The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

This may be a silly question, but would it be worth buying a small printer to have in my bedroom or is this completely unnecessary? Not sure how much IT my course will require, or if printers are readily available.
Having your own printer can be quite useful. Just prepare for neighbours and friends to want to use it all the time once they realise you've got one :p:
Reply 982
How much does general day to day living (going out, buying books ect) cost excluding meals and accomodation?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Having your own printer can be quite useful. Just prepare for neighbours and friends to want to use it all the time once they realise you've got one :p:

see this is why i think it might be more trouble than it's worth. plus printers and really expensive to run and randomly stop working all the time :beard:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
This may be a silly question, but would it be worth buying a small printer to have in my bedroom or is this completely unnecessary? Not sure how much IT my course will require, or if printers are readily available.

Most colleges will have printers available for you to use (can't imagine there are any that don't, actually). So I would say don't bother, as the printer and ink cartridges will cost quite a bit more than the small charge for using the college's printing facilities.

Most JCRs will have a computer room with a printer, although accessibility/cost will vary. I have my own because I need to print out a lot of reading lists/papers/essays, but I did have it beforehand and I could potentially have done without. It is really expensive to have your own, as I found out when my two biologist frinds printed out two 40-page papers each and completely annihiliated my ink... :/ But it is useful, and you can always say no. Your choice.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Most JCRs will have a computer room with a printer, although accessibility/cost will vary. I have my own because I need to print out a lot of reading lists/papers/essays, but I did have it beforehand and I could potentially have done without. It is really expensive to have your own, as I found out when my two biologist frinds printed out two 40-page papers each and completely annihiliated my ink... :/ But it is useful, and you can always say no. Your choice.

Did you not charge your friends for use of my printer? My tute partner asked for termly donations, which I gave him. I very rarely asked him to do big print jobs for me, since I didn't want to take the piss :nah:
Reply 987
Original post by Ja-m-ie
Err... I do PPE and I counted 40 hours a week?

Wow they do sports at Oxford?

I have my own printer/photocopier, as I frequently have to print 20-page documents and the printers in my college's JCR and library are always out of order whenever I want to use them. It didn't cost much, I can buy cheap ink cartridges off Amazon and I have the reassurance of knowing that I'm not at the mercy of the permanently paper-jammed college printers. But really it depends on the college and the course, and some tutors prefer electronic submission anyway.
Original post by TheDubs
Wow they do sports at Oxford?

Try googling the phrases "boat race" and "varsity match"
Reply 990
Original post by nulli tertius
Try googling the phrases "boat race" and "varsity match"

That'd be pretty pointless given this is an Oxford thread. Not a river to be seen near Oxford so can't see your logic.
Original post by TheDubs
That'd be pretty pointless given this is an Oxford thread. Not a river to be seen near Oxford so can't see your logic.

Please tell me this is a wind up.
Did you not charge your friends for use of my printer? My tute partner asked for termly donations, which I gave him. I very rarely asked him to do big print jobs for me, since I didn't want to take the piss :nah:

Yes I did, but they initially paid me the same as the JCR would charge and I didn't realise my ink cost significantly more until afterwards. They now pay a higher rate but it was a big shock the first time.
Original post by TheDubs

14869018.jpg

mustbe (i hope)
Reply 995

Its amazing your still talking to me given that I'm clearly yanking your chain.
Reply 996
I don't know if someone else has already asked this, but is there anywhere for international students to store their belongings during Christmas/Easter break? I would be in Teddy Hall, if it depends on which college it is
Reply 997
Original post by Dnibara
I don't know if someone else has already asked this, but is there anywhere for international students to store their belongings during Christmas/Easter break? I would be in Teddy Hall, if it depends on which college it is

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some kind of arrangment, though I wouldn't anticipate it being huge or necessarily very convenient.
Reply 998
Original post by Dnibara

Most of the colleges have a place for international students to store a modest amount of stuff over the breaks. When you get your info in the summer it should have details, but you can certainly contact them. Based the experience of a 2nd year student I know, it's not a whole lot of space, and she had to go scrounge up boxes to store the stuff that didn't fit in the suitcases she brought. I'm thinking of getting a trunk once I get there- hopefully strong enough to be a table or even to sit on- to use.
Do people who choose to remain in college after first year ever feel a bit out of it? I purposely chose Magdor as it provides in-college accommodation all the way through, and I hate people, so :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending