The Student Room Group

I'm dropping out of sixth form...how to tell my mum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Makkz
I realise the wasted effort and it is truly wasted because there is none left. There is no effort left for me to get those straight As. If I was a bothered I would stay.

I don't have the willpower as I just start revising the morning of my exam, so what's the point of that?

Im sure you could manage Cs revising the morning before! i know people that did.
and C+ are fine grade to have
What are you planning to do once you've dropped out?
I know this isn't what you want to here but its 5 months. The job market is awful at the moment and by sticking it out for the next 5 months could really improve your oppurtunities once you've left.
Not that im endorsing dropping out but it seems like you have your mind well and tryly set so I thought I would give you some advice about life without levels. I myself had a tough time in sixth form but I stuck it out and did go to Uni in the end. However I know a lot of people that didnt. Have you considered other education options. YOu can apply to sit alevels at college rather than at your school so you can leave this year, start afresh and still get your qualifications. If there is something specific you wanted to do you could do an apprentiship or college course which doesnt require alevels just GCSEs. You can get places in life without them (although admitted it is harder) so really think what you want out of life in the next 40 years. Trust me when i say i let the social side of school affect my alevels and it messed up my plans. Dont worry about everyone else, including your parents, do it for you but remember you cannot survive in this society without a job (at least you shouldnt be relying on the state) and your decisions now will affect your life. If you dont want to do alevels set yourself up for something else but dont give up on education. Your'll find it a lot harder without it and your unlikely to walk into a job atm. Hope that helps!
Reply 23
Do you have a firm plan for what you'd do if you dropped out?
With high youth unemployment at the moment, what makes you think that you'll just be able to walk into a desirable job?
You sound just like me last year. I almost dropped out in year 13 because I thought I would fail. In the end I stuck at it, got 3 B's and I may be going to uni this september. Dropping out would have been the biggest mistake of my life. Ive been searching for jobs for a while now and there is literally nothing. If I didnt have a levels I would be seriously depressed atm - I would have wasted a year and be in college redoing them right now while everyone else my age has moved on.

OP, stick it out and get some a Levels, just so that you have the option, because having them is better than not having them.
I really would listen to others that have already posted and stick it out for the last five months.I know its hard but really you have to suck it up.It seems you want us to tell you to leave,to encourage hat you already feel when most people who have posted are not going to do that.I've felt like dropping out before but I've realised it would be even harder to find a job with little qualifications and my situation would be even harder with harder problems that just school work.
Okay is here your two realistic options

1. Stick it for 5 months, get your results, talk to friends and family about how you feel then. With half decent A level grades you either work full time or got University.
2. Don't it out for 5 months, don't get your results, talk to friends and family about how you feel now. With no A level grades you look for a full time job.

Option 2, how easy do you think it will getting a job? you have UNI GRADUATES who can't get a job for half a year or more. Why not be smart and look for a job while you stay on studying A level. If a good job comes within a month or two then drop out. I know people who are slugging themselves back and forth from the Job centre. The decent jobs that you will want, if you aiming to get anywhere in life, require some decent A levels to beat the competition. Unless you plan on serving Burgers and chips for the rest of your life? in case pick option 2, but If not option 1.Think ahead you could be setting up yourself with a lifetime of regret.

Oh and seriously, having no friends? take it from some one who wanted to leave University in the first few weeks because he felt he had no good friends. Fast forward three months and not only have I got loads of good friends. I laugh (as well as cringe) at the thought that I once allowed the fear of having none, interfere with the academic purpose of being there in the first place!

Friends come and go, your academic results however stay with you for a lifetime. THINK ABOUT THAT!

----------------------------
Original post by mistermeowingtons
With high youth unemployment at the moment, what makes you think that you'll just be able to walk into a desirable job?
Exactly.

Original post by Makkz
I do not need any persuasion as to why I should stay on at Sixth Form. I have already weighed the pros and cons of my situation and have decided already, I'm leaving! I'm quite shocked I didn't jump off a bridge or set my bedroom on fire . . . TL;DR - I seriously want to drop out of sixth form right now. How do I do it, who should I tell and how do I tell my strict mum?
Talk to your local GP, perhaps he or she can help you with your depression. Because you are obviously not thinking straight.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you what to do - I'm not, but what you described is how I have felt about my GCSEs, my A-levels and my degree - I've not enjoyed any of it. The past five years have simply been a means to an end - getting a degree. But in 5 months I'll be in a position to take some time out, have a holiday, look for a graduate job and potentially have a better standard of living than I would have if I'd quit the education system years ago. Sometimes you have to do things you dislike in the short term for the sake of the long term. It's entirely your choice but finding a job with only GCSE's and expecting to have enough money for your own flat is a bit naive. I can't even afford a one bed flat after graduation so I don't know how you will.
There's no shame in dropping out, many people do it but most earlier on. Check out summer courses you can attend to gain some qualifications (night classes etc) that'll help.

As for your mum, tell her you dont like the idea of university and A levels are a waste of time that you could be earning and learning skills your going to use. Tell her your 100% certain and you've decided ages ago and didn't want to disappoint her. If she says tough, back-hand her across the face.
Reply 30
Original post by Makkz

I will find a job and off I will go rent a studio, I know for certain that the schooling system is not the only way to success. It will be my mission to prove the naysayers wrong.

You've got it wrong, it's the higher education system that is not the only way to success....everybody needs to finish up to a high-school level. There are many very successful people in the world that haven't gone to uni (probably most of them), but they all finished high school/a-levels/college.

If you don't finish your a-levels/college then you'll lack the basic skills needed for a decent job to make a decent living, your almost making yourself a caveman in the modern world. You can only really absorb early things easily when your young (especially things like languages) and unlike not going to university, theres no going back.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and at work we have a technician that ran away from home when he was 15, and like you decided to be a high school drop-out. He's now about 45ish and is doing a job that an 18 year old with a decent set of a-levels could do. He also seriously lacks social skills, and has an oddly angry personality that I can only think is the result of his terrible choices.

I think your leaving school because you want the easy route, but honestly your only fooling yourself because your going to be making the rest of your life very difficult, both socially and financially. Telling your mother isn't going to be easy either. If you really want to leave, you'll need to tell her and man up to the yelling at your face any good mother would be very angry & upset at something like this.

If you can't be bothered to even take your morning exams, do you really think you'll be bothered to go to work, become successful or do anything with your life?

Looks like the HMRC can add another lazy-ass benefits maggot to their books.
To be honest, i'm not tryin to be insulting but a lot of the people on this site are people that have desires to reach higher level education and they'll just tell you to keep at it.

I think the problem these days is we lack the enthusiastic common workers and unskilled workers are being stereotyped into being wasters.

A long as your determined to work, go for it.
Reply 32
If you really want to drop out of A levels then fine, do it. But do you have set in stone plans for what you're going to do? What job are going to get? What job will take you on with just GCSEs? Do you have any work experience, any reason why a job would take you on when there are so many more applicants who have A levels and more applying?
I'm not trying to discourage you. But you need to think this through very carefully before you quit. Quitting is easy by the way, I did it myself and I just had to go to the office and ask for a form. They send you to a few people to "chat" about it but if you fill in the form you're done. What you do after quitting is the hard part. I've spent the last two years looking for a job with no luck at all.
Can you write out a plan of exactly what you're going to do once you've quit? Write down: Who you are going to apply for jobs with (you'll be applying to several people). Make sure you have an up to date, well written CV, and are ready to go to numerous interviews. Write down what you will do if you don't find a job. Will your mum be ok with you hanging around doing nothing? Will you go and get a volunteer job (looks good as experience)?
You say you want to get a studio flat, ok, well do you have any savings? Work that out, work out the costs and all that. You'll probably have to be working for quite a while before you have the stability to rent anywhere. It's not cheap, but there are lots of threads in the Money section with living cost estimates you can check out.

Before doing ANYTHING, make sure it's all planned out. Otherwise you could drop out and end up sitting around doing nothing. That is not good. If you have a depressed mindset already then this will be very hard. Motivation when you are depressed is nearly non-existant. But if you can do it, then great. Just make sure you have all eventualities planned out. It will NOT be easy. But good luck with it if you do!
Reply 33
If you think that spending 5 months of your life is a waste of time, maybe you should consider that 15 years of education have been leading up to your A level examinations. Not doing something just because there is a chance of failure is idiotic.
If you were my child I would want to know that you are feeling so sad ( and angry I think). I would echo the previous posters in that you should finish your A levels. but you seem determined to give up. I can understand that. I did the same, got a job in Asda and realised after a year that I had to do something positive. I didn't go to university until I was on my late twenties and that was evening college.
I suspect that you have actually stopped working for your A levels and are on some sort of self destruct path. You must tell your mother, but before you do, have a plan. It will give her something positive to work with.

If you were my child, I would suggest you take a year out and go overseas. Get a job working with a travel company, do a ski season, pick grapes. Work as a waiter; learn a foreign language in the process and have some fun. A year spent doing something useful like this will go down well with any employer, sixth form college, uni; etc

If you get a job in this country without any real plan, you are looking at doing the job until you are 65 ( or whenever the govt lets us retire)

Recognise that you are depressed - there is no shame in this. I wish you all the best - you are young and we all do mad things. You can have no regrets at this age
Reply 35
You've weighed up the pros and cons???

Well I think your scale is broken because I fail to imagine how there are more pros for dropping out of sixth form than for staying...and more cons for staying than dropping out.
Reply 36
Original post by redferry
whats the point? its just 5 months then you are done :s-smilie: after all that work already... i mean lets face it its really not hard to get a few Cs at a-level, so just aim a little lower if you cant be bothered to put the work in!

Its impossible to get a C in A level if you are not born with a good brain. I have done AS two times and got all U and now I am doing it this January.
Reply 37
Why don't you just do your A-Levels as a private candidate?
Reply 38
Every one dont have a friend and atleast you can get in to a university if you even get an E, I mean I am guessing you are from UK.
Original post by Markos
Just have this this conversation:

Mum, I don't know what to do... I've been seeing this girl for a few months and got her pregnant. Do you think we should keep the baby?

LOL jk I'm leaving sixth form.

I'm sure she will be relieved.

That's a great shout

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending