The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cisne
i wrote something like tht bt relating t newton's 3rd law:s-smilie:

its law of intertia (first law)
imagine ur dad driving the car,he applies brakes.....thus decelerating......you will fall forward,thats why you have seat belts
Reply 141
for the one where lawnmower. It requires greater force as the handle is horizontal and you are not applying any force at angle so requires greater force to push it.
Is this right?

for the question of turbine where it asks you to find the volume of air passing through the turbine in 5 seconds. the question after that where you are asked to find the mass of air are we expected to use the volume calculated in previous question in 5 seconds or to find the new volume just using 2000m2 and velocity which was in meters per second.
For the last bit of the same question related to turbine with 59% efficiency what did you guys do?
did you get answer some where around 1500W some zeros can't remember how many zeros?
Reply 142
Original post by Natty.B

Original post by Natty.B
there was a question where it asked why the ball will travel over the net, what was your responses?

I wrote something like the ball follows parabolic path from the bat to the point just before the net after that it rebounds and again follows parabolic path to the other side of the net. Since the question asked about how the direction of spin helps the ball i also said that the direction of spin is towards the direction of air flow where the flow was laminar as a result the ball moves with constant velocity through out its motion.
don't know if this is right.
Reply 143
Original post by subzero0137

Original post by subzero0137
I wrote that the downward force arises from the high pressure/density area above the ball, since the air-flow was moving up...I think.

I wrote the same as it is said by Bernoulli's theorem or something.
So on the train question if you explained the third laws effect, how many marks would you lose definitively? :frown:
wow i failed then lol.
Reply 146
Original post by vampirerahim
Well i guess i am the only one :O who found it easy
i got raped back in june

i am expecting an A this time thoe

The 2 mark question regarding the spinning ball just got me thinkin and em not sure bot it
else my calculations were all right :biggrin: (which never happnd when i practised papers)

Same here! i found the paper pretty ok as well... wasnt really bad..
Reply 147
Original post by AS01
I wrote something like the ball follows parabolic path from the bat to the point just before the net after that it rebounds and again follows parabolic path to the other side of the net. Since the question asked about how the direction of spin helps the ball i also said that the direction of spin is towards the direction of air flow where the flow was laminar as a result the ball moves with constant velocity through out its motion.
don't know if this is right.

I am not sure about the tennis ball question as well..
I said the ball needed turbulent flow for it to move from one region to another as it it moves at laminar flow then it would move straight, which is not the correct direction..
I said turbulent flow allows ball to move in eddies form from a region which has high pressure to a region where there is low pressure :frown:
Is this okkk ?
Original post by aqua05
I am not sure about the tennis ball question as well..
I said the ball needed turbulent flow for it to move from one region to another as it it moves at laminar flow then it would move straight, which is not the correct direction..
I said turbulent flow allows ball to move in eddies form from a region which has high pressure to a region where there is low pressure :frown:
Is this okkk ?

2 marks
Horizontal component is the reason it passes over the net
Vertical component is the reason it hits the table on the other side
Hence parabolic
Original post by AS01
for the one where lawnmower. It requires greater force as the handle is horizontal and you are not applying any force at angle so requires greater force to push it.
Is this right?

for the question of turbine where it asks you to find the volume of air passing through the turbine in 5 seconds. the question after that where you are asked to find the mass of air are we expected to use the volume calculated in previous question in 5 seconds or to find the new volume just using 2000m2 and velocity which was in meters per second.
For the last bit of the same question related to turbine with 59% efficiency what did you guys do?
did you get answer some where around 1500W some zeros can't remember how many zeros?

Almost there. :biggrin:
Its like the long handle acttached to the lawnmoer is still diagonal,so there will be vertical and horizontal forces applied.However the horizontal handle,decerease the angle,hence less force is required to move it
Original post by aqua05
Same here! i found the paper pretty ok as well... wasnt really bad..

WOHOOO :biggrin:
All the best :biggrin:
Reply 151
WOHOOO :biggrin:
All the best :biggrin:

Whats the answer to the lawnmower one ??
Reply 152
Original post by Conan
I has a serious time issue. I had about 30 mins to do about half of the paper so I just wrote a load of rubbish. :sad:

Me too. The exam was very very very long and I didn't finish the last question :/ Ahh!
Original post by aqua05
Whats the answer to the lawnmower one ??

the horizontal handle ?
Its cause its angle is reduced.
There still will be a vertical force acting also since the whole thing connected to the moer is in a diagonal.
So writting that theres the only force applied is horizontal is absurd.
So as far as i think its the angle is reduced
the horizontal handle ?
Its cause its angle is reduced.
There still will be a vertical force acting also since the whole thing connected to the moer is in a diagonal.
So writting that theres the only force applied is horizontal is absurd.
So as far as i think its the angle is reduced

How do you think it will effect the total horizontal force supplied towards the bottom of the handle?
I think that the new design of handle will need more force to move the same distance than the previous design.
Not sure of my answer though.
Well i guess i am the only one :O who found it easy
i got raped back in june

i am expecting an A this time thoe

The 2 mark question regarding the spinning ball just got me thinkin and em not sure bot it
else my calculations were all right :biggrin: (which never happnd when i practised papers)

How many UMS are you expecting?
I should also easily get an A but my aim of getting 120/120 looks too far, so i will have to accept something in the range of 105-110.
Reply 156
Original post by raheem94
How do you think it will effect the total horizontal force supplied towards the bottom of the handle?
I think that the new design of handle will need more force to move the same distance than the previous design.
Not sure of my answer though.

Even i think you will require more force!
Original post by raheem94
How many UMS are you expecting?
I should also easily get an A but my aim of getting 120/120 looks too far, so i will have to accept something in the range of 105-110.

I am expecting around 110 as well :biggrin:
Is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere.
? I want to see just how much I failed :3
Original post by AS01
Is this right?

for the last one, asking for the efficiency of the power,

I mulitiplied the total work done by 0.41, to reduce the value by that to get the 59% efficiency.

Then I worked out the power by dividing by the time which they gave.

what did you do?

also, this papers was total different from past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending