The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Barnickle
Woohoo! Batch theory prevails then and all is not lost... at least for now :smile:

Well done for getting an interview jcasey1989... now, its back to portal refreshing for me.

So that you know Barnickle, their email invite was the only contact I received from them so far. My pupillage portal has been updated(ish) such that it says nothing; the space is actually blank, no "under consideration" nor any "first interview confirmed" entry (perhaps because ECC only do a single interview round?). So keep refreshing your inbox instead :smile: Good luck!
Reply 1981
Personalised letters from a poor dear at Queen Square Chambers telling everyone their application has been received and is under consideration.
Reply 1982
Original post by jcasey1989
Congratulations! I'm stuck at work at the mo but hoping there'll be a letter waiting for me when I get home!

Good luck!! :-)
Hello everyone.

Does anyone have any experience of No5 Chambers 1st interviews?

I will provide Brownie points as consideration.
Has anyone got any experience on 10 minute interviews, I've got two coming up and I'm not sure whether to expect a quick fire round or more of a friendly chat?
Original post by Lawrasawrus
Has anyone got any experience on 10 minute interviews, I've got two coming up and I'm not sure whether to expect a quick fire round or more of a friendly chat?

Yes! God I hope it's a friendly chat for you. Mine, on the other hand was a 20 - questions grilling, which included questions like "What's the most rebellious thing you've ever done?", "Who's head of chambers?","OK, which of us is a DDJ?", "how do you think this interview is going, out of 10?" "*after sliding a glass of water down the table at me* HALF-FULL OR HALF EMPTY??!WHY?!"

:smile:
Original post by user1434
So that you know Barnickle, their email invite was the only contact I received from them so far. My pupillage portal has been updated(ish) such that it says nothing; the space is actually blank, no "under consideration" nor any "first interview confirmed" entry (perhaps because ECC only do a single interview round?). So keep refreshing your inbox instead :smile: Good luck!

Thanks user1434 :smile: The good news is they e-mailed me just now and... there endeth the good news. Still, plenty more irons in the old fire! I do wish they wouldn't call on current employment references before even making interview decisions though, bad form, really bad form. There we are, rant over.
Original post by ProofNotTruth
Timothy Mousley's set? Are you sure? Their website indicates the deadline is tomorrow...

I got an invite too... I thought the deadline was the same as Portal...
Reply 1988
Original post by wannabe_pupil

When did you send your application (please)?
Original post by seatoshiningsea
Congrats! Well done on getting there - and all the best for the final interview!

Thanks! Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 1990
Original post by theotherwinnie
Hello all,

If anyone has a first round at 2KBW and would be willing to swap times with me (I'm in the morning and it clashes with one of the few other interviews I've managed to get), could you please PM me? Unfortunately chambers can't swap my time so it's make or break :smile:

This is a big ask but if anyone is able to or if it also gets you out of a pickle then I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

I have a 9.30 am unlikely to help much but willing to swap!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by LawLegend
Yes! God I hope it's a friendly chat for you. Mine, on the other hand was a 20 - questions grilling, which included questions like "What's the most rebellious thing you've ever done?", "Who's head of chambers?","OK, which of us is a DDJ?", "how do you think this interview is going, out of 10?" "*after sliding a glass of water down the table at me* HALF-FULL OR HALF EMPTY??!WHY?!"

Amazing! That actually sounds like they'd be a huge laugh outside of 'life-altering opportunity' situations.

:awesome:
Arden Chambers invites are out by e-mail.
Original post by anon14
I have a 9.30 am unlikely to help much but willing to swap!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hey, I just sent you a message but thanks so much!
Reply 1994
Original post by Shearn
Personalised letters from a poor dear at Queen Square Chambers telling everyone their application has been received and is under consideration.

Shearn - Did you apply before the original deadline or during the 'extended' deadline when they realised they had to advertise on the Portal?

Thanks and good luck.
Haven't received anything from Queen Square yet...hmm...
Original post by wannabe_pupil

That's really odd...I wonder whether last-minute applicants should even bother to complete the form for Chambers now!
Reply 1997
Original post by seatoshiningsea
That's really odd...I wonder whether last-minute applicants should even bother to complete the form for Chambers now!

Exactly! I was planning on finishing my application but not too sure right now. Colour me confused
Original post by LawLegend

I had that too! Also I've had another where I got- "what chocolate bar are you?" "who would you least like to be stuck on a desert island with?" "if you got given a million pounds what would be the first thing you brought?" and all other completely irrelavent questions! Literally the most pointless interview ever! :smile:
Original post by Wildman
I've often wondered that about chambers that are 'forced' to extend the deadline by PP. I imagine some of them might say 'right, we'll put it on PP and extend the deadline but screw you we're still doing it our way'.

Well, they can't be too obvious in doing so - ultimately, boards like these enable applicants to see whether they've been discriminated against. If they want to offer a valid, water-tight pupillage, Chambers can't have it their way. They need to (oh, the irony in the legal profession!) abide by the rules. After all, we're expected to fill in applications and present ourselves with due decorum and conduct. The least that can be expected of Chambers is a modicum of respect for the time that candidates put in. After all, most of us could already be earning quite nicely in the corporate world...so yeah, just my two cents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending