The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jumpnshoot
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you all know what are the weightages of the overseas interviews, TSA's MCQ and essay? How much do they take into consideration?

I just had my TSA and messed up my essay quite a fair bit, almost completely ): what are my remaining chances of getting into Cambridge?

Which subject is this for? I'm not familiar with overseas applications but my general perception for Economics was that grades are the most important, followed by interviews then everything else.
Original post by alex_hk90
Which subject is this for? I'm not familiar with overseas applications but my general perception for Economics was that grades are the most important, followed by interviews then everything else.

Yup, it's for Economics! Could do most of the questions in interview with 2 mistakes, but my essay went bad was as good as not writing anything imo, got me really freaked out haha
Original post by jumpnshoot
Yup, it's for Economics! Could do most of the questions in interview with 2 mistakes, but my essay went bad was as good as not writing anything imo, got me really freaked out haha

What were the question topics? I know youre not allowed to give the exact question.

Also, what would you say the economics/maths split was like? More maths than econ talk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!

Is it normal to not be able to answer (but getting close to answering) a question at interview?

Would they see it as a bad thing if I wasn't able to answer, despite being given hints?

Original post by SkatyBoy
Hey guys!

Is it normal to not be able to answer (but getting close to answering) a question at interview?

Would they see it as a bad thing if I wasn't able to answer, despite being given hints?

Don't worry, interview questions are designed to be incredibly difficult to answer. The more important thing they're trying to find out is your thought process behind answering the question, more than any actual answer itself.
I just wondered, as HSPS is so broad, what would the interview be like? Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just an ignorant Y12 . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even for maths? If you get the method no issues ismt that good?
Original post by FanaticEV
Even for maths? If you get the method no issues ismt that good?

The kind of questions you get asked in a maths interview (I did maths at Cambridge) aren't the kind that you can easily just give the answer to. They're more like university level multi-step questions, with very little guidance given.
Original post by around
The kind of questions you get asked in a maths interview (I did maths at Cambridge) aren't the kind that you can easily just give the answer to. They're more like university level multi-step questions, with very little guidance given.

What could you do to prepare and what would you have done slightly better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by around

I had oxford maths interviews last year and the questions werent exactly multistep. They were like quickfire questions where they seemed to just expect you to know it or not. And i got an offer..

I assumed cambridge maths interviews would have been the same as oxford ones
I know this has been asked before, but has anyone who has made an open application received an email about the college they were allocated to? Because I have submitted my saq on the 16th and have not heard back since. Should I email them? I am starting to become quite anxious...
Reply 6811
Original post by AndreaB96
I know this has been asked before, but has anyone who has made an open application received an email about the college they were allocated to? Because I have submitted my saq on the 16th and have not heard back since. Should I email them? I am starting to become quite anxious...

I made an open application. Emailed central office a week ago and was contacted by the college a few days after that.
Original post by TJLJT
I made an open application. Emailed central office a week ago and was contacted by the college a few days after that.

Thanks! I will do the same and hopefully get an answer soon.
Original post by FanaticEV
I had oxford maths interviews last year and the questions werent exactly multistep. They were like quickfire questions where they seemed to just expect you to know it or not. And i got an offer..

I assumed cambridge maths interviews would have been the same as oxford ones

Oxford have the MAT which acts more like the Cambridge interview process for maths. For Cambridge, the interview questions are longer. There are sample videos online for Cambridge maths interviews, which are quite informative.

Original post by EHZ17
What could you do to prepare and what would you have done slightly better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you know all the modules that you've done so far inside and out, and maybe do some practice above A-level maths questions to make yourself more comfortable with not immediately knowing the answer to a question.
Reply 6814
Why cant you apply for Oxford AND Cambridge? I read this on Cambridge web site.
Original post by Shahid786

Because they don't want you to.

Presumably because it would throw off their admissions processes. They put a load of resources into selecting people on the assumption that the vast majority of people who are given an offer will accept that offer.
Original post by around
Oxford have the MAT which acts more like the Cambridge interview process for maths. For Cambridge, the interview questions are longer. There are sample videos online for Cambridge maths interviews, which are quite informative.

Make sure you know all the modules that you've done so far inside and out, and maybe do some practice above A-level maths questions to make yourself more comfortable with not immediately knowing the answer to a question.

I wouldnt agree with that description of MAT so far. Having talked to some of the admissions people it seems that the interview is the deciding factor and MAT used to deselect half the field before interview. MAT only becomes important when you have a very good score like 80+ which is rare. For the majority of offer holders, the decisions will have been made largely based on interview performance. So it surprises me that the cambridge interview questions are seemingly quite different in style/difficulty compared to the Oxford ones. Tbh i think theres probably alot of various among colleges between and within the unis so most colleges have a different process
Original post by Shahid786

Pretty much everyone would then apply to both and then they'd have to organise double the interviews without a significant change in intake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by around

Thanks! One question, where can I find above A level maths content that would be suitable? Maths is a pretty large subject :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending