The Student Room Group

Judge gives Bangladeshi student persission to stay in the UK because he loves cricket

How awesome is this? I'm so glad for this young man that he's been allowed to stay in the country. What a great way to start off the year it is for him eh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080977/Foreign-student-allowed-remain-UK--telling-judge-love-cricket-demonstrates-loyalty-Britain.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Mr Munawar now hopes to get a job with an accountancy firm "

The guy is qualified and wants to work here. Surely these are the kind of people we want in the UK anyway?
"after imam lined up a potential bride" lol what do you expect from a scum paper.

The ruling is bizarre and I'd want to read more about this than rely on the Daily Mail for facts. I'd imagine him being a potential professional accountant had something to do with it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Dumb arse OP falling for the Daily Mail.

Read a more detailed article in the telegraph and found this...

Mr Munawar, who lives in Limehouse, east London, told the Upper Tribunal of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber he should be granted a new visa because he had partially completed his training and had established a social life in Britain.

Judge Susan V Pitt said that Mr Munawar had shown he played cricket at weekends, attends mosque regularly and has “formed friendships with fellow students and work colleagues”.

The judge ruled the Home Office’s refusal of a visa “amounted to a disproportionate interference with private life that deserved respect”.
She did not find that he had established the stronger category of “family life” with his aunt and cousins who also live in London, but ruled that “private life” was enough to win his appeal.

So it's clearly more than "because he loves cricket".
Reply 4
Original post by Cesar Lecat

Thanks for the that. Never trust a Mail headline.
Reply 5
Daily Mail is very reliable :yep:
Original post by Organ
Thanks for the that. Never trust a Mail headline.

Especially when it has a hell of a spelling mistake.
Reply 7
Original post by Cesar Lecat

The daily mail sensationalise news. Nothing new unfortunately.
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
"Mr Munawar now hopes to get a job with an accountancy firm "

The guy is qualified and wants to work here. Surely these are the kind of people we want in the UK anyway?

Not when there's 2.5m unemployed.
Reply 9
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Especially when it has a hell of a spelling mistake.

lmao, "persission" I didn't notice that.
"Judge gives Bangladeshi student persission"
Well done, DailyFail :facepalm:
And what is your problem with that?
Reply 12
Original post by Fusion
Not when there's 2.5m unemployed.

How many are trained fresh out of university accountants though? Just because there is a lot of unemployment does not mean the unemployed have the right skills
Reply 13
Original post by Aj12
How many are trained fresh out of university accountants though? Just because there is a lot of unemployment does not mean the unemployed have the right skills

There shouldn't even be a question about retaining people like that. There should be a residency card attached to every degree that an international student gets in the UK that we need - such as engineers and so on.
Reply 14
Take Dail Mail seriously = Proon.

honestly
As long as he's not a serial killer.
Reply 16
Original post by Aj12

Probably quite a lot to be fair
Original post by bengalisoldier
And what is your problem with that?

I love cricket too. Cricket is great let's all party.

I wish Sting was in the WWE. I dream of a sting v undertaker match.
I knew this was gonna involve the daily fail just by the title
lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending