The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by nearmiss
Though feedback of any sort is useful and valuable and it is absolutely right to try to learn from each application, my view is that in general, asking for feedback on rejections at the pre-interview is unlikely to be successful. Chambers often receive several hundred applications which have to be gone through by barristers who give their time to the process and away from their own work for free, so they probably won't be able give the extra time to explaining to each candidate why they were unable to take the vast proportion of them any further. Feedback requests after a first interview on the other hand, will hopefully be more likely to end in some helpful information.

That said, there was an example (5 Essex Court?) of a set today which seemed to really make the effort to give helpful feedback pre-interview.

Instead, perhaps try to arrange a sponsor through your Inn (Middle Temple offers a scheme, not sure about the others) who can give general advice on how to improve written apps?

Your attitude seems great, which helps with a process which is often stressful and disheartening. This year (my third year applying), I received 7 rejections in a row before being invited to 3 interviews. It's important to try not to take rejection too personally, and maybe also ask trusted friends with pupillage to look over your form? With two rejections, you still have plenty of potential interviews left, good luck.

I asked for feedback after being rejected from portal sets pre-interview last year while I was on the GDL and some (not all) Chambers were happy to give feedback. The ones who were willing to give feedback told me where they saw gaps in my application, what I could do about them and general tips on how I could improve for next year. I don't think there was any harm in asking - the worst they can do is say no. :smile:

Woops - think I've linked this to the wrong quote and unsure how to fix it....
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LEM20
I have a question for y'all....

If, in a pupillage interview and/or written application, you were asked to describe your greatest achievement over the past five years, would you be inclined to give an academic/law-related example, or a personal life experience? Any thoughts welcomed...

I would give my greatest achievement over the last 5 years, whether that was academic, sporting or voluntary work....I think it would be nice to have a range of different answers and if you came up with something truly interesting it would make you stand out. I wouldn't be scared of saying "I rowed the Atlantic", if you actually had done that, instead of feeling constrained by "I got a first at my public law course work"
Certainly wouldn't be scared of something like that - *much* more interesting and likely to stick in the mind of the interviewer! :smile:
Original post by MRMDK
Has anybody heard from 9 St John Street in Manchester (apart from the criminal pupillage invites which are out)?

I am yet to hear anything; I applied for the employment pupillage.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MRMDK
Has anybody heard from 9 St John Street in Manchester (apart from the criminal pupillage invites which are out)?

Still haven't heard anything either way. Let's hope they are just taking their time over the non-criminal ones
Reply 1385
Original post by MRMDK

I applied there for a family/civil pupillage and haven't heard back. A friend of mine has an interview for family and another friend has an interview there for civil. As discussed above- you can't always trust the friend thing but it's very likely that they're telling the truth. As such there seems to be little hope unfortunately.

I'm going to give them a ring on Monday to enquire.
Reply 1386
Has anyone heard anything form 7 Bedford Row? Thanks!
Original post by Lawlad
Has anyone heard anything form 7 Bedford Row? Thanks!

No news yet for me either!
Reply 1388
Sorry to ask again, but: Has anyone had an interview at 4 Paper Buildings (family set)? Not sure what to expect or, thusly, how to prepare...
Original post by ell2011
Hey - New to the forum. Has anyone heard back from ARGENT or 1 GRAY'S INN SQUARE?

nowt from Argent, didn't apply to 1GIS
Original post by ell2011
Hey - New to the forum. Has anyone heard back from ARGENT or 1 GRAY'S INN SQUARE?

Nothing yet from 1GIS
Reply 1391
Rejections for 29 Bedford Row are out by e-mail and on PP.
Original post by Ewok
Rejections for 29 Bedford Row are out by e-mail and on PP.

Ditto
Reply 1393
Anyone who was rejected from 5 Essex Court - would you mind sending me their generic feedback by DM? They seem to have missed me off their mailing list for their bulk emails!
Reply 1394
Question to anyone that applied to the CPS .... has anyone not gotten through all of the online tests yet and been invited to complete each test?
Yes, I've got through every test so far, and have completed the most recent one. How can I help?
Reply 1396
Any one heard from St John in Bristol?
Re: 5 Essex Court Feedback

I've sent it to you in a few parts but it's well worth the read. I'm really impressed that they took time to give such detailed feedback.
Has anyone interviewed previously at 5 Paper Buildings?
Reply 1399
Original post by Lawrasawrus
Re: 5 Essex Court Feedback

I've sent it to you in a few parts but it's well worth the read. I'm really impressed that they took time to give such detailed feedback.

Thanks Lawrasawrus!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending