The Student Room Group

OCR A2 'Drama and Poetry pre-1800' 20th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeSacMagique
Yeah on both. I think 5-8 sounds a bit excessive.

Yeah that is a lot! My teachers say around about 3/4 is perfectly fine, so long as you hit all the AOs :smile:
Reply 41
Hey, person I definitely don't know at all - if you try asking your teacher sweetly then they might tell you since moderation is now over and done with I think. Mr Day told me what I got today. It's all a bit hush hush though.

oh you clever you... what did you say to him to find out? did you go into school?
Original post by cerrr
oh you clever you... what did you say to him to find out? did you go into school?

Sent him a cheeky email asking him if he'd be willing (since he'd apparently told someone else in our class) - he didn't reply, probably because he doesn't want there to be evidence, but he told me when I passed him in English yesterday. And yeah I went into school - I've been coming back in to revise anyway
Reply 43
Shakespeare's 5/10/10/5 and the comparison's 5/5/10/10.

Hey so would that be according to the AOs?
AO1 - 5
A02 - 10
AO3 - 10
AO4 - 5
Original post by mkigz77
Hey so would that be according to the AOs?
AO1 - 5
A02 - 10
AO3 - 10
AO4 - 5

Yep
Reply 45
Yep

okay cool thankx for that. Do u know the marks for section B?
Original post by mkigz77
okay cool thankx for that. Do u know the marks for section B?

Um yeah they're in my original post you quoted, 5/5/10/10 :tongue:
Reply 47
Um yeah they're in my original post you quoted, 5/5/10/10 :tongue:

lol they actually were - i have a habit of misreading things :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Original post by thethinker
I'm doing Othello and Paradise Lost/ Dr F :smile:

Hey mate, im struggling quite a lot on comparisons between paradise lost and faustus. Have you got any notes/resources that might be helpful? would appreciate it alot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Hi, I am also doing Dr Faustus/Pardoner for the comparison but unlike most people here I have Twelfth Night for section A. Anyone has any information (or guesses) as to what theme/character might come up in the exam for Twelfth Night?
Reply 50
Hey everyone I'm also doing Othello and Faustus/Pardoner's. Does anyone know of any good websites for othello? I need some more context/themes and stuff as we mostly did analysis of the text in our lessons
Original post by snow leopard
After a very successful thread last year on the AS exam for English Lit, I thought I'd do one for A2 (a bit early in case I forget). A quick scroll through that previous thread shows the highlights being: my five predictions on the poems, which were knocked down to four by HolyFuzazzle; then three by agoetcherian; leavemebehind correctly suggesting the theme of the poem (Apologia, which everyone favoured) that came up; Oklii reiterating the AO's; LeSaqMagique destroying essay length misconceptions, etc etc.

Now to let those posters know of this thread.

Spoiler

Obviously not now but near June I hope you'll all return to this thread to discuss revision for this exam (if you've continued on to A2, that is).

Quite honoured that I was mentioned in this post to begin with, but I didn't see it to begin with, so I guess I'm a bit of a late comer.

I'm doing Othello and Faustus/Pardoner. Any suggestions of questions to come up yet? I've been reliably informed that the hot topic would be race for Othello, but I have a feeling that the exam board might be trying to prove a point by saying that Othello is about so much more than just race, and not bring it at all. Regardless, I'm planning race questions.

And roughly how many critic quotes have people been told to put in? I've been told around three, but the other class in my school were told to put like 6 in each essay, which is just crazy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by agoetcherian
Quite honoured that I was mentioned in this post to begin with, but I didn't see it to begin with, so I guess I'm a bit of a late comer.

I'm doing Othello and Faustus/Pardoner. Any suggestions of questions to come up yet? I've been reliably informed that the hot topic would be race for Othello, but I have a feeling that the exam board might be trying to prove a point by saying that Othello is about so much more than just race, and not bring it at all. Regardless, I'm planning race questions.

And roughly how many critic quotes have people been told to put in? I've been told around three, but the other class in my school were told to put like 6 in each essay, which is just crazy.

Hey,

I'm doing the same texts as you. I'm also thinking race, even the possibility that the question would be around the fact that race plays little role in the downfall of the character. Or is not race, specifically Othello as a question hasn't come up on solely him and this is the last year they're running this spec.

For critics I usually get 3 in, am I right in thinking the AO's are 5, 10, 10, 5 for Othello and 5, 5, 10, 10 for Faustus/Pardoner? Either way, 10 marks for other readings/theories/it could be this or it could be that's is pretty heavy.
Reply 53
Original post by SalC

For critics I usually get 3 in, am I right in thinking the AO's are 5, 10, 10, 5 for Othello and 5, 5, 10, 10 for Faustus/Pardoner? Either way, 10 marks for other readings/theories/it could be this or it could be that's is pretty heavy.

I think that in terms of critics you can't say, 'I usually put this many in' because then doesn't it seem rather forced, just like you are trying to tick the boxes. I think it's important that it sounds natural rather than just dumped in because you think you should have criticisms.
Having said that I usually put in at least one per main point, whether it be a quote or a reference to a production.
Reply 54
Original post by cerrr
I think that in terms of critics you can't say, 'I usually put this many in' because then doesn't it seem rather forced, just like you are trying to tick the boxes. I think it's important that it sounds natural rather than just dumped in because you think you should have criticisms.
Having said that I usually put in at least one per main point, whether it be a quote or a reference to a production.

Well I am trying to check the boxes - I find other readings and comparisons easier than learning critics so I usually try and remember 3 or 4 that can be relevant to a range of themes and weave them in where appropriate.

How many main points would you usually make for each text?
Personally I'm struggling with critics for Faustus/Pardoner... I know having different readings and such doesn't have such a huge weighting as it does in Othello, but still. It just seems so much harder than last year, I'm nervous about this exam =/
Reply 56
Original post by SalC
Well I am trying to check the boxes - I find other readings and comparisons easier than learning critics so I usually try and remember 3 or 4 that can be relevant to a range of themes and weave them in where appropriate.

How many main points would you usually make for each text?

Depends on the question really. I like to have three main ideas in the body of the essay but that can break into other points as well, depending on the essay title.
Anyone doing the Rover and John Donne?
Original post by Harry.K
Hey mate, im struggling quite a lot on comparisons between paradise lost and faustus. Have you got any notes/resources that might be helpful? would appreciate it alot.

Sorry I don't have any notes, just annotations in my book.

There's quite a lot to compare the two texts thematically eg. hell, religion, heroism. sin, heaven, pride, ambition, appearance vs reality
Reply 59
Original post by Palv
Hi, I am also doing Dr Faustus/Pardoner for the comparison but unlike most people here I have Twelfth Night for section A. Anyone has any information (or guesses) as to what theme/character might come up in the exam for Twelfth Night?

I'm also doing Twelfth Night. Looking at the past papers most major characters have already come up except for Olivia which looks really likely although I don't want to rely on that too much. For a theme, possibly madness? or melancholy? It could be anything really. What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending