University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

University Of Buckingham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Christof135
Hi every1. Am starting here in July studying law, wondering if anyone else is in the same posish? Also I've scoured the forums for info about the Uni nightlife and pubs an clubs and ratios of girls to boys and house parties and Su parties and societies and the intensity of the course and the social background of the majority of students and the number of Home students as compared to international students and freshers week and what it entails etc...blablabla...you get the idea? However my finding have Ben inconclusive and diverse and people tend to be apart on these things. Wondering if there is any1 on here or knows any1 preferably studying law who can get near to answering my delicious number of questions!!!??? Thanks!

Hi I'm starting in July but to study English. Have you visted the campus? Where will you be coming from?
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by CC2010
Would just like to clarify that the nightlife in Wycombe is not as stone cold dead as it's been made out to be. YES, there are other amazing uni's with amazing nightlifes and YES, it's not mind blowing fantastic.. but - it does the job.

The SU (student union) is really good with free entry, cheap drinks and good music. There's also Pure and Yates which tend to be a Monday and Tuesday night. There's also a fair selection of pubs in case you're in the mood for that. Don't forget you also have house parties, block parties, a cineworld and bowling... It's not awful, it does the job and there is SOME stuff to do!

ETA: For special occassions, we tend to go into Beaconsfield (Revs), London, Watford Oceana or MK every now and again for a change.

so what do u study? im starting this september to do economics and french. what are the boys like?
Reply 62
the Uni nightlife and pubs an clubs

Just look through this thread, I have offered a fair assessment of them already.

and ratios of girls to boys

I suspect there are more guys than girls, but it really doesn't matter. You will be doing law which is not like engineering where such a ratio would be obvious in day-to-day life.

and house parties and Su parties and societies and the intensity of the course

House parties are up to the people you meet. There are less students at this university than others so they won't be on such a grand scale. SU parties are truly abysmal, and I have also covered those in this thread already. Basically you pay to dance in the school cafeteria. Organising your own events is far, far better.

and the social background of the majority of students

Nigerian. For reals.

... and the number of Home students as compared to international students

Mostly international, with a large Nigerian presence due to the university having connections to schools there. The university is getting a more mainstream following (like the Guardian table this year) though so the number of home students is increasing I would say.

and freshers week and what it entails etc...

Freshers week is only a few days, and it is simply university run events such as SU parties and a pub crawl around the town which usually visits about 3-4 pubs and finally the only club in town. When I arrived, they organised clubbing trips to Northampton as well, although I am not sure if that still happens to the same place.

Just on the accommodation front, if you're doing law you'll probably be housed in the Verney Park where the accommodation is by far the worst in the university. Search for private housing the moment you arrive, or university-owned housing elsewhere.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by BrownBarbie
so what do u study? im starting this september to do economics and french. what are the boys like?

I study Airline and Airport Management.

Boys ... Hmmm.. Good question:tongue: I can't lie, there are definitely some cute ones but honestly, you have to be careful. There's a mixed variety, some guys just ant one night stands and others want relationships. Piece of advice: Don't worry about boys yet. Personally, I'd make stable friends, settle in and THEN go for the boys :wink:

Sorry for the late reply. Been abroad.
Reply 64
Original post by CC2010
I study Airline and Airport Management.

I think you're confusing Bucks New Uni and Buckingham Uni, as the latter does not offer that course. You must be a Bucks New Uni student offering the wrong advice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Disgrace
I think you're confusing Bucks New Uni and Buckingham Uni, as the latter does not offer that course. You must be a Bucks New Uni student offering the wrong advice.

:teehee: I expect nothing less from a BNU student...
Reply 66
OK, this thread has seriously put me off of Buckingham U.
Original post by al0

Teaching is good, student life is pretty poor unless you can afford to go to Oxford/ MK several times a week.
Reply 68
Original post by al0

It depends on what you want. The social life is absolutely non-existent, however, you can be done in two years rather than three to move on to paid work. This does mean you only get six weeks in total of summer holidays over two years. It's worth thinking what that realistically means for you.

Teaching standards are actually quite good, the languages department is in my experience the best. However, some lecturers are as desperate to leave as the students. It's a pretty unhappy place, but it has improved in some senses. The accommodation department, which I lambasted earlier has allegedly improved with new staff.

The facilities remain fairly run down though as a private university simply hasn't got the funds to keep up with public ones for shinier facilities. They've been making superficial and cosmetic changes to the Chandos Road Building since last term, but in recent weeks it developed a water leak which has destroyed the lobby carpet. That perhaps says enough, but everyones lack of surprise says more.

Personally I wouldn't dream of it, but I do know of several people who intend to, or are doing, their MA here as well as their BA. Clearly some people like it here better than I.

A point I have tried to make is that you should take time to think of the differences between this university and others, and be fully aware of the dead social scene. These non-academic things have made more of a difference to me than I would have otherwise thought, but it depends on you.
(edited 11 years ago)
I will be studying International Studies at Uni of Buckingham from September. Can anyone tell me if the course is more intensive than most due to the two year thing? Are we expected to be in uni all day Monday through Friday? How many lectures and tutorials will we have per week? Thanks.
Reply 70
Original post by Katie London
I will be studying International Studies at Uni of Buckingham from September. Can anyone tell me if the course is more intensive than most due to the two year thing? Are we expected to be in uni all day Monday through Friday? How many lectures and tutorials will we have per week? Thanks.

My impression is that the hours per week are no more than UK universities. I have heard varying numbers, usually slightly more, but from different courses at different universities so I doubt they can compare. The "intense" part relates to the lack of a lengthy summer holiday, so it's four terms a year rather than three.

My degree programme is similar to yours; the norm is three lectures with three tutorials per week. That is only nine contact hours a week, excluding seminars, so it's very likely you will have entire days free.

There is an option for September entry students, who do nine terms instead of eight like July and January entry students, to do eight so in that case you might get more contact hours per week.
My impression is that the hours per week are no more than UK universities. I have heard varying numbers, usually slightly more, but from different courses at different universities so I doubt they can compare. The "intense" part relates to the lack of a lengthy summer holiday, so it's four terms a year rather than three.

My degree programme is similar to yours; the norm is three lectures with three tutorials per week. That is only nine contact hours a week, excluding seminars, so it's very likely you will have entire days free.

There is an option for September entry students, who do nine terms instead of eight like July and January entry students, to do eight so in that case you might get more contact hours per week.

Thanks so much for your reply. Well that doesn't sound too bad... Have you enjoyed the course so far? And what's it like at the weekends? Do you find that lots of people normally disappear home or to more exciting places?! Sorry for lots of questions, it's just so nice to talk to a real student!
Reply 72
Original post by Katie London
Thanks so much for your reply. Well that doesn't sound too bad... Have you enjoyed the course so far? And what's it like at the weekends? Do you find that lots of people normally disappear home or to more exciting places?! Sorry for lots of questions, it's just so nice to talk to a real student!

The course isn't too bad, a bit too history-orientated for my tastes, however. The trend has been of increasingly interesting modules as times goes on. The lecturers have been very good in general, although one module was taught by a PHD student but he was there as a last-minute replacement.

As for the social aspect, I have spoken about it in depth in the thread already if you wish to read it. In my experience, people simply remain home.
The course isn't too bad, a bit too history-orientated for my tastes, however. The trend has been of increasingly interesting modules as times goes on. The lecturers have been very good in general, although one module was taught by a PHD student but he was there as a last-minute replacement.

As for the social aspect, I have spoken about it in depth in the thread already if you wish to read it. In my experience, people simply remain home.

Yeah, I think I start with Micro and Macro Economics which I'm not looking forward to but at least I'll get them out of the way early... Thanks for all your help. So have you finished now?
Reply 74
Hi,
I'm starting law at university of Buckingham this January and I don't want to stay at the university accommodation. Please can anyone suggest any private accommodation. I have checked so many sites and most of the good places are in Milton Keynes, precisely MK9 to MK12. How far are these postcodes from the uni?

I believe that MK9 - MK12 is pretty much central Milton Keynes which is about a 15 minute drive from Buckingham, the X5 bus runs every half an hour or so from the shopping centre in Milton Keynes to Buckingham town centre and costs around £7 for a return.

Have you checked out the local letting agents in buckingham as it's a good place to start. Some tend not to rent to students and I know that some ask for up to 6 months rent if you're not originally from the UK.

Heres a list of some of the letting agents in buckingham:
http://www.faulknerproperty.co.uk/
http://www.open-doors.co.uk/opendoors/
http://www.studentkeys.co.uk/

Student keys is a agency that exclusively deals with the student population of buckingham and all your bills etc are included in the cost of your rent which you pay termly like you would do for the university accomodation.

Hope that helps
Reply 76
hello, I'm looking to apply to the law program at the university of buckingham , can anyone please tell me what I should write in my personal statement? And what my academic reference needs to say?
Thanks!
I study business myself but I know a lot of my friends who study law currently focused on what the reasons for wanting to study law in the first place were. For example:

Was there a defining moment or past experience in your life that has made you want to study it etc.
Any relevant past experience in the field and also what sets you apart from others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Hey thanx! i have a good idea now for my personal statement, but what if i dont have any experience in the field or other such assets?

Original post by tom_markwell
I study business myself but I know a lot of my friends who study law currently focused on what the reasons for wanting to study law in the first place were. For example:

Was there a defining moment or past experience in your life that has made you want to study it etc.
Any relevant past experience in the field and also what sets you apart from others

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd just play up the strengths that you have. I also wouldn't worry too much about the personal statement. Are you a UK student or international?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending