The Student Room Group

Things you wish you had know to bring to Uni

Just a list for all Uni students to enlighten us going to Uni of what you wish you had remembered to bring or wish you could of brought.
Could be anything, slippers to alcohol to food.
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

more money
to be honest booze should be the last thing on your mind, money,books,coursebooks, equipment, some stuff from home and somewere to live is what you need
Reply 3
Atleast x3 of all cutlery/utensils - they will go missing.
yeh weve had tonnes missing + food
Reply 5
More teabags
can get hundreds from poundshop..dnt worry bout teabags
Reply 7
Doorstop
Reply 8
The summer before I started uni, I started joining my mum on her Tesco shop and bought things like washing powder, fabric softener, antibacterial wipes, ketchup, kitchen roll, toilet roll, handwash, tin foil, toothpaste. Things like that almost always have one brand on special offer, so over the course of a few weekends, I had stocked up well :smile: I bought one those big blue reusable bags from Tesco too, to put all my bargains in. Just so when you start food shopping at uni, you won't have all that to carry back to your flat - or if you get delivery, you'll already have spread the cost and won't have to bother.

And earplugs. TAKE EARPLUGS.
Extra blankets.
and remember Toilet roll
Coat hangers.
Reply 12
Original post by AJ2890
Doorstop

Yes!!! The one thing I never thought to bring and is really useful - chances are your door to your room will be a fire door so will shut unless you have something to prop it open. And in freshers it's always a good idea to have an open door whilst you're unpacking so you can meet people :smile:
Reply 13
toilet paper! even if you buy it communally as a flat or whatever, when it runs out nobody will buy any for ages simply BECAUSE it's communal, and nobody can be arsed to take responsibility

have a private stash for such occasions :smile:

i also agree with earplugs and more mugs because ours have mostly disappeared within months

and a good spice/herb range if you like cooking - it's amazing how much it expands your repertoire :smile:
Ear plugs, for when your neighbour decides to play dubstep at all hours of the night.
Reply 15
Earplugs, seconded. I brought them and they've been a life saver, wear them a hell of a lot.
lots of going out clothes
Reply 17
Earplugs. Extra teaspoons - for some reasons all my flats teaspoons just dissappear constantly? Old spare phone, and a basic stash of food to leave in a draw for when you can't be bothered to cook and are down becuase you have no food in, but then you remember your stash! (i.e tinned soup, beans, supernoodles etc.)
a big resuable bag to take all your stuff to the washroom with-trying to use lots of plastic bags is a difficult process believe me!
Reply 19
is it best for the first week to bring with you everything you need rather than going to a local shop?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending