The Student Room Group

Applying directly to the University *not through UCAS*

I was wondering about how many courses you can apply to directly with the uni website. For example, University of Buckingham has to options on their website to either apply directly or by UCAS. Therefore does that mean it is possible to apply to 2 courses directly outside of my 5 choices on UCAS or not.
By the way I haven't sent off my UCAS application.
(edited 4 months ago)
Direct applications to courses covered by a university’s contract with ucas are an alternative to using ucas - they aren’t possible to use in addition to using ucas. If a university accepts an application when you have a ucas application then they will need you to decline all your ucas offers and apply to them using extra or clearing eventually. They’ll also know that you haven’t included them in your ucas application so they aren’t in your top 5 choices.

Basically it’s not really worth the bother. If you want to apply to a university then use ucas and include them as one of your choices. Direct applications aren’t a cheat to get more choices.
Original post by PQ
Direct applications to courses covered by a university’s contract with ucas are an alternative to using ucas - they aren’t possible to use in addition to using ucas. If a university accepts an application when you have a ucas application then they will need you to decline all your ucas offers and apply to them using extra or clearing eventually. They’ll also know that you haven’t included them in your ucas application so they aren’t in your top 5 choices.

Basically it’s not really worth the bother. If you want to apply to a university then use ucas and include them as one of your choices. Direct applications aren’t a cheat to get more choices.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Reply 3
University of Buckingham is a PRIVATE Uni that operates outside UCAS.
Original post by McGinger
University of Buckingham is a PRIVATE Uni that operates outside UCAS.

Sorry can you explain what you mean by private.
Original post by _k_a_i_t_o_
Sorry can you explain what you mean by private.

McGinger just did.
Reply 6
Buckingham generates its income entirely on student fees and endowments; it does not receive direct state funding, therefore it doesnt have a research base or extensive academic facilities. It runs 2 year compressed degrees that appeal to overseas applicants, and it has very limited academic credibility. Its also tiny - it has 3,000 students, not all on campus, and therefore very limited student facilities.

If you want the full student-experience and a degree that means something, go somewhere else.
Original post by McGinger
Buckingham generates its income entirely on student fees and endowments; it does not receive direct state funding, therefore it doesnt have a research base or extensive academic facilities. It runs 2 year compressed degrees that appeal to overseas applicants, and it has very limited academic credibility. Its also tiny - it has 3,000 students, not all on campus, and therefore very limited student facilities.

If you want the full student-experience and a degree that means something, go somewhere else.

Thank you for explaining. I’ll take your advice and check other places 😁.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending