The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by dbou
I think what he said sounds about right. You get 2 hours of supervisions a week, 2 one hour long lectures six days a week, then about 30 hours on example sheets. Add in say 6 hours on sorting your notes and reading over them and that works out as roughly 7 hours a day. Of course that is every day, Thursday (the start of the week in Cambridge) through Wednesday. I would say from what I have seen most people do about this much, some a lot more, some a lot less :smile:

Really? 7 hours a day would be 5 hours on top of lectures each day, not 2-3 :p:
Reply 241
Original post by nuodai
In 1st year maths there are 2 supervisions per day for 6 days per week, and then 2nd/3rd year are roughly similar depending on your options (people usually do more I think).

Is this right?
To be invited into a drinking society do you have to be on a sports team? lol.
Reply 243
Original post by nuodai

Yes, my maths went a bit wrong there... I think the best advice we can give is that you are expected to do x hours of work a day, 0<x<=24.

Original post by deejayy
Is this right?

Nope, he meant 2 supervisions a week and 2 lectures a day 6 days a week :smile:
Hi, I was pooled and yesterday was given an offer by Catz. Very happy! Just wondering what you could tell me about the college. It looks very nice but obviously I knew a lot more about my chosen college. Like what's it's reputation/traditions etc? Thanks :smile:
Original post by maths134

Definitely not for the freshers' ones, they tend to be open but may have a limit on numbers if everyones really keen (then another one would start up too).

Some (maybe most?) 'proper' college drinking societies (as in open to all years) have requirements based around sport (at my college both the girls' and boys' have sporting requirements for sure, and I've swapped with others that do). Sports teams have their own swaps as well. But there are other societies that have swaps, so you can still go on them if you don't play sports. Probably not as many though...
What's the workload like for MML (given that one of my languages is ab initio)?

As above, Freshers' ones tend to let anyone in.
Original post by nuodai

I'm not counting sorting out notes and in any case i'm going by mathmos i've talked to, who may be underestimating. I think it's safer just to say that your mileage may vary depending on how hard you are willing to work but the quantity of work to be done is unquestionably a lot.
Original post by SParm
The banter on this thread amuses me xD...but can anyone tell me the general consensus about Robinson? I have an offer and I loved the feel of the place the two times I've been there (open day and interview)...but what do people actually at the college and at other colleges think of it?

i have an offer for robinson too!! :biggrin: i have literally been trawling the pages trying to find someone else who applied to robinson.

Nope freshers always have just plain old drinking societies with no other purpose but to go on swaps, there is no need to do a sport or anything else. :smile:
Original post by Deceiver
What's the workload like for MML (given that one of my languages is ab initio)?

I wrote this last year - might be of some use: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30774957&postcount=211

Basically, you can choose to do loads of extra reading/grammar/vocab work if you want and equally you can choose do the bare minimum and scrape by. I don't recommended doing either, but Cambridge really is what you make of it. My account above lies somewhere in between the two extremes; I worked reasonably hard and did a lot of extra-curric./social stuff and still managed to get a high 2.1 last year.

Don't stress about it - the workload is totally manageable, and it's very easy to still have a social life and get decent grades. :smile:
Original post by Kobie

jesus- keen.

Anything else about Jesus? I want to know what I'm getting myself into :smile:
Hey

A question about Choral Scholarships.
Do you need to be able to sight read?
Reply 254
Original post by anoushka1
Nope freshers always have just plain old drinking societies with no other purpose but to go on swaps, there is no need to do a sport or anything else. :smile:

what is a swap?
Original post by Mrs Cullen
I wrote this last year - might be of some use: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30774957&postcount=211

Basically, you can choose to do loads of extra reading/grammar/vocab work if you want and equally you can choose do the bare minimum and scrape by. I don't recommended doing either, but Cambridge really is what you make of it. My account above lies somewhere in between the two extremes; I worked reasonably hard and did a lot of extra-curric./social stuff and still managed to get a high 2.1 last year.

Don't stress about it - the workload is totally manageable, and it's very easy to still have a social life and get decent grades. :smile:

Hey

A question about Choral Scholarships.
Do you need to be able to sight read?
Reply 256
Seriously sad/ picky question, buuuuuut- do people normally wear helmets when on their bikes?
(Applied to/ offer from Girton, so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one!)
Original post by QuinStar
Seriously sad/ picky question, buuuuuut- do people normally wear helmets when on their bikes?
(Applied to/ offer from Girton, so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one!)

Some do, most don't. You wouldn't get laughed at for wearing one.
Reply 258
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Some do, most don't. You wouldn't get laughed at for wearing one.

Might do when I get really bad helmet hair :tongue:
Reply 259
Original post by Funkydory
how sporty is emmanual considered to be?

We're not a "sporty college", but we're not particularly un-sporty for our size either.
More specifically by sport:
Rowing: Reasonable for men, one of the top clubs in the university for women.
Football: Good teams for both men and women.
Rugby: Not one of the major powers of the college game, but I think heading upwards.
Hockey: Used to dominate, still pretty good.
I think we're quite good at netball as well.

Those are the college teams- there are also plenty of people who are on the university teams for both some of these and other smaller sports that don't have college teams.

As for facilities, we have a very large and well-equipped boathouse (for rowing) and apparently a nice sports ground (I've never been). There are also grass tennis courts in college in the summer, squash courts in college, and we've just got a college gym- though I use the gym in the boathouse.

Original post by simonoafc
Anything specific to Cambridge that anyone would recommend me taking to university in October?

Assuming you're male from your username:
Dark suit (you'll need this for matriculation), and possibly also a dinner jacket if you have one.
Some non-work books- very useful for destressing, and unless you like capital-L Literature college libraries are no good for pleasure reading.
A bicycle if you have one.
Tea, kettle, biscuits, door-wedge. These items are key to making friends in Freshers' week-- you can invite people round to your room for tea, and if you prop your door open people will come in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending