that your January modules will NOT be shown on UCAS. The only time UCAS will know is if you're planning on resitting a module you did in Year 12 in Year 13. As then you will have to enter your current grade, as well as entering it again as 'pending' to show that it is looking to be improved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending