The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by louisjevans
can you get in if you get a B at gcse (literature)

I just got in for Law at Magdalene with two Bs at GCSE!
Do you have to participate in sports to get into cambridge? i dont play any sports.
Reply 982
Original post by louisjevans
Do you have to participate in sports to get into cambridge? i dont play any sports.

No.
Original post by zxh800
No.

good
Original post by Cavzy
Hi. I was just wondering if most people from Cambridge are like social outcasts because although my dad went there, he's a pretty sociable confident guy but my brother is there at the moment and it seems like hes really popular which is strange because hes well awkward. When I went up to see him last year all the people i saw seemed so weird or shy or something. I know there will be some exceptions but was just wondering if theres any point in an outgoing person going there?

No. Please don't come.
Reply 985
Original post by generalebriety
No. Please don't come.

So your at cambridge? and your completely normal...lol
Guys, do you know whether one can buy a matriculation gown used? and if so, what would be the best way to do so? search on fb for cambridge groups, ask at college when I'll arrive ,perhaps even tsr?
Reply 987
Original post by Cavzy
Hi. I was just wondering if most people from Cambridge are like social outcasts because although my dad went there, he's a pretty sociable confident guy but my brother is there at the moment and it seems like hes really popular which is strange because hes well awkward. When I went up to see him last year all the people i saw seemed so weird or shy or something. I know there will be some exceptions but was just wondering if theres any point in an outgoing person going there?

Original post by Cavzy
So your at cambridge? and your completely normal...lol

Oh my actual God.

he's
I
there's
you're
Cambridge

All of these are KS2 errors.

As is thinking that at a University with nearly 20,000 students (undergrad+postgrad), everyone's going to be socially inept.

You're ridiculous, please don't come.
Original post by RechtsDerIsar
Guys, do you know whether one can buy a matriculation gown used? and if so, what would be the best way to do so? search on fb for cambridge groups, ask at college when I'll arrive ,perhaps even tsr?

Yes, you can buy them through your college. That said, they're not that expensive considering you use them for formals too. Mine was £50, but over the course of three years (and a hundred formals), it's really quite cheap! :p: I'm not sure how the second-hand ones compare in terms of price, but they tend to vary in quality. Some can look quite tatty. :dontknow:
So do people often arrive before term time?
Original post by maths134
So do people often arrive before term time?

Nah, if you want to go early, you have to let the college know. It's mainly international students who don't bother going home over the vacation who are around before term starts, although you can stay on outside of term time "for academic reasons" (I think you have to get your DoS to vouch for you). Any reason for asking? :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Nah, if you want to go early, you have to let the college know. It's mainly international students who don't bother going home over the vacation who are around before term starts, although you can stay on outside of term time "for academic reasons" (I think you have to get your DoS to vouch for you). Any reason for asking? :smile:

Do you think they would allow you to attend some lectures before the start of the term?
Do you think they would allow you to attend some lectures before the start of the term?

Erm...I'm not sure I understand the question. We all move in on Saturday/Sunday, then term "officially" starts on the Tuesday. Lectures start on that Thursday, unless you're some kind of scientist - don't ask which kinds, since I don't know. :p: If you're an offer holder (soon to be a fresher, I mean), you'll have introductory lectures on Thursday and Friday, and the main lectures start after the weekend.
Erm...I'm not sure I understand the question. We all move in on Saturday/Sunday, then term "officially" starts on the Tuesday. Lectures start on that Thursday, unless you're some kind of scientist - don't ask which kinds, since I don't know. :p: If you're an offer holder (soon to be a fresher, I mean), you'll have introductory lectures on Thursday and Friday, and the main lectures start after the weekend.

I'm a 2012 fresher and on a gap year at the moment and just wondered whether they would allow to attend some lectures, not necessarily related to my subject, before October. Common sense says no, but on the other hand it's Cambridge:rolleyes:

Ok so although camb terms are shorter you arrive like 3/4 days before terms officially start?
--
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm a 2012 fresher and on a gap year at the moment and just wondered whether they would allow to attend some lectures, not necessarily related to my subject, before October. Common sense says no, but on the other hand it's Cambridge:rolleyes:

That's the thing - there aren't any lectures before October! :nah:

Original post by maths134
Ok so although camb terms are shorter you arrive like 3/4 days before terms officially start?

Yep, that's right. We also leave just after term ends. Since the week starts on a Thursday (note that some supervisors don't buy into this), the last lectures are on Wednesday, you have DoS meetings on Friday (I think :erm:) and then you leave on Friday night/Saturday morning. :smile:

Original post by Alice...:)
I've been so excited about going to uni and being able to do my own food shopping but I got the impression that most people just but meals in the college (Selwyn). Is this true? If I do want to buy my wn food would i have anywhere to cook it?
Also, what's Selwyn like socially? I'm slightly worried because it's renowned for being academic (according to my mum :wink:) :s.
I wish Selwyn had a bit more of a reputation so I'd no what to expect :frown:

Aha, a fellow lawyer. :beard: Well, I can't comment on the catering aspect, but you've got awesome Fellows at Selwyn (two of whom are lecturing me at the moment and they're absolutely brilliant :love:). Selwyn does have a reputation for being quite academic, but from my experience, people are very friendly and it doesn't strike me as stuffy in the slightest. :h:
Reply 997

That's the thing - there aren't any lectures before October! :nah:

I think he means lectures during this year- as in, would a future student be able to catch a lecture or two if he or she wanted to without being a member of the unversity yet! :smile:
Original post by lk2011
I think he means lectures during this year- as in, would a future student be able to catch a lecture or two if he or she wanted to without being a member of the unversity yet! :smile:

Oh, I see. :facepalm2:

To be honest, probably not. In theory, there is provision for you to ask someone (not sure who) at the Faculty and it's up to them, but I suspect that that exception to the general "no members of the public" rule is only in place so that they can run things like the Cambridge Law Conference. It's worth asking though, if you're really keen - the worst that can happen is they say no... :dontknow:
--
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending