The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnimalSpirit
Let me correct you on that.. We should not be married and have babies! :s-smilie: :confused:

...It was a joke....:tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
God, you sound just like Sven. You two should get married and have golf-obsessed, economically-minded European babies O.o

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ECONOMISTS

And by the way, I believe you mean "economics-minded" and not economically since economically expresses eagerness to save and conserve resources :wink:.. (I am aware that this is a dangerous game I'm playing, arguing with you about language :biggrin:)
Original post by such_a_lady
...It was a joke....:tongue:

Don't frighten me! :wink:
And by the way, I believe you mean "economics-minded" and not economically since economically expresses eagerness to save and conserve resources :wink:.. (I am aware that this is a dangerous game I'm playing, arguing with you about language :biggrin:)

Chapeau, my friend, chapeau to you. :hat2:

I'm going to stop derailing the thread now :tongue:

ec·o·nom·i·cal·ly

adverb /ˌekəˈnämik(ə)lē/  /ˌēkə-/ 

In a way that relates to economics or finance
- the region is important economically

In a way that involves careful use of money or resources
- the new building was erected as economically as possible

In a way that uses no more of something than is necessary
- a précis aims to express a passage more economically

Source

:pierre:
Original post by medbh4805

Ta very much :biggrin:

But not "Economics-related" :biggrin: there is a difference! :smile: Economics is a discipline. The region is not important for the discipline of economics :tongue:
Reply 107
Original post by fluteflute
Where abouts do Philosophy lectures take place?

Exam schools, it's where most lectures take place I think.
Reply 108
Is it fairly easy to go from a single honours course to a joint honours course? I'm going to apply for History at all my universities, but if I get into Oxford - I'd like to change to His&Pol. I know I can't rely on it, but is it manageable?
But not "Economics-related" :biggrin: there is a difference! :smile: Economics is a discipline. The region is not important for the discipline of economics :tongue:

In a way that relates to economics

:beard:

I think we both know, that is just false argumentation :biggrin:

The discipline of economics is not always the same as economics in general :smile:
I think we both know, that is just false argumentation :biggrin:

You underestimate my capacity for pedantry :pierre:

Spoiler

AnimalSpirit
The discipline of economics is not always the same as economics in general :smile:

1. economically - with respect to economic science; "economically this proposal makes no sense"
2. economically - in an economical manner
3. economically - with respect to the economic system; "economically the country is worse off"

Source

:pierre:

:dots:

Spoiler

:dots:

Spoiler

:yeah:
Reply 116
Original post by Cariie
Come to St Hugh's, where rolling on the grass is thoroughly encouraged and you wont be hit by a sniper unlike some colleges :tongue:

That sounds absolutely fantastic. :biggrin:

EDIT: Why have I been negged..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by soindie
Is it fairly easy to go from a single honours course to a joint honours course? I'm going to apply for History at all my universities, but if I get into Oxford - I'd like to change to His&Pol. I know I can't rely on it, but is it manageable?

You can swap in first term, you have to get permission from your tutor and discuss it with the Senior tutor of the college (they decide if you've been handling your work well enough to take on another course) then you are interviewed for the course you want to take. It is doable if you put in a convincing argument :smile: We've had 3 students out of about 200 change their course that way, (but not to HisPol) so it is still quite rare

Negged for advice TSR. . .? Really?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cariie
You can swap in first term, you have to get permission from your tutor and discuss it with the Senior tutor of the college (they decide if you've been handling your work well enough to take on another course) then you are interviewed for the course you want to take. It is doable if you put in a convincing argument :smile: We've had 3 students out of about 200 change their course that way, (but not to HisPol) so it is still quite rare

I got rejected for English & Spanish, holding an offer for English. There's no chance they'd let me swap in to an English & Spanish degree when at Oxford is there? :rolleyes:
Original post by confused dot com
Oh thanks, that's a relief :smile:

Or apply to Emmanuel College, Cambridge where they do all your washing free ready for you to pick up :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending