The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Okay, this may sound really stupid, but when I apply for mini-pupillages via email, which request a covering letter and CV, do I use the email as the covering letter, or should I put it in a seperate document?
Original post by zaliack
Okay, this may sound really stupid, but when I apply for mini-pupillages via email, which request a covering letter and CV, do I use the email as the covering letter, or should I put it in a seperate document?

Always as a separate document.
Original post by InnerTemple
Always as a separate document.

Original post by zaliack

Mine is separate from the CV.
Original post by Wildman
Just to confirm, send an email that says 'Dear x, I have attached my application' or something to that effect, then have two documents - covering letter and CV.

Sometimes I put "Pupillage 2012" as the subject and then write: "Dear X, I have attached my application for the above mentioned pupillage."

Other times I do as you suggest - I am a man of great variety.
Reply 3805
What the Inner Temple said is right.

Perhaps be a little more formal and say "please find attached my covering letter" etc
Reply 3806
I had an interview recently where I was asked how I planned to "market myself" as the Chambers in question was small and quite young. Has anyone else been asked this? How did you respond?
At the risk of getting my face flamed off, have anyone heard from Maidstone Chambers yet?
Original post by All Bar None
At the risk of getting my face flamed off, have anyone heard from Maidstone Chambers yet?

And yet more negative rep - how tedious.

Grow up.
Original post by LEM20
I had an interview recently where I was asked how I planned to "market myself" as the Chambers in question was small and quite young. Has anyone else been asked this? How did you respond?

I was asked that question during first interview stage. I said something along the lines of ..young barristers need to look at areas of growth within the economy, one such area is tech start-ups - lots of businesses developing smart phone apps etc etc that require legal/business advice. In fact, after seeing an accountant, the next professional service that a new business will seek advice from = lawyers.

Direct access regulations are due to change shortly, allowing NQs >3 the opportunity to tout for work as well. I said that I would offer advice/legal assistance to start-ups for free in the hope of securing meaty piece of work in the future. There are so many conventions, events, conferences where entrepreneurs come together to share advice. If the start-up didn’t have enough capital to pay me, I would ask for shares in the company….

The central fact about being a barrister is running your own business. Everything else is of secondary importance. I centred all my answers around this central tenant. I didn’t have the most spectacular grades, but stylised myself as the most commercially savvy potential pupil. Some chambers didn’t like this, but one did and I got lucky…..
Anyone had an invite for First Round Interview/Rejection from Warwick House Chambers?
Original post by Potential Pupil
Anyone had an invite for First Round Interview/Rejection from Warwick House Chambers?

Hi Potential Pupil,

Warwick House was a bit of a mystery - some people got confirmation emails acknowledging their application, some got an update several weeks later stating that they had been overwhelmed by the number of applicants and would be in touch in due course - the rest received neither!

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Cheers.
Reply 3812
Original post by Potential Pupil

I received an acknowledgment email stating that they would be in touch shortly. Never heard from them again. Called about two months ago and spoke to a female barrister. 'Oh, yes,' she said vaguely. 'We do intend to offer pupillage this year. You'll hear from us soon.'

I've written them off now.

Did anyone interview at Temple Court Chambers tonight?
Reply 3813
Has anyone heard from 7 Harrington Street? I got the letter a while ago giving the date for first rounds but wondered if anyone has received an invite yet?
Reply 3814
Temple Court interview last Thursday - quite brutal for me. Interview was quite flexible around the application form, so my tip is to think around that rather than the standard pupillage interview questions. The exercise was quite tough too - though I imagine everyone else tried to read up on that sort of thing beforehand too. Civil interview after all.

Good luck all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Warwick House rejections out via email this evening.
Reply 3816
Original post by mickythemilkman
Warwick House rejections out via email this evening.

Still not a thing my end.
anyone anything from the CPS?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by littlewig
anyone anything from the CPS?

Nothing yet. My understanding is that it could be anyday this week but hopefully today!
Original post by justdrive
Nothing yet. My understanding is that it could be anyday this week but hopefully today!

I rang a week or so ago as I'm aboard this week and needed to know whether I needed access to my email and they said if it wasn't Friday or would be first thing today! Can't relax on holiday until we know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending