The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Felchingman
MATH 141 really? Even though I have exemptions from that course, as I'm doing a French Baccalaureate, I haven't gone through some stuff in the course (series, hyperbolic functions, hardcore integration). It'd be kind of a shame to take this course knowing I can't get any credits.

Yes exactly our dilemma. I think they expect to be able to pick up things faster with the amount of calculus we have done but still. Although, I am not sure if we get exempt with A Levels. I am still going to take it anyway.
Original post by Yash13
Yes exactly our dilemma. I think they expect to be able to pick up things faster with the amount of calculus we have done but still. Although, I am not sure if we get exempt with A Levels. I am still going to take it anyway.

It's not like you need any kind of hardcore calculus to do an honours in econ, but I intended on taking Calculus 3 and right onw it looks quite scary to me.
Reply 522
It's not like you need any kind of hardcore calculus to do an honours in econ, but I intended on taking Calculus 3 and right onw it looks quite scary to me.

Skip it if you get a chance. The reviews for Calc 2 arn't very good, many say the prof is bad and the tests are impossible. I duno how much the french bac covers but with A Level Math I cant answer much in that paper ( checked a sample final 141 paper ). Also its a 4 credit course which is going to drain soo much time.
Reply 523
Hey, I got an offer from uoft and they said to maintain my grades. I've read elsewhere that people don't know what this means but there have been people who have gotten lower than their predicted grades. Would it be possible to still get accepted to Uoft if each of your A-levels went down by one grade? e.g. BBB to CCC. As I got BBB as my predicted but my last few papers went so badly I'm not sure that I'll be able to maintain. I'm pretty sure that I will drop a grade in each subject.
Reply 524
Original post by babs12345
Hey, I got an offer from uoft and they said to maintain my grades. I've read elsewhere that people don't know what this means but there have been people who have gotten lower than their predicted grades. Would it be possible to still get accepted to Uoft if each of your A-levels went down by one grade? e.g. BBB to CCC. As I got BBB as my predicted but my last few papers went so badly I'm not sure that I'll be able to maintain. I'm pretty sure that I will drop a grade in each subject.

First of all, it is impossible for you to be sure that you will drop grades unless you have access to official mark schemes. :smile:

McGill gives a similar offer and I think U of T is less/about as stringent about these things so you can drop grades quite a bit unless it is a very competitive course but still I have read on forums that there are dramatic drops and people still keep their offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 525
Original post by Yash13
First of all, it is impossible for you to be sure that you will drop grades unless you have access to official mark schemes. :smile:

McGill gives a similar offer and I think U of T is less/about as stringent about these things so you can drop grades quite a bit unless it is a very competitive course but still I have read on forums that there are dramatic drops and people still keep their offer.

I don't think it is that competitive (the course) but I am pretty sure because my teachers have told me my coursework mark which are not looking so good. I am most certainly going to drop at least one course but I might be on the border line for the other two. I just want to know if the worse case scenario will still let me attend Uoft. I have another offer from another university but I would like to attend Uoft as I will get transfer credits. Can you give me some keywords or train of thoughts you used in order to find those people who dropped their grades by a lot as I will try and search for them. Thanks in advance !
Reply 526
I don't think it is that competitive (the course) but I am pretty sure because my teachers have told me my coursework mark which are not looking so good. I am most certainly going to drop at least one course but I might be on the border line for the other two. I just want to know if the worse case scenario will still let me attend Uoft. I have another offer from another university but I would like to attend Uoft as I will get transfer credits. Can you give me some keywords or train of thoughts you used in order to find those people who dropped their grades by a lot as I will try and search for them. Thanks in advance !

They have a very low cutoff as far as I am aware. As long as you don't fail you should be fine so stop getting worried. Read this: http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst9202_McGill-Offer-remains-valid-provided-you-maintain-your-current-level-of-academic-achievement.aspx

If you are international it is very unlikely they will reject you for a few grades lower than expected as they need your fees although it depends who is on the waitinglist. I believe even domestic students drop from 90 to 80 or even more and maintain their offer but for U of T I think it is lower according to the forum.

Now go and enjoy your summer ! :P
Reply 527
Original post by Yash13
They have a very low cutoff as far as I am aware. As long as you don't fail you should be fine so stop getting worried. Read this: http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst9202_McGill-Offer-remains-valid-provided-you-maintain-your-current-level-of-academic-achievement.aspx

If you are international it is very unlikely they will reject you for a few grades lower than expected as they need your fees although it depends who is on the waitinglist. I believe even domestic students drop from 90 to 80 or even more and maintain their offer but for U of T I think it is lower according to the forum.

Now go and enjoy your summer ! :P

Thanks for the link, it gives me hope. I will call Uoft on Monday and ask them straight if they will keep with CCC. If not I will take up my other offers but if they say yes then I'll accept theirs.
Reply 528
Thanks for the link, it gives me hope. I will call Uoft on Monday and ask them straight if they will keep with CCC. If not I will take up my other offers but if they say yes then I'll accept theirs.

I would suggest you don't call them as they will not tell you, "yeah it is fine if you get CCC" as no university would. I would avoid drawing attention to your grades, why are you so worried did you do that badly? If you drop 3 grades in each subject then I would say you have a problem, two in each might be pushing it but you said you will drop one grade. Just relax man. What offers do you have out of interest and is this for UTSG, UTM or UTS?
Reply 529
MATH 141 really? Even though I have exemptions from that course, as I'm doing a French Baccalaureate, I haven't gone through some stuff in the course (series, hyperbolic functions, hardcore integration). It'd be kind of a shame to take this course knowing I can't get any credits.

I am a student and I took Math 141. It is a pretty basic calculus course. The series part is only an introduction(one question on the final usually, but worth 10 points :tongue:) and it is all seen again in calc 3. Hyperbolic functions are only mentioned. You just need to know the derivative of some of them and you are fine. The hardcore integration it is not so hardcore :tongue:. You need to know basic volume stuff, parametric and polar curves and you are fine too. As long as you understand the material and quizzes and do the past exams you will be fine. I got an A in this course and I thought the final was tough but fair. Also there is a HUGE curve on it, so as long as you are in the good part of it, you will have a pretty good grade. However, what is really hard are the quizzes, I got 100/23/98 all out of 100. Also, people do say that Drury is really bad. I had class with El-Hajj and I recommend her, but the exams were all made by Drury. Oh and my opinion is that you should skip this course as you have exemption. It is really not worth to do it and not to gain credit especially because it is a 4 credit course and this should be avoided at all cost unless when they are mandatory. However I should also warn you that calc 3 is hard but doable if you put the right amount of effort on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mast
I am a student and I took Math 141. It is a pretty basic calculus course. The series part is only an introduction(one question on the final usually, but worth 10 points :tongue:) and it is all seen again in calc 3. Hyperbolic functions are only mentioned. You just need to know the derivative of some of them and you are fine. The hardcore integration it is not so hardcore :tongue:. You need to know basic volume stuff, parametric and polar curves and you are fine too. As long as you understand the material and quizzes and do the past exams you will be fine. I got an A in this course and I thought the final was tough but fair. Also there is a HUGE curve on it, so as long as you are in the good part of it, you will have a pretty good grade. However, what is really hard are the quizzes, I got 100/23/98 all out of 100. Also, people do say that Drury is really bad. I had class with El-Hajj and I recommend her, but the exams were all made by Drury. Oh and my opinion is that you should skip this course as you have exemption. It is really not worth to do it and not to gain credit especially because it is a 4 credit course and this should be avoided at all cost unless when they are mandatory. However I should also warn you that calc 3 is hard but doable if you put the right amount of effort on it.

Would you recommend me taking calculus 3 for an Honours in Economics then, knowing that I will probably be quite new to many stuff in the course? I'm aiming for a high GPA, but I figured taking calc 3 would bring that down. But if I don't take it, I wonder if I'll struggle later in the Honours.

Dilemma. :colondollar:
Reply 531
Would you recommend me taking calculus 3 for an Honours in Economics then, knowing that I will probably be quite new to many stuff in the course? I'm aiming for a high GPA, but I figured taking calc 3 would bring that down. But if I don't take it, I wonder if I'll struggle later in the Honours.

Dilemma. :colondollar:

Well, I was thinking about taking the honours economics so I gather some information that maybe useful. Calc 3 is not mandatory but highly suggested for this programme. So, no economics course will have calc 3 as pre or corequisite. In theory, you don't need to know it so soon. As I said, the class is hard, as probably all math classes at McGill are, but doable. In the end it you will either love the teaching style of determined teacher and learn from that or you will learn all from the textbook(although if you take this course with Loveys there is no second option, you need to go to class because he does not use a textbook at all). You will begin with the introduction of series and vectorial calculus. From what I have heard, this course tests the concepts introduced on it and not integration from math 141. So, as long as you know basic stuff, I think you will be fine as they will at least mention what you will need to know for each subject. And I would not take Calc 3 this year, as Jonsson is teaching it now. He is famous, and this is deserved, for being one of the worst math teachers at McGill and in his class you will need to teach yourself from the book. Read some reviews about him and you will see.

Also, keep in mind that there is no admission to the Honours economics programme, so anyone can register. To deal with this problem, the intro to economic theory: honours course, a yearlong one, is designed to be harder and consequently a good amount of people fail after the first year and follow the normal economics stream so I would focus on it and stats and only take calc after. And I believe they will at least tell you what you need to know about calc in class.
Reply 532
Original post by Yash13
x

Hi, Just wondering but did you get any financial aid from McGill? Also was it merit based or need based? I'm not sure I understand the difference myself but their site lists things like bursarys are need based. Do they help everyone who cant fully afford to attend?
Reply 533
Original post by ZerofeX
Hi, Just wondering but did you get any financial aid from McGill? Also was it merit based or need based? I'm not sure I understand the difference myself but their site lists things like bursarys are need based. Do they help everyone who cant fully afford to attend?

Hi, Yes I got 5k ($) and it was means tested (need based). If you are planning on attending this year you have missed the deadline to apply for a bursary although you can check by calling up. They help everyone they can that deserves it until they run out I believe, not sure if it based on severity of the need.
Reply 534
Original post by Yash13
Hi, Yes I got 5k ($) and it was means tested (need based). If you are planning on attending this year you have missed the deadline to apply for a bursary although you can check by calling up. They help everyone they can that deserves it until they run out I believe, not sure if it based on severity of the need.

Ah! I guess I'm a bit late then. I didnt actually know they even offer need based help :/ How much is your total fee including housing/food coming around to? I'm in arts aswell and I'm getting around 32/33 after researching the site a bit. Is that accurate? Asking as I need to plan properly for the finances before getting there. Sorry for all the questions. Sucks that we cant take out student loans like those studying in the UK.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 535
Original post by ZerofeX
Ah! I guess I'm a bit late then. I didnt actually know they even offer need based help :/ How much is your total fee including housing/food coming around to? I'm in arts aswell and I'm getting around 32/33 after researching the site a bit. Is that accurate? Asking as I need to plan properly for the finances before getting there. Sorry for all the questions. Sucks that we cant take out student loans like those studying in the UK.

Yeah neither did I until I saw it on Minerva. Awesome, Arts people are cool :cool:

32k? That sounds about right if you mean in dollars.
Fees..png
The image is a run down of the basic fees, then you need to add accommodation and living costs (including meal plan). Depends on your rez and meal plan I suppose. I think the smallest meal plan is $4900 and if you are in hotel-style it is likely to be around $9000 for rent so we can estimate $13900 for accommodation and basic food so around 31k excluding our other living costs.

Nah its fine, keep asking me questions if you need to, I am happy to help. I know what you mean about the loans, my parents have to pay for it, which makes me feel a bit guilty but I have no other option. It's worth it though. What do you plan on studying btw?
Reply 536
Original post by Yash13
Yeah neither did I until I saw it on Minerva. Awesome, Arts people are cool :cool:

32k? That sounds about right if you mean in dollars.
Fees..png
The image is a run down of the basic fees, then you need to add accommodation and living costs (including meal plan). Depends on your rez and meal plan I suppose. I think the smallest meal plan is $4900 and if you are in hotel-style it is likely to be around $9000 for rent so we can estimate $13900 for accommodation and basic food so around 31k excluding our other living costs.

Nah its fine, keep asking me questions if you need to, I am happy to help. I know what you mean about the loans, my parents have to pay for it, which makes me feel a bit guilty but I have no other option. It's worth it though. What do you plan on studying btw?

International Relations and I havent yet picked my second major but the classes arn't being filled up much so its ok. still got sometime to decide.
Reply 537
Original post by ZerofeX
International Relations and I havent yet picked my second major but the classes arn't being filled up much so its ok. still got sometime to decide.

Nice, I wanted to take some of the IR classes but they were full I think they were State Behaviour and Economic Relations. Cool, I am going for Eco + Finance :smile:
Reply 538
So I'm doing:

ECON 250 D1
ECON 257 D1
MATH 141
MATH 133
POLI 244

Will I survive my first semester at McGill? It's 16 credits total as
MATH 141 is a 4 credit course and a pre-req.

Winter term:

ECON 250 D2
ECON 257 D2
MATH 222
POLI 231
POLI 243

15 credits at the end of this term.

Am I all good? :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 539
Original post by ibs007
So I'm doing:

ECON 250 D1
ECON 257 D1
MATH 141
MATH 133
POLI 244

Will I survive my first semester at McGill? It's 16 credits total as
MATH 141 is a 4 credit course and a pre-req.

Winter term:

ECON 250 D2
ECON 257 D2
MATH 222
POLI 231
POLI 243

15 credits at the end of this term.

Am I all good? :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Lol I've already switched down to major. Cbf to do honours. Looks hard man good luck. Btw thinking of majoring or minoring in PoliSci what does it entail? I plan to either to go into finance or law school. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending