The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Has anyone heard from the judicial assistant applications? The interviews are 1, 2 and 3 July so surely we should hear soon...
Original post by london law girl
Has anyone interviewed at KBW (Leeds) before? If so are you able to offer any insight on their interview procedure? I know there will be some kind of advocacy exercise to prepare on the day 15 mins in advance.

KBW in Leeds are a brilliant set. They are (relatively) young, forward thinking and very friendly. The atmosphere was a mix of professional with a dash of North Square spice. Their offices (in a converted pump house/engine rooms) are snazzy and stylish. In short, a fantastic prospect for any would-be pupil. They were my first ever second-round set and I cannot tell you how gutted I was when I didn't make it. Probably the hardest-hitting rejection I've ever had to be honest.

In terms of interview (and this is going back to 2010), I had a panel of 3. They ran 3 panels concurrently (or it may have been two - bit sketchy on that). They consisted of one older member and two of the more junior members. On arrival I chatted with the previous pupils, getting a sense of the workload/atmosphere at the set. I was then taken up into a prep room, with a desk, where I had to prepare some thoughts on a mixed legal/ethical issue. IIRC, you had a choice of topics to select from. After a short while, I was taken before the panel who were very relaxed and chatty. Some brief questions about the journey, how I had enjoyed the GDL and then into the set question. Predictably (and you should ALWAYS prepare for this) I was asked to argue first one way, then the other. They were gently challenging, enough to let me know they wanted me to think on my feet but not so much that I was intimidated. I wish, at first round level, more sets adopted that attitude. The rest of the interview was taken up with discussing my background and the interesting things I had done. They really appreciate flavour in a candidate, and the question that stood out for me was "Tell us, if we were to leave here now and go to the pub for a drink (the offices are right next door to a jolly little pub/bar), what would we chat about and how would you entertain us?". The sort of question I imagine Shearn would be good at. It was a great way to finish the interview, since they get to see you as an individual rather than a brain on a conveyor belt.

More about the second round when that comes to it. Sadly, they didn't recruit last year. My only hope now is to get tenancy there at a later date :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kessler`
"Tell us, if we were to leave here now and go to the pub for a drink (the offices are right next door to a jolly little pub/bar), what would we chat about and how would you entertain us?"

Sorry you didn't get in there - you sound truly gutted!
So, how did you propose to entertain them? :smile:
Original post by olpasdisliker
Sorry you didn't get in there - you sound truly gutted!
So, how did you propose to entertain them? :smile:

Well, I used to do re-enactment whilst I was at uni. I told them about some hilarious near-death experiences. It made them laugh, at any rate. I also suggested teaching them some bawdy old english songs from the civil war, which I'd picked up on my degree. It seemed to be what they were after - once you jump the academic hurdle (which you've usually done by getting to interview in the first place), they want personality, a bit of spice that will fit comfortably with the personality in chambers!
Reply 1344
hi, does anyone have experience of first round interview format at Kings, Exchange or Radcliffe?

Also, rejection letter received from 5 Stone Buildings...
42 BR Rejections finally out via email + pp updated
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by orange_balloon

Yup, and the little comment at towards the end of the end was a *little* unnecessary, we had worked out that we weren't good enough some time ago, thanks!

Same. I wonder if they put in everyone's. That it was a 'very strong application'. In other news 5 Essex Court have also just emailed two detailed documents with feedback. A massive gold star for them.
Original post by Innerchap
Yup, and the little comment at towards the end of the end was a *little* unnecessary, we had worked out that we weren't good enough some time ago, thanks!

I agree, for the benefit of those who did not have the pleasure of being rejected by 42 BR they add:

"We cannot offer further “feedback”; please do not ask."
Reply 1349
Just a quick question about Queen's Square; am I correct in thinking that the re-opened application is for pupillage in 2012 and not 2013?

Also, has anyone heard from St John's in Bristol yet? They previously e-mailed saying that replies would be after 8th June. I might be being a little optimistic to hope to hear something today!
"We cannot offer further “feedback”; please do not ask."

The original feedback given being "we don't think you're as good as the people we have invited to interview"?
Reply 1351
I have a question for y'all....

If, in a pupillage interview and/or written application, you were asked to describe your greatest achievement over the past five years, would you be inclined to give an academic/law-related example, or a personal life experience? Any thoughts welcomed...
Reply 1352
What is the general consensus in terms of asking for feedback on applications when you were rejected before interview?

I am currently on 2 rejections (Fenners & No.5). I am pre-BPTC and so am not getting too down about these; I knew it was to be expected. However, I would like to get feedback on why my written application wasn't successful so I can take it on board for next time.

Has anyone just rang up and asked for feedback or is that a bit of a no-no?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by RachMack
Just a quick question about Queen's Square; am I correct in thinking that the re-opened application is for pupillage in 2012 and not 2013?

Also, has anyone heard from St John's in Bristol yet? They previously e-mailed saying that replies would be after 8th June. I might be being a little optimistic to hope to hear something today!

I've not heard anything, but I'm going to give myself the weekend before starting the nervous refreshing!
Reply 1354
I've not heard anything, but I'm going to give myself the weekend before starting the nervous refreshing!

Thanks! Lets hope for something soon!
Original post by olpasdisliker
The original feedback given being "we don't think you're as good as the people we have invited to interview"?

Indeed, my application was "not, in our judgment, in the top very few per cent."
Reply 1356
:confused:Hi!

Has anyone heard from Garden Court, Tooks, Doughty Street or 1 Pump Court yet? If not when did people when did people hear last year? Thanks
Original post by nearmiss
hi, does anyone have experience of first round interview format at Kings, Exchange or Radcliffe?

Also, rejection letter received from 5 Stone Buildings...

I also received a rejection letter from 5SB :s-smilie: at least they had the decency to write.

Congratulations on securing a first round at Radcliffe! I did a mini there but sadly did not manage to, by the looks of things. You probably have done a mini there too, but if you haven't, I would be happy to share my initial thoughts of the work and the people there.

Best of luck!
Original post by gillsurf

Has anyone heard from Garden Court, Tooks, Doughty Street or 1 Pump Court yet? If not when did people when did people hear last year? Thanks

I haven't heard anything from Doughty yet...
Original post by gillsurf

Nothing from Garden Court or 1 Pump Court. I remember reading on the forums that 1PC were quite late and GC tend to have a lot of applications so it could be a little while longer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending