The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlewig
I rang a week or so ago as I'm aboard this week and needed to know whether I needed access to my email and they said if it wasn't Friday or would be first thing today! Can't relax on holiday until we know!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'll make sure to let you know as soon as I hear anything! Not being able to relax on holiday is no fun!
I rang a week or so ago as I'm aboard this week and needed to know whether I needed access to my email and they said if it wasn't Friday or would be first thing today! Can't relax on holiday until we know!

I have had an email! Good luck to you!
Original post by justdrive
I have had an email! Good luck to you!

Me too!! What area did you get?

Me too!! What area did you get?

Congrats! I got CPS London (my first choice). How about you?
Original post by justdrive
Congrats! I got CPS London (my first choice). How about you?

CPS West Midlands, wanted Manchester but its bloody pupillage so I don't care!

Original post by vh123
Has anyone heard from 7 Harrington Street? I got the letter a while ago giving the date for first rounds but wondered if anyone has received an invite yet?

Just been invited to first round at 7 Harrington Street by telephone call.
Reply 3826
If anyone who was successful at the CPS wants to share tips/experiences, please inbox me. It's not for me, it's for advising university students.
Reply 3827
Original post by IllegallyBlonde20
having submitted my app for walnut on the 30 july (for a 31 deadline) and recieved acknowledgment, i now see from their website that they extended the deadline until the 17 aug! odd

They weren't advertising the vacancy on portal so had to reopen applications...

Has anyone heard from 15NBS yet???

Also, someone a while back mentioned having received a rejection from Warwick House but has anyone heard anything else?
I honestly have no idea how anyone manages to keep sane during pupillage applications, I'm going crazy just waiting for mini-pupillages!
Reply 3829
CPS West Midlands, wanted Manchester but its bloody pupillage so I don't care!

I am planning to apply to the CPS in the next round. If anyone would care to share tips/advice on the application process via PM, I would be really grateful.
I've got an interview this weekend and the chambers have asked me to be ready to prepare and present a bail application. I'm pre-BPTC and don't have a clue how to do bail apps. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you in advance!
Original post by LEM20
I am planning to apply to the CPS in the next round. If anyone would care to share tips/advice on the application process via PM, I would be really grateful.

Yes, me too - really grateful. (Many congratulations on getting pupillage this year with them btw)
Reply 3832
Original post by Pupillage123
I've got an interview this weekend and the chambers have asked me to be ready to prepare and present a bail application. I'm pre-BPTC and don't have a clue how to do bail apps. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you in advance!

I was in your position a few months ago. It's not as scary as it sounds.

1) Read a chapter of a criminal procedure book such as the Hungerford-Welch, just so you know some basic law. You will learn pretty fast that there is a presumption in favour of bail and what the grounds for refusal of bail are etc...
2) Read the chapter on bail apps from the City law school 'Advocacy'
3) Read the chapter on bail apps from the book 'effective advocacy' by Noel Shaw
4) Go along to the Magistrates' court to watch some bail apps. CC bail apps are, unfortunately, usually conducted in Chambers (i.e. the public can't watch).
5) Practise preparing bail apps in a structured, logical, and persuasive fashion, as taught by the advocacy books. In your applications, start by dealing straightaway with the prosecution objections to bail (which they will tell you) - don't waffle with generic stuff. You will be given a large set of facts. Pick out what seems relevant to your submissions, leave out what is irrelevant. Don't make silly points - appear reasonable. Don't give a hectoring address.
6) Don't be too nervous. Think on your feet and be prepared to run with what the 'judge' (panel of barristers) do on the day - they might prefer to ask questions rather than let you deliver your submissions; don't be worried by that.
Original post by andymt
I was in your position a few months ago. It's not as scary as it sounds.

1) Read a chapter of a criminal procedure book such as the Hungerford-Welch, just so you know some basic law. You will learn pretty fast that there is a presumption in favour of bail and what the grounds for refusal of bail are etc...
2) Read the chapter on bail apps from the City law school 'Advocacy'
3) Read the chapter on bail apps from the book 'effective advocacy' by Noel Shaw
4) Go along to the Magistrates' court to watch some bail apps. CC bail apps are, unfortunately, usually conducted in Chambers (i.e. the public can't watch).
5) Practise preparing bail apps in a structured, logical, and persuasive fashion, as taught by the advocacy books. In your applications, start by dealing straightaway with the prosecution objections to bail (which they will tell you) - don't waffle with generic stuff. You will be given a large set of facts. Pick out what seems relevant to your submissions, leave out what is irrelevant. Don't make silly points - appear reasonable. Don't give a hectoring address.
6) Don't be too nervous. Think on your feet and be prepared to run with what the 'judge' (panel of barristers) do on the day - they might prefer to ask questions rather than let you deliver your submissions; don't be worried by that.

Thank you so so much for your help andymt, and for the encouragement, because it is a bit daunting to be honest! Thank you again - all of your advice is taken on board!
I have an interview on the weekend with Holborn Chambers. Not sure what to expect. Any ideas?
Reply 3835
Original post by Pupillage1234
I have an interview on the weekend with Holborn Chambers. Not sure what to expect. Any ideas?

They were 6 Gate Street (a pure crime set) last year, people discussed the interviews on last year's thread if you want to have a look.
How did everyone do at the Holborn Chambers interview?
Reply 3837
I interviewed at Holborn on Saturday and I came away feeling ok but it is so hard to tell! How did you get on? Did you manage to find out how many they were interviewing?

Reply 3838
Has anyone heard from Colleton Chambers since the interview last weekend? They said that they would get back within a few days.
Original post by Bar2B
Has anyone heard from Colleton Chambers since the interview last weekend? They said that they would get back within a few days.

Yup, just got an email rejection...fingers crossed no news is good news for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending