The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Yash13
Lol I've already switched down to major. Cbf to do honours. Looks hard man good luck. Btw thinking of majoring or minoring in PoliSci what does it entail? I plan to either to go into finance or law school. :smile:

Aw man, you switched to major? Didnt even let me know :frown:

What courses you registered for now?
Reply 541
Original post by Azland
Aw man, you switched to major? Didnt even let me know :frown:

What courses you registered for now?

Sorry haha. You've been inactive for long :P I just thought I am average at Math (A student not A*) so I think Major is my level. You clever guys will do well in Honours. :smile:

My courses: Classes.png

I think I might double major in Eco + PoliSci unless I can minor in finance.

People have literally creamed over the International Relations classes I can't get any might have to do them in U2.
Reply 542
Original post by ibs007
So I'm doing:

ECON 250 D1
ECON 257 D1
MATH 141
MATH 133
POLI 244

Will I survive my first semester at McGill? It's 16 credits total as
MATH 141 is a 4 credit course and a pre-req.

Winter term:

ECON 250 D2
ECON 257 D2
MATH 222
POLI 231
POLI 243

15 credits at the end of this term.

Am I all good? :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Same - 16 for me in the first term with all the same courses as you except the pol sci one. Thinking of dropping my finance class to bring total credits down to 13 for the first term. I think that would be better since I dont want to completely bomb as soon as I reach there. Might take some time to get used to everything.
Reply 543
Original post by Azland
Same - 16 for me in the first term with all the same courses as you except the pol sci one. Thinking of dropping my finance class to bring total credits down to 13 for the first term. I think that would be better since I dont want to completely bomb as soon as I reach there. Might take some time to get used to everything.

I was thinking about that too but I want to make sure I do enough credits per term to graduate on schedule. Also, I'd rather work a little harder now and have a little less work in the future when the **** really hits the fan. It's mainly the math co-req's which are taking up all the time in the first place....I like maths...so I won't mind too much! Plus, terms are only 4 months long!

Reply 544
Anybody else having trouble with their study permit application? Haven't been able to log in the website for a while and I keep getting passed around when I ring up. :frown:

Also are you all living in halls? I have been offered a place on the waiting list but I have to decide by monday. If I accept and pay the deposit I am guaranteed a place but have to take whatever they give me, and I might have to wait until after term starts before I get a room (they would put me in temporary accommodation). I thought this might be a good idea but then I looked at the costs and they are really high, especially if I get one with a meal plan - wtf, $5,000 just for food??
Reply 545
Original post by ibs007
I was thinking about that too but I want to make sure I do enough credits per term to graduate on schedule. Also, I'd rather work a little harder now and have a little less work in the future when the **** really hits the fan. It's mainly the math co-req's which are taking up all the time in the first place....I like maths...so I won't mind too much! Plus, terms are only 4 months long!

I think we'd still graduate on time though I'm not too sure. My total honours credits are 60 with Econ and Finance. I think its 66 for you since polsci is 36 credits. That still leaves us with some spare credits since 3 years is 90 credits.We've used a few for the math prereqs but there's still some leeway. What do you think?
Reply 546
Original post by ily_em
Anybody else having trouble with their study permit application? Haven't been able to log in the website for a while and I keep getting passed around when I ring up. :frown:

Also are you all living in halls? I have been offered a place on the waiting list but I have to decide by monday. If I accept and pay the deposit I am guaranteed a place but have to take whatever they give me, and I might have to wait until after term starts before I get a room (they would put me in temporary accommodation). I thought this might be a good idea but then I looked at the costs and they are really high, especially if I get one with a meal plan - wtf, $5,000 just for food??

I hate MyCIC, study permit was a nightmare online they locked me out because I forgot my password and it didnt reset my account for 2 weeks. Ringing up was a waste of my money as it didn't help, I just waited it out until I could login again.

Haha yeah Mandatory meal plan is a bitch unless you are in La Citadelle (like me), which costs me $1,250 for food :P I have seen this scenario posted on CollegeConfidential. Wait-listed people sometimes go for off campus and then move into any available on campus accommodation but I don't how it works.

What do you plan on studying at McGill?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 547
Original post by Azland

I would avoid 16 credits in the first term. The courses you are taking will require a good amount of time. As I said before, Econ 250 and Econ 257 are designed to be "admissions courses" for the honours program so they are kind of hard. Math 141 had a B- average last semester after a good curve and Math 133 too but without the curve. Also, if I am not mistaken, if you want to take more than 15 credits you will need a permission from faculty adviser, you should check that. I took 15 credits in my first semester and ended with a very bad gpa. My second semester was much better with the same 15 credits and harder courses, it's all about getting used to it.

You should do that in the winter term, it will be probably easier, especially if you want to enjoy your rez.

I talked to the residences director in my first week last year and he said that some people were still without room and sleeping on sofas or on the floor at Solin and other halls. But I think, if this happens, it would be only for a few weeks as last year the university rented two floors from a hotel to accommodate the remaining freshmen. Also, La Citadelle is opening this year so there are more vacant rooms and sleeping on the floor will be more unlikely. :smile:
Reply 548
Original post by mast
I would avoid 16 credits in the first term. The courses you are taking will require a good amount of time. As I said before, Econ 250 and Econ 257 are designed to be "admissions courses" for the honours program so they are kind of hard. Math 141 had a B- average last semester after a good curve and Math 133 too but without the curve. Also, if I am not mistaken, if you want to take more than 15 credits you will need a permission from faculty adviser, you should check that. I took 15 credits in my first semester and ended with a very bad gpa. My second semester was much better with the same 15 credits and harder courses, it's all about getting used to it.

You should do that in the winter term, it will be probably easier, especially if you want to enjoy your rez.

I talked to the residences director in my first week last year and he said that some people were still without room and sleeping on sofas or on the floor at Solin and other halls. But I think, if this happens, it would be only for a few weeks as last year the university rented two floors from a hotel to accommodate the remaining freshmen. Also, La Citadelle is opening this year so there are more vacant rooms and sleeping on the floor will be more unlikely. :smile:

Yeah, but its 16 only because of a U0 course and 141 is 4 credits because of the tutorial. You still think its worth dropping the U0 finance course?

Edit : Nevermind, I dropped it and Minerva vultures took my spot immediately so there's no going back lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 549
Original post by Azland
Yeah, but its 16 only because of a U0 course and 141 is 4 credits because of the tutorial. You still think its worth dropping the U0 finance course?

Edit : Nevermind, I dropped it and Minerva vultures took my spot immediately so there's no going back lol.

Lool Minerva vultures, Aza I love it. You dropped MGCR 211?

I don't even need Math for the Major so I might drop Math 133 and keep Math 141 as that is the level required for UBC and Toronto's Major programs I think.
Reply 550
Original post by Yash13
Lool Minerva vultures, Aza I love it. You dropped MGCR 211?

I don't even need Math for the Major so I might drop Math 133 and keep Math 141 as that is the level required for UBC and Toronto's Major programs I think.

Yeah, dropped MGCR 211 although I dont think the course was too hard. Went through some of the content and there was quite a bit of overlap with my business AL. Nevertheless it should free up some time for the econ classes and adjusting to life there.

I registered for Calc 3, MGCR 211 and another Finance course for the winter term but I think I'll drop calc after getting to know the profs a bit better and asking them if its really needed since it seems like just another way to damage your GPA. I might aswell learn the calculus needed specifically for the course during the summer by myself rather then let the mcgill curve kill me for it lol.

I dont think you even need 141 but its good to keep your options open I guess. Who knows, you might want to switch back to the honours later on, Lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 551
Original post by Azland
Yeah, dropped MGCR 211 although I dont think the course was too hard. Went through some of the content and there was quite a bit of overlap with my business AL. Nevertheless it should free up some time for the econ classes and adjusting to life there.

I registered for Calc 3, MGCR 211 and another Finance course for the winter term but I think I'll drop calc after getting to know the profs a bit better and asking them if its really needed since it seems like just another way to damage your GPA. I might aswell learn the calculus needed specifically for the course during the summer by myself rather then let the mcgill curve kill me for it lol.

I dont think you even need 141 but its good to keep your options open I guess. Who knows, you might want to switch back to the honours later on, Lol.

Yeah MGCR 211 looks ok tbh but I am doing it in the winter. I am unsure whether to do 16 credits in the fall sem too. I want to do Introductory Econometrics which will basically need Math 133 and Math 141.

Calc 3 is Multi-Variable so for honours you should try and do that I think but if your smart enough to pass honours I'm sure you can learn it by yourself. LOOL yeah with some Math Majors taking that class with you the curve is guna be a bitch.

Haha I probably could avoid any math altogether but I wana keep my options open :smile:

All the nice Econ classes for my Major have been taken, damn vultures. lol
Anyone knows by any chance how to learn Math 140, Math 141 and Math 222 (calculus 1,2 ,3) by ourselves?

I struggle to find the courses contents on Google, or even the textbooks used in these courses.
Reply 553
Original post by Felchingman
Anyone knows by any chance how to learn Math 140, Math 141 and Math 222 (calculus 1,2 ,3) by ourselves?

I struggle to find the courses contents on Google, or even the textbooks used in these courses.

Pauls online notes has sections called Calc1,2,3. I imagine its a little different from what McGill refers to as 1,2,3 but I'm sure collectively they both teach the same things.

Go through it here incase your interested.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx
Original post by Azland
Pauls online notes has sections called Calc1,2,3. I imagine its a little different from what McGill refers to as 1,2,3 but I'm sure collectively they both teach the same things.

Go through it here incase your interested.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx

Thanks sick website! What's worrying me though is whilst my french baccalaureate exempts me from taking Math 140 and Math 141, it seems like there's a lot of stuff I didn't go through...

It's going to be fun holidays.
Reply 555
Thanks sick website! What's worrying me though is whilst my french baccalaureate exempts me from taking Math 140 and Math 141, it seems like there's a lot of stuff I didn't go through...

It's going to be fun holidays.

Doubt you'll really need whatever your missing. Might make more sense to wait till classes start to see exactly what parts of calculus you need for your course and learn them in your free time between classes. I doubt it would take long to learn individual parts of calculus. I have exemption from 140 and I'm taking econ honours like you but doing 141 along side it since I dont have an exemption for that.
Original post by Azland
Doubt you'll really need whatever your missing. Might make more sense to wait till classes start to see exactly what parts of calculus you need for your course and learn them in your free time between classes. I doubt it would take long to learn individual parts of calculus. I have exemption from 140 and I'm taking econ honours like you but doing 141 along side it since I dont have an exemption for that.

I hear you're GPA is going to suffer, especially if you're doing Math 141 only as it is the continuation of Math 140.
Reply 557
I hear you're GPA is going to suffer, especially if you're doing Math 141 only as it is the continuation of Math 140.

I've read up a bit on Calc 2 myself on that website and I've taken only 13 credits this term ( 4 courses ) so there's quite a bit of free time for me to learn the stuff if needed by myself. Also all of it isnt new. I mean methods of integration and a few other topics are covered in A Levels so its not all bad.

How about you? Plan on taking Calc 3 directly?
Till I meet with an adviser I can't register for calc 3, actually there are a fair bit of classes I couldn't register into, one MGCR class, Econ 250 and 257.

Calc 3 is not a required course for my program, and as it is full already, it seems I'm not going to take it.
Reply 559
Till I meet with an adviser I can't register for calc 3, actually there are a fair bit of classes I couldn't register into, one MGCR class, Econ 250 and 257.

Calc 3 is not a required course for my program, and as it is full already, it seems I'm not going to take it.

You dont need to meet him. Just mailing him is fine and he'll approve it on your minerva ID within a day or two. Joint honours in Econ/Finance right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending